PDA

View Full Version : Price of copper wire. Going up.

Rocketman4
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Estimating for an Electrical Contractor as some of you know now is not the time to be buying wire. Copper is going up as fast as Gas. I can't tell you if by Christmas deadlines that it will go down so watch for clearance items. If you plan on adding circuitry, or a sub-panel for your display watch the prices. I am curious to see if light strands reflect the increases. Sometimes if you buy the left-over cut pieces of wire from HDepot or Lowes it will be at a discount price.

Macrosill
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Good thing I started the wiring of my extension a couple days ago. 750' 14/2, 250' 12/2 and 250' 14/3 romex. All thats left to do it the a/c compressor and air handler when it gets installed and the cat5, RG-6Q and some other low voltage stuff.

eschnell
04-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I've got a pile of scrap pile of copper I plan on cashing for my next Mouser order :)

Wayne J
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
hmmmmm, I wonder if that jug of pennies I have is worth more now? :p

jeffathompson
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a whole pickup load of dead lights from Starvation Army and Craigslist and everybody I know. TIme to burn them and turn the copper in.

kmc123
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I just finished an electrical upgrade TODAY :-(
Thankfully, his quote was about 6 months old, and he stuck to it!!!

AaronG
06-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Thankfully, his quote was about 6 months old, and he stuck to it!!!
You got lucky most quotes have a time limit

Photovor
08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
hmmmmm, I wonder if that jug of pennies I have is worth more now? :p

Before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Then after 1982, the compostion was 97.6% zinc, and 2.4% copper. There's tons of sites out there with information on the metals in coins, and how to reclaim them. If they're before 1982, they're definitely worth more than a penny.

ben
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Then after 1982, the compostion was 97.6% zinc, and 2.4% copper. There's tons of sites out there with information on the metals in coins, and how to reclaim them. If they're before 1982, they're definitely worth more than a penny.

Looks like I know what I am doing!! My grandpa passed away and he had 3 tums bottle full of penny's I ca garuntee he has them back to the 50s and 60s. I bet there is plenty of pre 82 pennies!

Ben

Matt
08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Too bad it's illegal to melt them down...

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=press_release&ID=724

-Matt

Photovor
08-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, not to get too off track of the subject, but I meant to post this earlier:

Current Melt Value of Coins: http://www.coinflation.com/
Shows that a pre 1982 penny is worth about 2.3 cents now.

Where does it say that you can melt coins? Well, that's part of the problem. It doesn't say anywhere that the U.S. government is ok with this. But, go to the U.S. Mint web site and search for "illegal". You'll get this result:

1. Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

The keyword is fraudulent. When you take a 25 cent piece and try to pass it off as a Sacajawea Dollar, that's fraud. When you take a Buffalo Nickel, and scratch out one of its legs and try to sell it as a rare collectible, that's also fraud. But when you melt a pre-1982 cent, and sell it for its copper value, that's genuine and legal.

Jeffrey
09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Been noticing the decrease in copper prices trickling down to Lowes/HD. 250ft of 12/2 has come down to $68 from $74 over the past few weeks. I'll be all over it once it gets back to $40 or less. :)

-Jeff