PDA

View Full Version : Crashing when saving Preview

TomL8345
01-15-2014, 03:00 PM
HLS has started crashing when I go to save my Preview.

The issue seems to start when I open Preview. I am opening HLS > Open Sequence > Preview > Edit New Preview > Pick Preview > I then select my saved preview > OK > I then get a window with "Preview Background Bitmap Image was not found. Would you like to Pick a Different One? > No > Preview opens with my background and all my display elements. I can then add new display elements as I should, but when I click on SAVE in the Preview ToolBar > HLS Crashes > I have sent a couple of Debug notices to Joe through the program.

Then the next time I reopen HLS > Open Sequence > nothing happens. I can then close HLS and reopen and everything is working as before. Also all the display elements I added before the crash come up the next time I open the preview.

I am using Windows 7 Pro. HLS version 19N

Please let me know if I am doing something incorrectly, or if this is indeed a bug.

Thanks,

angus40
01-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I am using 19n also without issue .

Have you at any time , moved your bitmap from it's original location ?

When you initially created your preview HLS stores the path info and requires the bitmap be there when it is requested .

I have swapped out my bitmap and replaced it with a solid black .bmp .

However I made absolutely certain that the image is in the exact location as when I first created it .

TomL8345
01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you at any time , moved your bitmap from it's original location ?

No, I had been having an issue initially getting my background to load at all, then I found the User's Guide in the Wiki, determined I had not installed HLS properly, blew away my original install, and reinstalled properly. I was then able to get my background image to load. At that point I was able to Save using the button on the Preview ToolBar. This issue did not arise until after I had started adding display elements to my preview. I have not touched my background image since I was able to get it to load properly.

angus40
01-15-2014, 05:14 PM
you could try editing your image in windows paint and save it as a .bmp .

if you have not all ready

TomL8345
01-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I already did edit my image in win paint, I have a 1250x750 24-bit .bmp image that was initially working fine on my 1600x900 resolution monitor. The image still comes up even though there is an error message saying it cannot find the image. That error was not there when I started working with Preview.

I have my image residing in a folder HLS/Library, I got that direction from an out of date users manual that was on the Wiki. The previews are being stored in this folder as well. Is this where HLS is expecting these files to reside?

angus40
01-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I keep my image in my pictures folder :)

Is 1250 x 750 a standard resolution ?

I found that non standard resolutions do not play well !

TomL8345
01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
No, 1250x750 is not a standard resolution. That size fit my widescreen monitor well. I guess I could reconfigure my preview image to a "standard" resolution and set up a second Preview. I would hate to lose the work I have put into my current Preview, but better now than having bigger problems later. I will give that a shot and see what happens.

JHinkle
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I would not make the size full screen size - DirectX does not like that.

Go into the Library and open the Preview file with Wordpad and look at the path for the background image.

Fix it and your screen size.

Joe

TomL8345
01-15-2014, 07:01 PM
I would not make the size full screen size - DirectX does not like that.

Go into the Library and open the Preview file with Wordpad and look at the path for the background image.

Fix it and your screen size.

Joe
Joe,

My image size is 1250x750 which is less than the 1600x900 resolution of my monitor. My Image is stored in a folder I created in Libraries/Documents/Christmas Lights/HLS/Library

I am not sure what you mean by "Fix it and your screen size"

angus40
01-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Swapping editing your backgroud image should never cause you to lose your work provided you account for these two things.

1)The path to the image can not be changed

2)the image name has to be/match exactly as the original .

If you have this in mind > you can swap your background image when ever you like ! :)

JHinkle
01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Joe,

My image size is 1250x750 which is less than the 1600x900 resolution of my monitor. My Image is stored in a folder I created in Libraries/Documents/Christmas Lights/HLS/Library

I am not sure what you mean by "Fix it and your screen size"

As I stated before ... in the Library - find the Preview File and OPEN it using WordPad.

It is an XML file.

You will see the path to the background image and your screen size.

Fix what you need to.

Joe

TomL8345
01-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Joe,

I have resolved my issue, but it was an interesting journey. All of the files and folders I check were in there expected locations, so I backed HLS up to a thumb drive, then I deleted the program from my HDD. I reinstalled HLS following the instructions on the Users Manual from the wiki and started a brand new sequence. I resized a picture to 1280x720 and saved it as a 24-bit .bmp file in the new HLS/Library folder that was installed. I did the Preview set up following the wiki instructions and loaded the background picture and saved the preview and exited.

When I went to reopen Preview and went to Pick Preview, when I choose the preview I had just installed I received the error message of "Preview Background Bitmap Image was not found. Do you wish to replace?" This time I answered YES, the HLS/Library folder opened with the same background image I had just used setting up the preview, I chose that image again. Since then I have had no issues with Preview. I have added all my display elements and I am currently assigning the display groups to the preview with absolutely no issues.

I have also successfully added my the sequence and channels I had set up originally with everything including preview functioning as expected.

I do not know why I had this issue, but reinstalling the background image a second time seems to have solved all my problems to date.

Thought you might like to know my experience. I am now back to loving the program.

Tom L

JHinkle
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
You had a problem with your path.

HLS kept asking you to tell it so it could be fixed .... but you were ignoring the poor thing.

Once you made it happy --- it made you happy.

The world turns on happiness.

Joe

DrNeutron
01-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I think Joe is turning into a hippie after the comment above....
I think I found a picture of him:
:biggrin:

JHinkle
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
You starting to understand how old I am.

I had a pair of big bell bottom jeans I had hidden for many years from my wife (of 43 years). She found them, screamed, and threw them away.

The world was a little less happy that day.

Joe

TomL8345
01-16-2014, 11:15 PM
You starting to understand how old I am.

I had a pair of big bell bottom jeans I had hidden for many years from my wife (of 43 years). She found them, screamed, and threw them away.

The world was a little less happy that day.

Joe

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!