PDA

View Full Version : Quick case and Power Supply for the 595

Keith R
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I have been putting this off until I had the whole thing built and running, but I wanted to share my solution with others.
I have 2 595's, 2 REN-C's, and a REN-T. I wanted to save space and not have the extra power supply, and was growing weary of what to use. Since I was going to keep the controllers inside, a waterproof case was not a necessity. I was talking to Wayne J one night in chat and he suggested using an extra computer case, and the problem was solved.
I would have 5 volts and 12 volts at my disposal with 450 watts of power. That is 35 amps at + 5 volts.
So I took an computer case and cut out the drive bays.

Keith R
04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Then I took an 11" x 14" piece of plexiglass and fitted onto it stacked 595's and REN-C's so that the CAT5 cable would line up and the lengths could be kept to a minimum, in this case, 2 inches. I also added the REN-T, and then fitted the plexiglass to the back of the case, using standoffs. This computer has a 'see-through' side with an LED fan. All I need to add are the Blacklights inside the case and i am all set.

deplanche
04-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Are you at all concerned about the plexiglass generating any static, that will harm the components?

I use plexiglass all the time for picture frames, and found that if I clean it with the wrong dust rag, it will attract more dust due to static than i get off of it. Perhaps this is just my area/house, where i have to have the house closed up most of the winter and it gets very dry.

ppohlman
04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Looks like a great enclosure. Make sure to add some pictures when you're done with everything. I bet it will look awesome with the backlights on!!

Wayne J
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Looks great Keith! Keep us posted with progress. :)

nathank
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Looking excellent!

Just curious, is it possible that you may get interferance from having the two 595's and Ren-C boards stacked like that due to the high refresh rate?

Keith R
05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Are you at all concerned about the plexiglass generating any static, that will harm the components?

There has been much written about the use of plexiglass and its static properties. I could go with a sheet of aluminum instead (or attach directly to the aluminum case), but since there are many PC cases in use made of plexiglass, and the fact that many windows and sides are made of plexiglass, and that the plexiglass is attached to the case by means of aluminum standoffs, and I won't be touching components frequently, I am confident that it will work OK.

Just curious, is it possible that you may get interferance from having the two 595's and Ren-C boards stacked like that due to the high refresh rate?
I have talked to other people about this and some other issues, and I am increasing the standoff height from 1 1/4 inches to 2 inches. I am sure that many have their boards side by side as close as this. This should eliminate any issues as far as inteference.

This is more about using the computer case as a nice looking, space saving, functional all-in-one enclosure/power supply. I hope that the stacked components do not cause a problem and I will be running my first test this weekend as I am waiting on a couple of things. I certainly will let you know as I am curious about some things as well.
Keith

hutchijw
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Just wondering if there is a final picture on this project?

Keith R
06-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, There will be final pictures. Originally, this was a project that I put together to save space and have a functional case and power supply. I thought it would go together very quickly. I ended up out for a month with health issues and other family concerns.
Any way, this gave me time to reflect on what I was doing and I had to take several steps back. I decided to paint the case, used the wrong primer and a lesson learned. Then I read about making the power supply stable and worked on that. There were things I could have done better from the start had I planned better. The case is complete now and I will be sending the information and pics to lbro for the newsletter.
Keith