PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

mwalz
01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Now this may sound like a stupid question, but will this:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/standard-hook-head.html

Work with 1 1/4" fence post rail from home depot. I realize the size will be the same, but i just need an answer and can't seem to find it. I don't really wanna use black iron pipe because i am building 3 mega tree's next year, and i need to keep cost down. I am building a 20' tree and 2 15' tree's. I just need to know it this will work for fence post rail.

Thanks,
Matt

Wayne J
01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
I am sure with some ingenuity it will work. You may have to fabricate an adapter or something, heck it may work on it's own.

Take some measurements and do some comparing of the two materials.

Jack Stevens
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Short answer, yes it will work, but you'll probably have to get the end of the fence post threaded somehow.

I have the next product up; the sliding hook-head that uses the pulley top with guy arms. I did a little price research; felt that was the best for me. I didn't like the idea of fence post because the walls of the post are too thin for me to be comfortable with.

The hook head shuttle thing and the pulley top was about $80 or so, considerably more than the $25 or so for what you're looking at.....plus I paid Harbor Freight another $23 for the winch. But consider this - how are you going to get the lights on the hooks? Put them on at ground level, and try to walk the thing to be vertical? Your fence post will likely buckle, but it may work. Use a painter's extension pole and hang them up there once the pole is vertical? I hope you have good hand/eye coordination; I don't.

If you are only doing a 10' tree or so, you can stand on a step ladder and do it. That's how I do my 10' megatree.

My 21' tree uses a black iron pipe I got from Sanford Steel and Pipe Supply for about $40. The "big Box" hardware stores didn't have the pipe in that length.

The most expensive part will be the lights. I do 24 strands and it looks a bit thin to me, but I was doing 32 strands on my 10' megatree (16 22' strands up then back down)

Whatever you decide on, put it up in a practice run while the weather is good and you have time to work some alternatives if you don't like it. Secure a jack-o-lantern on the top of it and wrap a sheet around the hook head for Halloween to give yourself a chance to check your guy wire stability (that's a good excuse, anyway).....

CaptKirk
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
The sliding hook head really works out nicely. I made one out of one of these:

(This is the foot off of one of those temporary car shelters)

Drilled 32 holes in it (I run 32 channels of 32' LED strings folded in half to get TWO 16' runs out of one string hooked in the middle). Cut old coat hangers, and looped it around through 2 holes then bent the ends into hooks. Here is the tree with 16 strings (doubled).

Unfortunately I cant find my closeup pictures of finished head - but it was nice and inexpensive!!! I don't use a winch, just a single pulley at the top w/ rope and I haul it up and down with the 32 strings on it.

EDIT:

They have METAL ones also here: http://www.kingcanopy.com/content/canopy-foot-pads.asp

Xenia
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Use Rigid Electrical Conduit in 1.25". It is galvanized and the same strength as black pipe and much stronger than EMT or Fence post rails. Although EMT is stronger than fence post rails and comes in 1.25" also.

You can use the following for the EMT or fence rail (although it will spin some), but the rigid electrical conduit comes threaded and fits the hook head. I used that one my first year but went to the crank up head the second year.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/slip-over-hook-head-adapter.html