PDA

View Full Version : life expectency

gizmo
04-17-2008, 01:25 AM
how long do these DIY controllers realisticly last?

and when they do fail is it just the allegro chips that need replacing?

What about the SSRS?
do the triacs go bad or is it the optos that fail? Or something else?

Just asking to determine how many spares oards i need keep on hand, or do i only need spare chips.

thanks for the advise
scott

WWNF911
04-17-2008, 02:18 AM
This community seems so new (under 2 years) that probably most failures so far are self induced. :lol:

Seems so far my rule of thumb has been, Why buy 1 when you can get 2 for twice the price. :)

Leon

mrpackethead
04-17-2008, 03:11 AM
I would guess that the biggest variable is construction quality.

NogginBoink
04-17-2008, 09:28 AM
I see no reason that the Grinch would last any longer or shorter than the life of any other consumer electronics product.

As long as care is taken in constructing the board and reasonable precautions are taken during setup and teardown each year, your board is likely to outlive you.

scharbon
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
A smart person can correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Triac that we use on the SSR rated for about 1,000,000 switches? I am sure they will last longer, but I thought I read somewhere they were rated for that lifetime. Not sure how many years 1 million switches would be - I guess it is based on your show. If you did Wizards in Winter it would probably last 3 months.:p

Steve

rlilly
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
If your movers are as good as the one that moved me from NJ, I'd say about 1-2 months, depending on how long its in storage....:rolleyes:

ErnieHorning
04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
A ... aren't the Triac that we use on the SSR rated for about 1,000,000 switches?
They switch 120 times a second. You’ll hit a million in two and half hours.

scharbon
04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
They switch 120 times a second. You’ll hit a million in two and half hours.

Well then - I am way off base - I wonder what I read than made me think they had a finite number of on/off cycles? Whats even funnier is last year I was being really careful with my show to make sure I "preserved my triacs" so my SSRs would last for a couple of years.:oops:

That does it - this year if I don't induce at least three epileptic siezures a night from flashing lights - I will consider myself a failure!!!! Thanks

Steve

Wayne J
04-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Well then - I am way off base - I wonder what I read than made me think they had a finite number of on/off cycles? Whats even funnier is last year I was being really careful with my show to make sure I "preserved my triacs" so my SSRs would last for a couple of years.:oops:

That does it - this year if I don't induce at least three epileptic siezures a night from flashing lights - I will consider myself a failure!!!! Thanks

Steve

That's the spirit!!!! :cool:

tommy
04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd think you'll be safe just stocking a few spare triacs, opto's, and Allegro's (if that's the chip your boards are using). Those are the only "active" parts on the boards and would , in my opinion, be the most likely things to fail. My guess would be that the cat5 cables would be the weakest link in the system. So having a few extra cables (or the ability to make them) would be a good thing to have as well.

just my 2-cents worth...LOL

Tom

gizmo
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
thanks to all for the info!!!!

All you guys and gals are the best for info and not making fun of us newbies.

Thanks again
scott