PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3 Lip Sync Overview

ebrady
06-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Hi all, I have put together a set of overview videos for the Lip sync functionality I am working on for Vixen 3. This is the first time I have put together summary videos, so bear with my "newbie-ness" in this area. Here are the links and their table of contents.

Video #1 (https://vimeo.com/97548729)
0:00 - Introduction
1:58 - setting up Display, new Template
4:34 - Setting up the preview
5:50 - New sequence items for Lipsync
6:55 - Lipsync to String/Pixel Mapping Overview
10:04 - Creating a Lipsync Map
13:20 - Default Mappings
14:55 - Setting Default Map

Video #2 (https://vimeo.com/97607990)
0:00 - Introduction and recap of Video #1
1:05 - Sequencing a Lipsync element manually
4:54 - Overview of Papagayo
8:32 - Importing Papagayo Files
11:50 - Lyric to Phoneme Converter - Part #1

Video #3 (https://vimeo.com/97621229)
0:00 Introduction and recap of Video #2
1:33 - Sequencing of Alvin and the Chipmunks
2:24 - Audio Processing to enhance Vocals
5:17 - Converting Lyrics to Phonemes with Text converter
7:01 - Text to Phoneme conversion using Marks
12:30 - Chipmunks Sequence with audio
16:55 - Other effect possibilities

Video #4 (https://vimeo.com/99042054)
0:00 - Introduction
0:50 - Review some possible types of Lip Sync element configurations
3:35 - Review of setting up 8 "Dumb" String configuration
4:21 - New program options to simplify setup for smart pixel strings of varying length
14:38 - New Feature - Pixel Matrix / Mega Tree Mapping
20:10 - Import/Export of Images into Map Matrix Editor

(NOTE: In the section beginning at 0:50, I make several references to the "software" not supporting a Pixel Matrix while pointing at the Vixen3 Display Configuration.
I realize after posting the video that this will likely cause some confusion, "software" in this case means the LipSync module code, not Vixen3 itself).

Please note, the desktop recording software was unable to keep up when I tried recording the previews in videos #2 and #3 so the LipSync effect does not look as if it is working correctly even though it was.

kevr
06-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Great job Ed

The videos are well done and the feature looks terrific. I love the 2 options, as you said there has already been a lot of work gone on to sequence songs so being able to easily bring them in is a bonus.

Thanks a heap!!

Kev

Popo-B-Trippin
06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Absolutely amazing! Great videos and even better development!

Looking forward to playing around with this.

Roterhead
06-08-2014, 06:07 PM
This is so kewl, great work! Now let's see what I can do for Halloween...

ebrady
06-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks all!

I welcome all feedback and suggestions on the functionality, good or bad.
Also, it is likely you will stumble across a bug or two, so let me know if you do and I will make sure it gets corrected.

I will periodically update the links above as bugs are found and fixed.

Ed

algerdes
06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Thank You! Good stuff!

barbotte
06-08-2014, 11:11 PM
WELL.. I kind of hate you right now ... as it look i will have to build more prop .... lol
quick question though .. will it be possible to copy /paste from 1 sequence to the other like in v2 ?? i understand with pixel element it it nearly impossible because not 2 person as same amount of light ect ..but with animation they could be almost standard ,,, and that would make my life way easier as I SU#$% at sequencing ...cheer

ebrady
06-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Sorry to cause you more work! :lol:

Do you mean copy between Vixen 3 sequences or something else?

If Vixen 3, yes it is possible to between sequences with different setups.

#1 - Copy between V3 sequences of the same profile/display setup - Original and target effects are duplicates of each other

#2 - Copy between V3 sequences created with different profiles/display setups
a - If the target sequence's profile/display has a mapping with the same name as the originating sequence, the pasted effects will use the mapping with the same name in the target profile.
b. - If the target sequence's profile does not have a mapping with the same name as the originating sequence, the pasted effects will use the default map in the target profile.

In both of the #2 cases, the target mappings could be significantly different from the original and it will work for both. (For example, if one sequence uses Props with 8 strings, and the other uses a Props with a 200 pixels, it will work for both ).

WELL.. I kind of hate you right now ... as it look i will have to build more prop .... lol
quick question though .. will it be possible to copy /paste from 1 sequence to the other like in v2 ?? i understand with pixel element it it nearly impossible because not 2 person as same amount of light ect ..but with animation they could be almost standard ,,, and that would make my life way easier as I SU#$% at sequencing ...cheer

barbotte
06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
quick question ,,,, is it or will it be possible to used that feature on a pixel tree ?? so i could have a mouth talking in the tree ?? or something like that ?? cheer

ebrady
06-09-2014, 11:11 PM
My intent was to allow the use of a Pixel Grid/Tree, so it should work but I have not tested it yet.

To do it, just add all pixels in your element to a Lip Sync map, and then specify how each individual pixel will map to the Phoneme.

(Side Note): To help with making large LipSync Maps for pixels, I implemented the ability to select a multiple check boxes on the Lip Sync Map Dialog and then toggle their state by pressing space bar. An example of this is shown in Video #1 section "Creating a Lip Sync Map". This will also work for setting multiple colors at once, you just need to select all colors you wish to change, hold shift, and double click the color cell.

quick question ,,,, is it or will it be possible to used that feature on a pixel tree ?? so i could have a mouth talking in the tree ?? or something like that ?? cheer

ebrady
06-09-2014, 11:19 PM
I have updated the links in post #1 to fix a couple of reported issues, with the 64-bit version.

battle79
06-10-2014, 04:29 AM
I would think a really easy way to use this on your tree would be to add all the individual pixels that will be used as the outline under the outline group.
Do this for each Phoneme.
Then you still only have to create the lipsync map for 8 channels.

If this isn't possible then I think we would love to see it implemented.

Regards,
Rowan

ebrady
06-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Yes it can be done this way, but only after I make a small change to the form used to select channels for LipSync Map. I will see if I can get that implemented later today.

After having had the night to think about it, I plan to play a couple of days creating pixel matrix maps with the mapping dialog to assess its usability for managing a large number of pixels in a pixel matrix. More to follow...

I would think a really easy way to use this on your tree would be to add all the individual pixels that will be used as the outline under the outline group.
Do this for each Phoneme.
Then you still only have to create the lipsync map for 8 channels.

If this isn't possible then I think we would love to see it implemented.

Regards,
Rowan

scottmcm
06-11-2014, 01:09 AM
SWEEEEET! Thank you!

tripplett
06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
After having had the night to think about it, I plan to play a couple of days creating pixel matrix maps with the mapping dialog to assess its usability for managing a large number of pixels in a pixel matrix. More to follow...
Great job on the Lip Sync stuff!!!

I'd love to have some control over individual pixels, like the LOR SuperStar module, so I could make things easily on my pixel mega tree like a hippo for my wife's favorite song - I want a hippopotamus for Christmas. The ability to make stuff like this outside of Nutcracker or another module has been a big sequencing hurdle for me in Vixen 3.

ebrady
06-11-2014, 12:18 PM
The code does allow you to control down to the pixel level, but to keep the videos from being too long, I only showed examples that used strings.

With that being said, the Lipsync map Editor is somewhat unfriendly to large pixel counts at the moment and configuring it for a large mega tree / matrix will be tedious. I am working on an improved version of the Map editor that is more friendly to this type of setup. I hope to have something ready to show in the next week if life doesn't get in the way. :)

tripplett
06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Excited to see it. The tree is 12 strands of 50 pixels so it's not a 360 degree tree. It's more like a CCR tree.

codec101
06-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Just what I was looking for! I had started playing around HLS for face animation however all my sequences thus far had been done using Vixen 3 so I am thrilled that all I had to do was add my face channels and install the module. So far working great, haven't tested it with the actual prop yet, I hope to do that later but it seems to be working fine in preview.

I do have one question / request. I did use the mark manager to mark where the words are, some are spot on and some are harder to get just right because of the way they are sung / held out, etc... It's not a matter of hearing the vocals, they are heard just fine in the song I am working on however in trying to get the phonemes into just the right spot for the entirety of a sung word, I think it would be easier we could make a dummy channel, maybe within the lipsync element that when you type your lyrics in to be converted it places the word in an effect bar that you can drag or shrink as need so we have a clear visual of when that word starts and ends and can adjust the phonemes as needed. Kind of like the "word" special control channel in HLS.

Just my two cents.

Love it, keep up the good work!

ebrady
06-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks codec101!

You will have to forgive me, I have not used HLS very much and am not completely familiar with how it handles words. The control channel idea does seem like an interesting approach.

For Vixen3, I have been kicking around the idea of how to group phonemes into words. I figured the timeline would display the word and lock the phoneme group's start/end times into that of the word element. Dragging the word would cause cause all phonemes in the group to adjust accordingly, and resizing the word would shrink the phoneme group while maintaining a percentage of their original size. The individual phoneme properties could still be edited after being grouped as word via double-click.

So far I have tried a couple of approaches, both time I ran into architectural / code structure issues that caused me to abandon the effort. I think this type of feature can be accomplished, I just need to give it some more thought.

Ed

codec101
06-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Ed,

Just throwing this little bug out there, don't know if it's known yet or not.

Using the 64bit version, the mark tab open on the left with a mark collection enabled and selected, with the lipsync text converter window open, while playing back a song and hit PAUSE due to trying to get words lined up, if I right click the timeline to ADD a mark than click the drop down menu to select the newly added mark, it erases the list of marks in the text converter window and if you click on the mark collection drop down menu, in erases the name of whichever one you select.

It does not seem to delete the marks collections or any marks as you can go to the mark manager and all the marks are still there, you just have to retype in the collection name in the mark manager when it happens and then you can keep going. Just a little hiccup, nothing major. I just need to remember to note where the mark needs to go and hit STOP, then add the mark. After doing it that way, the new mark can be found at the bottom of the marks list in the drop down.

I also broke my marks collections up into 2 - 3 collections in order to help keep them straight in the even something happens with the collection while adding new marks on the fly or when using the tapper function in mark manager.

davrus
06-24-2014, 08:06 AM
The bug related to changing things while paused has been fixed, but the fix is probably not in Ed's version. Work is in progress to produce a new Dev Build, which hopefully will include both the "pause" bug fix, and Ed's Lip Sync new feature.

ebrady
06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I have added Overview Video #4 to the top of this thread , it goes over a new feature - Lip Sync for Mega Tree / Pixel Matrix and discusses some other usability enhancements made to the latest version of the Lip Sync module. I included links to my personal builds if you want to preview the functionality now, but the "Official" build from the development team should be ready soon.

Ed

algerdes
06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Ed,
Just watched the 4th video. Now you have me thinking I didn't order enough pixels. 48 x 48 hanging matrix? Sure thing. :)
Good stuff. Looking forward to using it.

ebrady
06-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Hah! Sorry for the troubles I've caused... :biggrin2:

Ed,
Just watched the 4th video. Now you have me thinking I didn't order enough pixels. 48 x 48 hanging matrix? Sure thing. :)
Good stuff. Looking forward to using it.

tripplett
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I included links to my personal builds if you want to preview the functionality now, but the "Official" build from the development team should be ready soon.

Ed

Ed, great work. Vixen 3 is quickly becoming the best sequencing software out there. Do you know if they are going to 'refresh' the nutcracker portion and get it up to date with the base Nutcracker? When I compare the version in Vixen to the main Nutcracker I notice a number of missing Effects. There are also features missing. One example is the ability to use two effects and having one as the mask for the other.

Roterhead
06-25-2014, 10:20 AM
+!!

Ed, great work. Vixen 3 is quickly becoming the best sequencing software out there. Do you know if they are going to 'refresh' the nutcracker portion and get it up to date with the base Nutcracker? When I compare the version in Vixen to the main Nutcracker I notice a number of missing Effects. There are also features missing. One example is the ability to use two effects and having one as the mask for the other.

ebrady
06-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks triplett

I am not sure about what the plans are for nutcracker as I have not heard any discussions on it recently. Someone else from the Dev team will need to chime in on what the plans are, if any, for a refresh this year.

I am hoping to complete my plans for a megatree and/or matrix this year. If so, it will be something I will be interested in also.

Ed

Roterhead
06-25-2014, 10:42 PM
The latest version of Nutcracker, as well as the dev trajectory would be really nice if a way to incorporate into V3. I've some props that are easy to setup and program with V3, not so much with Nutcracker (for some of the effects). Yet the latest version of Nutcracker has some really awesome effects..

I hope we can hear from the dev team a roadmap for the rest of the year.

ebrady
06-26-2014, 07:47 AM
OK, so for all you fine folks out there who have taken time to try out this functionality and provide feedback THANK YOU! You "bravery" has helped find a number of issues with the code and provided valuable feedback. If you haven't look at it yet, I encourage you to come on over to the "Light Side" :naughty:

My time is becoming limited as I have two other major Christmas projects going on right now, so I wanted to hear from you on what you feel are the most important features are missing. I figure with a list in hand, I can organize my efforts and spend time where it yield the biggest bang for the buck this year.

So far here is a list based upon your feedback in no particular order.

#1 - Add the ability for the Lip Sync Map to be used as a mask for other effects. For each element in the map, instead of picking a static color, allow the user to specify another Sequencer Row which contains the effect(s) to use. This would allow for more sophisticated effects to be specified for Lip sync elements. (i.e. Color Gradients, Random Eye blinking, alternating colors, etc).

#2 - Modify the text converter to insert phonemes based upon marks made at word syllable divisions. - This will make using the Tapper function much more easier to use. The user would then be able to tap out marks based upon the Lyric's "beat" vs having to consciously think about word start/end locations.

#3 - Allow phonemes to be grouped into a single logic unit representing a word. This "Word" effect would act as a master to its associated phonemes and would allow them to be more easily managed as a group.

#4 - Add new mapping functionality to control Servos for Animatronics.

#5 - ???????

Ed

Roterhead
06-26-2014, 06:59 PM
What a contribution you have made for this year. I've been only able to watch so far as I'm trying to get my 4th stuff done...

#1 on your list would be my #1. In review, I was thinking the colors would be rather restricted when using Pixels and this would really open up possibilities. I would hope there is a way to specify a row / element by Name so a form of indirect effects could be used. That would really open up (literally) special effects around eyes and mouth... (or heck the outline as well).

#3 Would be next in my opinion. With some song elements having a complex Phoneme set, I think the grouping would be kewl.

I would request a Zig-zag option be looked at for the matrix. To reduce wiring on matrix panels this is really a "must have". I'm working on a matrix this year and the rows will certainly be a zigzag in nature. For Me, I plan to use a E682 which can fix this at the controller level, but not sure about everyone else.

Gnarmstr
06-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I second the Zig-Zag for the Matrix.

ebrady
06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I have had multiple requests for the zig-zag feature, and have started thinking about it.

I am coming to the conclusion that this feature is really not specific to just the lip sync module and requires changes to the system in multiple places. Specifically, to templates used to setup the matrix and mega tree display AND preview elements, and possibly the nutcracker code also.

It is possible to use zig-zag matricies/mega trees with Vixen3 today, it just requires a lot more work to patch channels, setup preview elements etc. It usually requires one to "settle" for previews that are not accurate. So the "feature" would be more of one that would take out the tediousness of the existing functionality.

I would like to get people to gather some opinions on this.....

What a contribution you have made for this year. I've been only able to watch so far as I'm trying to get my 4th stuff done...

#1 on your list would be my #1. In review, I was thinking the colors would be rather restricted when using Pixels and this would really open up possibilities. I would hope there is a way to specify a row / element by Name so a form of indirect effects could be used. That would really open up (literally) special effects around eyes and mouth... (or heck the outline as well).

#3 Would be next in my opinion. With some song elements having a complex Phoneme set, I think the grouping would be kewl.

I would request a Zig-zag option be looked at for the matrix. To reduce wiring on matrix panels this is really a "must have". I'm working on a matrix this year and the rows will certainly be a zigzag in nature. For Me, I plan to use a E682 which can fix this at the controller level, but not sure about everyone else.

codec101
06-30-2014, 08:26 AM

1: That is already doable, for the eyes and outline anyway. For instance, instead of mapping my eyes and outline in the lipsync map, I only mapped the mouth positions. The eyes in my case are ran on two channels. I am using incans in my faces therefore I placed the "Set Level" effect in my eye channel to be on 100% when the face is to be visible and randomly made breaks in the second eye channel to achieve the blinking of the eyes. If I were using pixels, I would just as easily drop a nutcracker effect in place and have the eyes and or outline glow, color wash, etc.

My suggestion in order to make it so the rest of the mouth positions can change color would be to (and I hate copying HLS again) would be to have it so when you place the phonemes on the face channel, it places the basic effect (on) in the corresponding channel according to the map for that position. Then one could double click on that and choose to change the effect to whatever they desire, keeping it the same length (and/or locking it to the associated phoneme length)

2. I've already suggested the word control channel where you would have a "dummy" channel that just acts as a visual aide so you can drop and drag the beginning and end of the word out to make is easier to place the phonemes and other effects. Don't even necessarily have to have the phonemes "locked" into that group.

3. My other suggestion would be for the preview. Would be nice to have a clickable button that would place a face object and it's mapped channels on the preview rather than having to hand draw the face strings individually.

4. I had another but lost it.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Gnarmstr
07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Just had time to try this out and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I do everything as per the video (for a matrix) and I don't get anything displayed, either on the Vixen preview or my Matrix grid. I have tried this on my two PC's and the same.

ebrady
07-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Can you send me your profile and send me your sequence? . I will take a look at it.

Gnarmstr
07-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Check out the Vixen site Ed on JIRA as I have uploaded my profile for the nutcracker issue.

Must be just me causing these issues.

Geoff

ebrady
07-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Didn't realize it was you Geoff. I will take a look later on tonight and see what's up. It has been pretty busy for me today. I have not had much time to look at the NC issue either

Ed

Gnarmstr
07-14-2014, 05:55 PM
No worries Ed. Thanks for your help. Thought I would ask here first to see if it was a common issue.

ebrady
07-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Geoff,

I looked at your profile. Their seems to be some kind of issue with your preview, the 36x37 grid was rendered really small and partially obscured and I could not see the 24x112 grid at all. I tried to go to the preview editor, and the editor would only show a grey screen. I wasn't getting errors or exceptions thrown either, so not sure what is happening there...

I decided to start with a "fresh" preview, so I disabled your preview and created a new one with just the 24x112 grid. I mapped in about a minute of random face movements and everything appeared to work as normal.

Here is a copy of the work I did using your profile - Open up the "Blank" sequence to see the example and watch the preview.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/CloudBerryMain/Public/GeoffProfile.zip

Ed

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 01:10 AM
Strange as the preview works for me using the other elements and with nutcracker (except color issue).

Please don't say I have to redo my entire preview as that took forever. Will look at what you have tonight.

Thanks again ed.

Geoff

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Sorry to be a pain Ed but i downloaded the above profile and do i need to change any on the settings files as when i open the blank sequence i do see all the mouths on the side matrix but it doesn't display anything when played and when i look at the lip sync profiles there is none for the matrix.

Will keep playing but not sure whats going on.

Geoff

ebrady
07-15-2014, 06:09 AM
You shouldn't need to change anything, double check that preview #2 is still enabled in your preview settings.

Double click one of the lip sync effect mouths, verify that new map(1) is selected as the map. Check one at beginning, middle and end of sequence.

Finally, go into the lip sync map editor and verify that you see the bitmap data for each mouth position for New Map (1) .

Are you waiting for the sequence to finish rendering before playing the first time? This can be evidenced by the "Rendering Elements" progress bar at the bottom left of the screen. Your sequence has a lit of elements, rendering was taking a fair amount of time on my end.

Post your log file, the fact you see this and a color issue with NC might be related

Ed

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Ok thanks, I just checked and I must not have waited for it to render. Normally it would only take less then 10sec to render but it took around a minute to render the one you sent.

Do you suspect I will have to redo my entire preview.

I will work on this and try not to bother you again.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Using the lip sync matrix feature can increase rendering time,especially for large matrices. In the example I sent, each mouth effect requires 2,688 separate renders. If you re-enable your preview and wait the required amount of rendering time, can you see the side matrix? Hold off on re-doing your preview, the fact that I wasn't able to repeat your Nutcracker issue could mean that the preview problem is on my end.

Can you post your error logs, I would like to take a look at them to see if anything weird is going on with the system.

I will do some more checking..

Ok thanks, I just checked and I must not have waited for it to render. Normally it would only take less then 10sec to render but it took around a minute to render the one you sent.

Do you suspect I will have to redo my entire preview.

I will work on this and try not to bother you again.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Oops, I see the zip file contain the log files, I just didn't see them.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 07:22 AM
I moved your profile over to a new machine and re-checked it using the 64-bit version of vix3 and your preview now works fine, the side matrix appears to be rendering correctly with the lipsync images also.

Nice preview, I can see why you don't want to redo it! The first machine I tried it on was 32-bit and had a lot less horsepower, so that may be why things are not working on my end. 25K channels tends to get processor intensive :).

Attached is a snapshot of your preview with both matrices visible.

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Well it does seem to be working with both matrix on my preview however it's upside down. Strange because nutcracker text is the right way up.

Just checked output to lights and yes it's upside down and the red mouth is coming out blue and green just like the nutcracker text.

Man I hate software, I'm sure it's user error.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 08:04 AM
To flip it around, go back into the lip sync map , click assign and uncheck the top to bottom or right to left check mark. Click ok and the re-import the bitmaps for each mouth position. This should fix it for you after everything re-renders.

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Doesn't matter what combination I use it will not flip to the correct way. May just have to flip using Photoshop and import it upside done then it works.

Just need to sort out why the colours are not working correctly.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Hmmm... That should work, might be a bug.
Let's try one last thing to troubleshoot. Go back into the map, click assign and clear out the existing element mappings, uncheck the box and re-add the matrix elements. . Click ok and then re-import all of the mouth bitmaps .

I know this is quite a bit but it will help me narrow it down if there is a bug in the code.

After doing that, completely exit vixen, including the admin screen and restart.

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I think I know the issue. In the setup display I have added the matrix from R36 down to R1 I think if I reverse this it may work. However when i first did my matrix I had R1 to R36 and the nutcracker text was upside down and this is why it is now the other way around. My string goes horizontal and not vertical.

Also I think I just figured out the wrong colours, because it is a zig zag matrix all I did in the setup display was every even row I did a straight patch and every odd row did a reverse patch. However correct me if I'm wrong but I now think it's not as simple as that and I will need to go to every channel and reverse the three color channels.

There is still an issue at least with the yellow selection in nutcracker.

Edit: tried what you said above and no go. It will flip left to right.

Edit: Need something like in xlights for custom matrix.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Sounds right, I bet that will address the color issue. On the upside down issue, I saw that behavior while troubleshooting the lip sync issue on my end but corrected it by in checking the box. The fact that the rows are defined R36 to R1 shouldn't matter.

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Defining the row that way defiantly made a difference when I was trying to figure out why nutcracker text was upside down.

Because my strings a horizontal and then only get the option for left/right and not bottom/top, the way you set it up was for a vertical one and this is probably why you could uncheck the box as it was up/down.

Tomorrow night I will sit down and change the patching to see if that was the color issue, will take some time though.

Sorry for wasting your time but you have helped me out heaps and I really appreciate it.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I will play around with it today. Hmmm. It just hit me, this is likely due to the matrix being defined row x col and it expects col x row. I will add a new feature to address this if it is the case. It unfortunately will be a while before I can get to it. Best bet is to flip in Photoshop like you mentioned.

ebrady
07-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Looks like we are typing at the same time :)

Gnarmstr
07-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Cheers, will let you know my outcome.

Gnarmstr
07-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Me again Ed, sorry for all the posts but I'm using Vixen daily for my 2014 Xmas show and keep finding things.

I have found in Lip Sync that when I create a new Map for my Matrix and start drawing and select ok and then add it to the sequence nothing is gets displayed.

However I have found that I need to import a picture, can be anything then select clear to remove the picture and start drawing again. This will now start displaying what I have drawn. I only need to do this initially once for each Phoneme.

Let me know if you would like me to raise a bug.

I hope I haven't confused you.

Cheers

Geoff

ebrady
07-18-2014, 07:46 AM
No problem, I appreciate you the help in finding problems. I am away from my dev machine today and it will be later today before I can take a look at it.

Gnarmstr
07-20-2014, 07:35 AM
It just took me a while, however I worked out that I shouldn't draw something in Photoshop and save as JPEG then import to Vixen as even though in Photoshop black is 0,0,0 (RGB) when saved as JPEG even at lowest compression it seems to change the RGB value slightly and making black more like 0,1,0 or 2,0,0 effectively turning on lights slightly when they should be off. So for anyone thinking of this you will need to work as save a as a Bitmap image so the compression doesn't stuff it up.

Geoff

ebrady
07-20-2014, 08:36 AM
I spent a little bit of time looking into this issue. A bug I noticed on my end was that whenever I draw on the matrix, and save it, the Default Map changed. This might result in the behavior you are seeing as the elements you are adding may have a mapping different then what you would expect.

Can you verify that is the cause of the issue you reported in post #58? If so I will get a fix into the next dev build. The work around until then, is to reset the default map anytime after you make a drawing change.

Let me know if the workaround works

ed

Gnarmstr
07-21-2014, 12:58 AM
I will check it out tonight Ed and let you know.

Gnarmstr
07-21-2014, 03:33 AM
I can confirm the default map does change back, however I'm not sure if this will be the cause of the need to import a picture first before you can start drawing or the imported picture would not work either.

Your the expert.

Cheers

Geoff

ebrady
07-21-2014, 06:42 AM
I am having a problem recreating this with the profile you sent earlier, go ahead and enter a bug in Jira and post the latest zip of your profile. I will get to it once I am finished up my current project

Gnarmstr
07-21-2014, 07:38 AM
No worries Ed, not a big issue as it only happens the first time I create a map, anytime after it's fine.

Gnarmstr
07-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Out of interest what's your current project, new feature or bug fixes?

adski
07-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Let's just say .... a lot of people will be happy to see it 24410

Gnarmstr
07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Now that sucks, how about a clue, even Apple can't hide what changes their making. :biggrin:

adski
07-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Well, "apple" is a clue .... and only slightly cryptic!

Dave

ebrady
07-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Even I don't get the apple reference! :question: :)

Geoff,
It is a new feature, I just want to work out some of the finer details of it with the dev team before talking about it with a larger audience because it skew's the development path temporarily. Soon :)

Discussions are ongoing on the Vixen3 developer's mailing list.

Ed

Gnarmstr
07-22-2014, 07:18 AM
No worries Ed, apart from some of the bugs, my preference would be Vixen performance as my display seems to stutter a bit during some sequences and could be at random times, I think due to the large number of channels and effects.

ebrady
07-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Duh, finally go the apple reference... :blush2:
I really need a vacation! :)

Well, "apple" is a clue .... and only slightly cryptic!

Dave

codec101
08-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Is there a way to add a drop down list on the text converter window to select which map you want to use when converting a word / phrase.

The reason I ask is because I am adding a second face now and finding out I have to change the default map in the lip sync menu in order for the text converter to map it to the right face even though I place the effect in on the channels corresponding to the second face.

Thanks!

ebrady
08-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I can take a look and get back to you sometime this weekend. One possible work around , is to define your map to cover all 4 faces at once and then place the effect only at the start of the particular face of interest.

codec101
08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Mmmm. It's not a huge deal, I just have to remind myself to switch the default before I go placing the phonemes. I supposed I should go through and do the lyrics for one face all the way through then work on the second but I'm in the habit of working on one chunk of a song at a time, usually in like 1 minute chunks.

I do successfully have two faces singing in a sequence now though, "The Zing" song for the kids :)

ebrady
08-10-2014, 12:05 AM
codec101,

I must have been asleep when I read your first post. There is an option on the main LipSync menu which should work for you.

You can place phonemes on the new face using ANY of your available maps. Once finished, select all of the phonemes on the new face and then select "Change Effect Map" in the Lipsync menu. It will change all of the selected maps to the new map you choose. Let me know if this does not work for you.

I would be excited to see "The Zing" song when you have it playing!

Ed

Mmmm. It's not a huge deal, I just have to remind myself to switch the default before I go placing the phonemes. I supposed I should go through and do the lyrics for one face all the way through then work on the second but I'm in the habit of working on one chunk of a song at a time, usually in like 1 minute chunks.

I do successfully have two faces singing in a sequence now though, "The Zing" song for the kids :)

codec101
08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
codec101,

I must have been asleep when I read your first post. There is an option on the main LipSync menu which should work for you.

You can place phonemes on the new face using ANY of your available maps. Once finished, select all of the phonemes on the new face and then select "Change Effect Map" in the Lipsync menu. It will change all of the selected maps to the new map you choose. Let me know if this does not work for you.

I would be excited to see "The Zing" song when you have it playing!

Ed

Ok that works, didn't pay attention to that option in there before.

Here is a small preview of just the faces, turned off the rest due to the desktop recording software being barely able to just keep up with this, FPS wise. It's a little laggy still but works for a sneak peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6VV00b1dK4

livinglightshows
09-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Ed,

I have not read this whole thread but I watched the videos and was wondering if you ever added support for creating a Pixel Matrix Map where the pixels are zig zagged? My pixel matrix is 6 strings starting at the top left. Each string of 170 pixels zig zags for 34 columns and 5 rows. I would like to create a singing face of a Lego man head.

Thanks.

jchuchla
09-24-2014, 02:33 PM
There should be no need for the lip sync functionality to be aware of zig zag hardware layouts. This is one of the reasons for abstracting the elements from the outputs. The elements and preview should be created in a non-zigzag fashion. Management of your hardware layout should be done downstream of your "creation workflow". It can either be done in hardware configuration or in patching, your choice.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livinglightshows
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I would like to get Ed's feedback on this because I do not think what you are saying is correct. When you create a lip sync map you need to create the phonemes using the pixel matrix GUI he created.

There should be no need for the lip sync functionality to be aware of zig zag hardware layouts. This is one of the reasons for abstracting the elements from the outputs. The elements and preview should be created in a non-zigzag fashion. Management of your hardware layout should be done downstream of your "creation workflow". It can either be done in hardware configuration or in patching, your choice.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes you're correct in this part. But this is all before zig zag comes into play. Lip sync is work done in the element domain, not the channel/controller domain. Zig zag is a hardware convenience concept. It allows you to reverse wire a pixel strip to save on wiring. You wouldn't design your element layout with any regard to where the pixel addresses are located. That's what patching is for.

--Jon Chuchla--

ebrady
09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
idleup,

Jon is correct. The matrix zig-zag is setup as part of display patching as it is specific to how the matrix is wired. Lip sync only renders rows and columns as they are viewed. To convert the viewed row and column to the actual pixel address is part of the patching process.

Ed

ebrady
09-24-2014, 04:56 PM
idleup

Your PM box if full

grahami2006
09-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi Ed,
Great improvement. Can you just advise me that if I use dumb strings I can set the mapping up as strings and not pixels?
Thanks
Graham

ebrady
09-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks.

Yes, you can set it up as dumb strings. The first video covers how to do this. Feel free to ask me questions if you run into any issues

mhedman
10-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow! Love it. I just wished that I had watched the videos before completely manually programming my first song. Though it did give me a good experience. I'd defintely add a +1 to allowing for changing the color on a per item basis, not just in the map. And secondly, would be to use this as an overlay on effects. I can see having the mouth fade out as a song draws to the end.

Thanks so much! And next time I'll look for a video tutorial before I try new functionality (though, in reality, it wasn't that bad. lots of copy/paste)

ebrady
10-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I think you may have been the first that I know of to manually program a song since the feature was added, congrats! :) Glad it was a good experience. I have a list of new features that I am planning for next year. I am thinking about ways to do fades, color changes, eye blinks, etc at that time.

mhedman
10-03-2014, 04:51 PM
That is sounding great! It's on github? If you do eye blinks, you should have settings for randomness for the blinks like blinks per minute or something like that, and then generates them.

Big_Mac
10-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi,
The Lipsync editor is excellent! Is there a way to select independent colors for common pixels used in multiple phonemes or are the pixels locked to the same color for each one?

ebrady
10-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks Big_Mac.

The answer is no.... and yes.....

Option A:
Vixen 3.1 Build 46 - The LipSync String Mapper does not allow you to set the color independently for each phoneme. This is a change I plan to make in a future release, but it is unlikely to hit this year. As a possible, but more involved, workaround you can use a Matrix / Megatree map in a (String) x (Pixel per string) configuration and then map the phoneme colors independently for each string. The future string mapper will use a similar concept.

Option B:
I recently implemented a feature where the colors, gradients and dimming curves of individual phonemes could be overriden on the timeline. This is likely to make it into the release after the V3.1 patch release, which should happen within the next couple of weeks. The idea here would be that you could "Explode" the top level phoneme into it's individual components and modify them as needed. Still requires extra work on your part for now but gives you a little bit more capability. Below is a link to the video, the description gives you a time table of contents. This still will still allow you to do it, but still requires a little of time investment on your part.

Remember that it is still subject to change as I have opened it up for feedback in the dev group.

https://vimeo.com/108722950

Ed

Big_Mac
10-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks Ed. I will try both options tonight.

mhedman
10-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Great video! Is that on the dev builds yet?

ebrady
10-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks!

Yes, it is in the latest dev build (#56). You can grab it or wait for the 3.1 bugfix release which is pretty close.

Ed

ImissNixon
10-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Umm wow. This is totally amazing. I've been lurking around here for years without any blinky flashy, but after seeing the potential in this decided to "throw" together a Halloween display. I have a couple of singing pumpkins doing three songs at the moment with a week left to go!

A few comments on what I've experienced so far.

- I lost the maps on two occasions. I originally thought it had something to do with the web server or the sequencer, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. It may have just been that I had started multiple songs before I had finished building the maps, and they reverted somehow.

- It seems to remember the phoneme 'spelling' for new words. After I enter a word once, it never asks again. This is great, but as I'm not sure I always get it right the first time, it would be nice to have access somehow to the dictionary so I could correct (or at least delete) errors.

- I've been using the word marks to input. This has been relatively easy (the phoneme mark method made me break out in hives) but the equal spacing obviously does not always represent the way the word is formed. it seems some phonemes-sounds ('M' and 'S') are always proportionally shorter in a word. It's not that big a deal to adjust, but if you had a chorus or an oft repeated phase it might be helpful to have a dictionary that track a weighted spacing in a word (e.g., the word "see" is 15% "s", 85% "e".) Just an idea, like I said it's not a big deal.

Other minor items - Not sure if in the module you can add the ability to select-all in the text-to-lipsync box on triple-click. It would be nice to be able to just triple click and then type the next set of lyrics rather than finding the beginning or end and scrolling.

When using the word-mark method to insert lipsync phonemes, it would be great if the offset mark was automatically advanced to either the last used or last used + 1 value. I can't count the number of times I clicked insert and thought something was wrong only to later realize that I had inserted (often several times) my intended text at the start of the last phrase, which was often off the screen.

Anyway, none of this was to imply that what has already been done is totally awesome, the items at the top of my list are already things that you have indicated are in the next release.

Thanks again, and thanks from the singing pumpkins (http://youtu.be/1RllHQ6kqOg).

baldylox
01-13-2015, 10:04 PM
for some reason i hear no audio (its muffled) from any of the 4 videos in chrome using the vimeo site and youtube. I cranked my audio up to 100 and it sounds like you are whispering in a tin can. ANy chance of looking into this and/or reupping the videos?

ebrady
01-13-2015, 10:13 PM
I checked the videos on Vimeo, they sound fine on my end, I use Chrome also.

They where never uploaded to YouTube.

for some reason i hear no audio (its muffled) from any of the 4 videos in chrome using the vimeo site and youtube. I cranked my audio up to 100 and it sounds like you are whispering in a tin can. ANy chance of looking into this and/or reupping the videos?

ebrady
01-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I must have missed this post back in October, sorry for the really late reply. :) See below for replies.

- I lost the maps on two occasions. I originally thought it had something to do with the web server or the sequencer, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. It may have just been that I had started multiple songs before I had finished building the maps, and they reverted somehow.

There was an issue I found were the maps would not get saved until Vixen3 was existed completely. I changed that behavior and the fix went in either 3.1u1 or 3.1u2. I plan to do some work on this code this year and will be keeping an eye out if this bug still exists.

- It seems to remember the phoneme 'spelling' for new words. After I enter a word once, it never asks again. This is great, but as I'm not sure I always get it right the first time, it would be nice to have access somehow to the dictionary so I could correct (or at least delete) errors.

There is a workaround you can do to remove user defined mappings you would like to later get rid of. Look for a file in your profile directory call user_dictionary. You can either delete this file, which will wipe out all of your custom mappings, or open it up and find the line with the custom text. Once found, Delete the whole line to remove the entry.

When using the word-mark method to insert lipsync phonemes, it would be great if the offset mark was automatically advanced to either the last used or last used + 1 value. I can't count the number of times I clicked insert and thought something was wrong only to later realize that I had inserted (often several times) my intended text at the start of the last phrase, which was often off the screen.

Not a bad idea here, I will see what I can come up with this year.

Love the videos!

Ed

jchuchla
01-13-2015, 11:07 PM
The videos are on youtube. I put them up last month. I probably should have posted a notice here back when I did it.

They can be found here. I just gathered up all of the Lip Sync series into a playlist for convienence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZlKVvAFrE&list=PLB0X6JfgTpgfrx-FP-JjZ1A-NrpT_JR7q

baldylox
01-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I checked the videos on Vimeo, they sound fine on my end, I use Chrome also.

They where never uploaded to YouTube.

they work on my ipad. not sure why they dont work on my pc. everything else audio related works fine. weird.

Wolfie
12-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Did a video ever get done on using audacity to extract the vocal elements of a song? I scanned all 10 pages but I might have missed it, if so, sorry.

chrisfaas
02-10-2016, 09:27 AM
I may have missed this but, is it possible to individually control the intensity of channels using the lip-sync effect?

For example, I would like to be able to flicker the outline and maybe some of the mouth shapes during different parts of songs.

nono78
08-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Hello,

I'm new on vixen light and i prepare for the first time halloween (A Pumpkin who sing Monster Mash)

Is it possible to share the exemple you present into the vidéo (Map, Template, preview) to facilitate me to understand the concepts?

Thank you very much

bruno

MartinMueller2003
08-06-2017, 09:21 AM
You may want to ask specific questions.

nono78
08-17-2017, 12:10 AM
You may want to ask specific questions.Since my question i understand the concept. I begin my project

Envoyé de mon F3211 en utilisant Tapatalk

theadar
08-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Hello. I'm a new Vixen user and new to the DIY lighting community. I'm trying to put together a Halloween sequence using the LipSync function in Vixen 3.3. The issue that I'm having is that the LipSync effects are not showing up in the Vixen preview for some reason. I've watched the LipSync videos (which were great btw) ... and tried to follow along. I thought it must be a problem with the LipSync map ... but I double checked that and it looks ok to me. Any ideas of what else I should check? Thanks in advance ...

PS: When I try other lighting effects (e.g. set level, chase, etc) ... they show up correctly in the preview.
PPS: I'm planning to use simple dumb LED strands ... no RGB.

TazChaLet
08-25-2017, 12:48 AM
not sure what you dont have setup right I use vixen for my singing tree and it works fine maybe if you have teamviewer I can connect and see what you dont have setup right
Hello. I'm a new Vixen user and new to the DIY lighting community. I'm trying to put together a Halloween sequence using the LipSync function in Vixen 3.3. The issue that I'm having is that the LipSync effects are not showing up in the Vixen preview for some reason. I've watched the LipSync videos (which were great btw) ... and tried to follow along. I thought it must be a problem with the LipSync map ... but I double checked that and it looks ok to me. Any ideas of what else I should check? Thanks in advance ...

PS: When I try other lighting effects (e.g. set level, chase, etc) ... they show up correctly in the preview.
PPS: I'm planning to use simple dumb LED strands ... no RGB.

MartinMueller2003
08-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Most likely the issue is in the map. Take up James on his offer to look over your setup.

theadar
08-25-2017, 10:21 AM
I reached out to James last night and he was kind enough to hop on my system and take a look. We tried re-patching the elements in the display setup ... changing the color profile ... recreating the map ... but nothing seemed to work. After a while, James recommended I try one of the dev builds. No luck there either. I played around a bit more last night. It looks like I have it working now. I had to remove the 'color' properties from all of the channels in the LipSync element. Then, in my map ... I just set all colors to white. I don't fully understand why ... but that seems to have fixed it. Now I can see the previews of my LipSync element.

jeffu231
08-25-2017, 01:18 PM
I reached out to James last night and he was kind enough to hop on my system and take a look. We tried re-patching the elements in the display setup ... changing the color profile ... recreating the map ... but nothing seemed to work. After a while, James recommended I try one of the dev builds. No luck there either. I played around a bit more last night. It looks like I have it working now. I had to remove the 'color' properties from all of the channels in the LipSync element. Then, in my map ... I just set all colors to white. I don't fully understand why ... but that seems to have fixed it. Now I can see the previews of my LipSync element.

This tells me that the colors in the map are not exactly the same as the colors in the color property in the display setup. For it it work they must match. I suspect you would see the effects generated in the timeline to be empty rather than colored which also indicates that the color did not match what the element was set to support.

If you want to upload the non working version of your profile to a ticket at bugs.vixenlights.com I can also take a look and tell you exactly what the issue is.

TazChaLet
08-25-2017, 01:28 PM
it was funny we would set his colors in his color handling and in the map you would only have choose of 1 color that looked like the color of the color set in color handling I had no problems setting up my own singing tree
This tells me that the colors in the map are not exactly the same as the colors in the color property in the display setup. For it it work they must match. I suspect you would see the effects generated in the timeline to be empty rather than colored which also indicates that the color did not match what the element was set to support.

If you want to upload the non working version of your profile to a ticket at bugs.vixenlights.com I can also take a look and tell you exactly what the issue is.

jeffu231
08-25-2017, 03:50 PM
it was funny we would set his colors in his color handling and in the map you would only have choose of 1 color that looked like the color of the color set in color handling I had no problems setting up my own singing tree

Mine have been set up for quite a while, so I have not tried recently. I certainly would like to see it so I can determine if there is something that needs to be fixed.

TazChaLet
08-25-2017, 04:24 PM
I did find if you try to do anything with my lip-sync now it errors out what am I dong wrong now I have dev build 455

https://vimeo.com/231133872

Mine have been set up for quite a while, so I have not tried recently. I certainly would like to see it so I can determine if there is something that needs to be fixed.

jeffu231
08-25-2017, 04:34 PM
I did find if you try to do anything with my lip-sync now it errors out what am I dong wrong now I have dev build 455

https://vimeo.com/231133872

Anything in the logs?

TazChaLet
08-25-2017, 04:43 PM
yeah just cleared it out and redoing it tried different ways and always errors out vixen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmi2fr1cjke145w/Application.Fatal.log?dl=0

Anything in the logs?

jeffu231
08-25-2017, 05:00 PM
yeah just cleared it out and redoing it tried different ways and always errors out vixen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmi2fr1cjke145w/Application.Fatal.log?dl=0

Ah, that issue was fixed in build #456. Grab the latest.

TazChaLet
08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
ok thanks Jeff yeap that was what the problem was guess I need to keep up on my builds 3 day ago I upgraded to the one I had lol

Ah, that issue was fixed in build #456. Grab the latest.

theadar
08-26-2017, 12:35 AM

I created a ticket:

http://bugs.vixenlights.com/browse/VIX-2155

theadar
08-26-2017, 11:35 AM
FYI, I opened a vixen ticket:

http://bugs.vixenlights.com/browse/VIX-2155

theadar
08-27-2017, 12:32 PM
I opened up a ticket a few days ago. For some reason, my posts aren't showing up :/ Ticket is VIX-2155

jchuchla
08-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Your ticket was resolved and the fix included in the 3.4 release. Are you not getting the email updates for your ticket?
The problem has to do with colors not matching. It's a really technical detail. But in certain cases white and 255,255,255 are not technically equal. Jeff corrected the code to use the numerical value and not the named color. I forget off the top of my head which step was using the named color. So you may need to recreate that object with the new release to make it work. Hopefully jeff will chime in with specific instructions on what needs to be recreated to fix your profile.

theadar
08-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Your ticket was resolved and the fix included in the 3.4 release. Are you not getting the email updates for your ticket?
The problem has to do with colors not matching. It's a really technical detail. But in certain cases white and 255,255,255 are not technically equal. Jeff corrected the code to use the numerical value and not the named color. I forget off the top of my head which step was using the named color. So you may need to recreate that object with the new release to make it work. Hopefully jeff will chime in with specific instructions on what needs to be recreated to fix your profile.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any email updates. Also, when I check the ticket it still shows as unresolved. I'm glad to hear that the issue was fixed. Should I just grab the latest dev build? Or is there a stable 3.4 version I should try?

Gnarmstr
08-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any email updates. Also, when I check the ticket it still shows as unresolved. I'm glad to hear that the issue was fixed. Should I just grab the latest dev build? Or is there a stable 3.4 version I should try?

Grab Version 3.4, this is a major release and the most stable.

jchuchla
08-27-2017, 07:10 PM

Actually I think I had your issue confused with another. Yours is still marked as new. That being said. Download and install the 3.4 release. I think it'll help with your issue.

jeffu231
08-27-2017, 07:17 PM
I have not had a chance to look at his issue specifically since he opened the ticket, so I can't say if it will fix it or not. I have it on my list to take a look at in the next few days.

Javierc9
06-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Hi Ed/Support

When I create a word using lipsync it seems the bright intensity defaults to 100%.

Where can I lower bright intensity for Lipsync words?

Version 3.4u3 Build #508

Thank you
Javier

jchuchla
06-04-2018, 11:42 PM
There's a few different ways you can do this. which you choose depends on whether that element should always be dimmed by a fixed level, or if you want to be able to variably dim it over the course of a sequence, or if you want it fixed for a given lipsync mapping. The first two methods are universal and aren't lipsync specific.

If a you want a certain element to always be dimmed by a certain amount, you'd do this by setting up dimming curves for those elements in the display setup screen.

If you want to be able to vary the brightness over time, then you'll want to use layers. Set up a new layer as an intensity overlay type. Then you can use set levels or pulse effects assigned to that layer. These effects will serve to modify the intensity of the effects on the lower layer.

The last method would be to modify the lipsync map to use colors that are less bright. This method is lipsync specific since it works by modifying the mapping.

jimbo3301
06-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Hello

I'm using the Lip Sync feature to map a face to my mega tree. I cant figure out how to blink the eyes using the stock phonemes. Any suggestions?

Jim

jchuchla
06-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Hello

I'm using the Lip Sync feature to map a face to my mega tree. I cant figure out how to blink the eyes using the stock phonemes. Any suggestions?

Jim
The current lipsync effect doesn't manage the eyes at all. you can either include them in all the phonemes, or not. If you want to animate the eyes separately from the lips, you'd need to do that separately. If you want the eyes to normally be on whenever the lipsync effect is present and showing a phoneme, you're best off to include the eyes in the mapping to the phonemes and then do the blinking manually.

Lights for eyes can be arranged in different ways, but the most common is where you would turn off the top half of the eye to make it look closed. To get this kind of eyes to blink, you use a black set level on an intensity overlay layer above the layer the lipsync effects are on. You'd put this black set level onto the top half element where you want the blink to be. If you want to randomize the blinking you can play around with using a different effect like the twinkle to control the blink.

Another style of eyes has each eye set up with an outline around the eye and a line across the middle. With this style, you'd have the eye set up as two elements and you'd toggle between the two for open and close. in this case, you would still use the layered set level as above, to make the outer eye turn off for the blink. But you will also need to turn on the inner line. For this you'd use a white set level on the inner line element. this white effect would be on the same layer as the lipsync effect, not the intensity overlay layer.

We're actively working on a revamp of the whole lipsync system for this year's release (late summer). This will include easier ways to control the eyes. We're planning on including automatic randomized blinking in there since it's a common request. Even though it's commonly requested, most people don't realize that actual random blinking really doesn't look that natural. There's a lot more that goes into blinking naturally. We hope to get something that looks reasonably close.