PDA

View Full Version : Lettering ? For lit signs

TERBObob
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok , am trying to get ideas on how to make some letters that light up , WITHOUT using
1) rope light - sorry , just don't like it
2) those pre-made ones that CHRISTMAS LIGHTS makes where you simply insert the lights into the snaps where you want to form the letters - look tacky having extra little minis dangling around on the backside

I am wanting each individual letter to light up upon demand , not all together at once .

Anybody else done this and willing to share their ideas/plans ?

omzig
05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't have any details worked out, but I planned on making "letter boxes" by painting the letters on Plexiglas and then backlighting them with C7's or C9's. I like the method that Kevin used for his "Tune to" sign, where he used letter decals to mask the paint. Since C7's or C9's can be used individually, it would be easy to use only the lights you needed for each letter.

DennisB
05-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I had a boilermaker out at my work weld and bend me up some letters out of 8mm round bar. Didn't use them last year but they look pretty good I think, letter height is about 460mm. Was going to wrap them in mini lights, however I still haven't decided.

Dennis

TERBObob
05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey Dennis ,
Any chance of getting some pics ?

mrpackethead
05-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Floursent paint and black lights are great! paint something with 'dazzle' paint, and flood it with a 'black' light.. Just make sure that you mask the light between letters..

I bet theres a million ways of doing this.

gizmo
05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
im planning to use 1/4 rd bar stock and bend each letterafter heating the bar--will be about 12 inches tall, however im with you about what to do with the extrs lights. Im going to use strings of 50 to cut down on the excess and maybe 70 count if needed, I guess i will just use blackouts to hide the leftovers. Unless of course someone posts the idea to end all ideas.

Wayne J
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
im planning to use 1/4 rd bar stock and bend each letterafter heating the bar--will be about 12 inches tall, however im with you about what to do with the extrs lights. Im going to use strings of 50 to cut down on the excess and maybe 70 count if needed, I guess i will just use blackouts to hide the leftovers. Unless of course someone posts the idea to end all ideas.

1/4" is overkill IMO, 1/8 would be plenty, could go 3/16"

I am making my mini trees this year from 1/8" rod.

hutchijw
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
www.woodmerechristmas.com
Under the pictures page, there are a few viedos. I used the snap in ones and used light caps on the extra lights. I think it looked ok. I also added a HowTo a long time ago here

jeffathompson
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I just bought an LED sign off E-Bay

Frank
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I went to the local sign shop today and they will make a stencil 24 by 18 in most any color. They will place the stencil on a 24 by 18 plastic and you remove the letters of the message. Make a box and light it from the inside. The stencil is about $35.00. That is what I plan to do.

Carl B Zachary
07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Here's JR Mesh Letters How To.

http://www.lights4christ.com/meshletters.html