PDA

View Full Version : MediaWiki hosted on this server?

stempile
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Brian -

Would it be possible for you to host a MediaWiki site on this server? MediaWiki is the same software used for Wikipedia. Its really easy. I know that KC has one, but it seems older and more cumbersome to use. Media wiki is quick to pick up and maintain. If it goes no where then just dump it.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

I would really like to see a single format for howtos and other information that everyone can add too and maintain. We tend to get lots of information that is hidden in the forums...

ms

Macrosill
05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Matt,
Yes, KC has a wiki over at Vixenlights. I exchanged emails with him about it and he wants to leave it where it is, understandably so.

If the interest is here I will gladly place a wiki on this site for us.

Who is interested in a Wiki here at this site?

kostyun
05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
might be a good idea for a "good" wiki for the how-to's , commong questions, etc

Matt
05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I am definitley in favor of a wiki here.

One thing, if you use MediaWiki, I would get a nice Christmas-themed skin for it! It would make things interesting and not confusing with Wikipedia.

-Matt

stempile
06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Here is a tool that will allow us to access the 'purposed' mediawiki site with the existing phpBB user accounts. This would give access to both this forum on phpBB + MediaWiki using the same accounts created in phpBB.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PHPBB/Users_Integration

How hard would it be to add a wiki link in the phpBB menu? I haven't looked into the guts of phpBB yet. Might then be able to seamlessly hit the wiki without having to sign in, like the chat.

Thanks

Macrosill
06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I am looking into adding Mediwiki for OUR wiki software. What are YOUR feelings on this particular package? Any other suggestions? If so please provide a link to a current wiki utilizing your suggestion so we can all see what it looks and feels like.

stempile
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I am looking into adding Mediwiki for OUR wiki software. What are YOUR feelings on this particular package? Any other suggestions? If so please provide a link to a current wiki utilizing your suggestion so we can all see what it looks and feels like.

I am sure you were looking for an non-MediaWiki example... I had had experience with MediaWiki, but never installing or administrating it. :idea: So I built a demo site for people to take a look at using MediaWiki; Mostly so I could play with it a little on the back-end too.

Website removed on Thursday 6/7/2007

This is a not a production site, not all features may work. However it should help to see what it could look like. Also note this is a throw away install, nothing will be saved and it will only be running for a limited time.

Thanks

Macrosill
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
I looked at the wiki you setup. It looks good. The how tos can be organized nicely. I like it. Lets see what others think.

Matt
06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I agree. PERFECT for the How Tos.

-Matt

stempile
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree. PERFECT for the How Tos.

-Matt

Not just perfect for the howto, but also for people to detail their shows (more specifically then in the forum), what they were thinking with pictures, design hacks and gotchas. Also great place to hold a dictionary of shorts for all the terms that are getting throw around the forums. The sky will be the limit in terms of the potential uses.

The organization will be lose at first, but as more content is added it will become clear how it should look. I use this for work via searches mostly. The 'Main Page' doesn't contain many links. The power comes from the search.

This is all very exciting!

P. Short
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Who is going to have rights to the information in the wiki? Brian? The authors and editors? How is this usually handled?

--

Phil

A Marchini
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I looked at the wiki you setup. It looks good. The how tos can be organized nicely. I like it. Lets see what others think.

And to add other things to the pile... at work we use WikiASP. It is clean and simple to use.
We are looking to transition to screwturn wiki. I has a nice navigation system and localized discussion for each page.

Tony

stempile
06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
At the time of this post, this thread has been viewed 174 times. I haven't pulled the demo site http logs to see the hits, however I think that everyone that would have checked out the link already did that.

I am going to pull the demo media wiki site off and reconfigure it for other uses.

Since I don't have any current projects on the bench yet, I have lots of time to write wiki doc... Waiting for another co-op or two to get me back in the game.

Macrosill
06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I have been looking into Mediawiki for this site. I have learned that the wiki can be integrated with the phpbb but all logging in would have to go through the wiki, not the board. I would have to disable the bb log in. I do not think this would go well for new users, might be a bit confusing. There are 2 other alternatives. 1. We leave the wiki open for anyone to read and edit. 2. We have a seperate log in for the wiki to edit it. I am pretty sure we can do that, anyone can read it but you must log in to edit it, but not positive.

Another option would be to search for a wiki that can be fully integrated with the phpbb.

tconley
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
The other option would be to use postnuke with pnwiki and pnphpbb so that all of the logins go through postnuke. My friend does this all the time. He has it on his site www.dangerous-minds.net

Macrosill
06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Most of the mods we have will not work with postnuke

stempile
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I have been looking into Mediawiki for this site. I have learned that the wiki can be integrated with the phpbb but all logging in would have to go through the wiki, not the board. I would have to disable the bb log in. I do not think this would go well for new users, might be a bit confusing. There are 2 other alternatives. 1. We leave the wiki open for anyone to read and edit. 2. We have a seperate log in for the wiki to edit it. I am pretty sure we can do that, anyone can read it but you must log in to edit it, but not positive.

Another option would be to search for a wiki that can be fully integrated with the phpbb.

The number of people that will actually edit the wiki will most likely be low , making the login concern a low-issue. So logging into the wiki to edit doesn't seem like a bad thing (browser can handle the login automatically anyway, if you use your browser's cache... While allowing all to view is great. I am still pushing for MediaWiki because of its ease of use and excellent presentation.

I was unable to find the:
www.dangerous-minds.net wiki as noted in the post above. Its seems that for keeping this consistent, having the wiki as a menu like FlashChart would work fine, then to edit you would log in to it. Who knows, the log in issue might change with future version of phpBB or mediaWiki. It can always be upgraded later.

I am going to continue to be a broken record and push for MediaWiki... I think a hand full of people already have a bunch of doc now that would be great to share ASAP, but that doc is in different places, different formats and is hard to search for/on.

ms

stempile
06-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Brian - Its easy for me to push for stuff, its no work for me... So the bottom line is you are the Admin of all this stuff so in the end it will be what you are comfortable with managing for the long term. Don't let me talk you into something that will be a pain to maintain. If you get burned out on this stuff there will be a big loss to the community...

Thanks again all your hard work!!

P. Short
06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I would hope that quite a few people would be editting the wiki. There is a lot of very useful knowledge scattered over quite a few people, little tid-bits of information that each person has come up with. It's really not going to work, in my opinion, if only a few mandarins create and update pages in the wiki. There really needs to have a lot of people contributing, even if most people add only one paragraph or sentence.

--

Phil

tconley
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree

stempile
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I would hope that quite a few people would be editting the wiki. There is a lot of very useful knowledge scattered over quite a few people, little tid-bits of information that each person has come up with. It's really not going to work, in my opinion, if only a few mandarins create and update pages in the wiki. There really needs to have a lot of people contributing, even if most people add only one paragraph or sentence.

--

Phil

That is of course the goal, but will it be reality? I hope so!

But (everyone this is a challenge to make me eat my words) in my experience people will get into it at first, but then it will not likely be updated by many as time goes on just a few, but mostly referenced by the community. I hope I am wrong.

The key will be to set it up in such a way that people will want to start there rather then posting a newbie plea for help like we all have done.

P. Short
06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Perhaps. But it depends on how much new stuff is being done, and how many people are contributing to it. If the field becomes static, or so complicated that only a few can contribute, then there won't be many updates.

But my suspicion is that things will continue to evolve. Three or four years ago it was the Hill-320 design over at cc, then year or two ago it was the Olsen-595, and now it it the simple PIC designs. Next year it might be wireless, or stand-alone, or more DMX emphasis. And that is just the hardware controller side of things. There has been similar evolution on the non-controller side of the hardware, as well the software side. So I think that it could be at least a few years (if ever) before updates really slow down.

--

Phil

Macrosill
06-14-2007, 09:33 PM
The wiki has been added. For the time being you will need the url for it, there is no link, yet!

www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php

Please go there and start to add/edit content. This will only be successful with your participation. Please create an account, it will needs to be separate from the forum acct. for numerous reasons.

P. Short
06-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Question for those using wikis at work...

How are they usually organized? Now that the wiki is here...at least for experimenting with...we should come up with some concensus for the initial organization. There should clearly be a lot of cross-linkage, but is there a lot of heirarchy, or is it best if it is mostly flat with only a few layers (if any) below the first page?

I'm thinking that there should be sections for overall reference material (types of controllers, info on SSRs, types of lights, current requirements for each type of light, trace width information for PCBs, how to etch PCBs, etc), 'howto's for decorations (mega- and mini-trees, wireframes, stars, etc), 'howto's for controllers and SSRs, etc.

--

Phil

Matt
06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I started with a Soild State Relay page. Hopefully this will be a starting point for people to edit.

I would be happy to copy the How To's from CC, but what is everyone's opinion on using these? So long as we reference the original author and link to the original page, will it be OK to copy them? (Google doesn't return anything for 'site:www.computerchristmas.com copyright' or 'site:www.computerchristmas.com (c)', so I don't think there is any written copyright on it, though nothing comes up for 'GNU' either :) )

-Matt

P. Short
06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
See comments on discussion page for the SSR.

--

Phil

stempile
06-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Question for those using wikis at work...

How are they usually organized? Now that the wiki is here...at least for experimenting with...we should come up with some concensus for the initial organization. There should clearly be a lot of cross-linkage, but is there a lot of heirarchy, or is it best if it is mostly flat with only a few layers (if any) below the first page?

I'm thinking that there should be sections for overall reference material (types of controllers, info on SSRs, types of lights, current requirements for each type of light, trace width information for PCBs, how to etch PCBs, etc), 'howto's for decorations (mega- and mini-trees, wireframes, stars, etc), 'howto's for controllers and SSRs, etc.

--

Phil

SUMMARY of Below: Flat is best, Searching is key to success.

We use it at work. When it was first introduced everyone attempted to get their article link to the front page or close to it. Everyone had an HTML web page navigation mind set. It took a while to break that habit.

Several problems come up when this happens. It won't ever be possible to navigate via links to all of the content of a wiki. If you try something will be over looked or the work required to maintain all the navigation will become overwhelming. Most of the power will come from searching the wiki. However that only works if you know what you are searching on, that is tricky for new people, but once you get started it gets easier. Within the forums there will most likely be a lot of links to the wiki as well.

Some thoughts: Having a HowTo Index Article listing all of the HowTos maybe an issue if a new howto is added, but that person does not update the HowTo link article, that HowTo may never been seen. However searching on the subject will likely find the HowTo associated with it or just searching on HowTo. Directing people to use the search rather then maintained navigation will ensure that the most relevant information is presented.

Rather then an index page for HowTos, it maybe better to explain and give examples of "how to search" on HowTo subjects (from the getting started main section). Articles also could be written with TAGS such as HowTo, Newbie, Getting Started. So searching for tags would bring back everything.

An article should be able to be posted without having to worry about updating pointer pages to that article. As a content creator, if you didn't know what pages had to be updated for maintain a heirarchy, it would never happen until someone came along and by chance fixed it.

Keeping the front page lite is best, however it should initially link to several primers about what this hobby is all about and the technology that is involved as well as how to use the wiki. That would provide lots of key words to link from into other pages.

At work our front page has 3 main sections with only a few links in each secion:

Getting Started
Useful Information
Useful Links

Thanks