PDA

View Full Version : Unable to view/create library files

Heldwhat Christmas
12-22-2013, 11:23 AM
When I select Library -> Make New Library and enter a library name, I get the error message "Failed To Create New Library"
When I select Library -> Just View - See What's Available none of my libraries show up.

I have used Libraries sparingly (not since last year), but I see 2 library files (hlsLIB) in the my HLS/Library directory, they are from very old version of HLS. I don't care if I get those library files working, I just want to create new ones.

I copied HLS over to my new laptop and am now on vacation without access to my old laptop for troubleshooting, not sure if the transfer to a new computer is the challenge.

I am running Windows 8 now (before was Win7), and tried running HLS as an administrator with no luck.

I am able to open and modify my sequences just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

JHinkle
12-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Your going to discover this is not an HLS issue.

You have a computer issue.

Windows is not allowing a file to be created.

Make sure your folders are not write protected.

Make sure there is a Library folder UNDER your HLS folder. HLS attempts to create that every time it starts - so if it's not there -- you have a security issue.

Check security and write-protect on your Library folder.

Hope that helps.

I just noticed you are on Windows 8.

Sorry - don't have access to Win8. I don't like it - none of my commercial customers use it - so I have no way of knowing if there are unique OS issues.

Joe

Heldwhat Christmas
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks Joe. Since it was able to save sequence files and their backups I didn't think that was the issue... I also thought running as administrator allowed me to create folders/files but apparently not in Windows 8. Grrr. There is a Library folder under HLS, and I would have thought I could view my existing libraries.

I do get an error creating a new sequence (can't make a new folder) so I definitely have an issue with user rights and will work to fix that. Family just got up so won't be until tonight or the morning.

JHinkle
12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
My commercial software and HLS uses Microsoft's MFC.

I keep the code very simple and vanilla.

Simple C++ with none of the fancy things some developers try to use.

The result is that the product is easy to debug and becomes stable very quickly.

Please let me know what you find with Win8.

I usually find that some "Backup" or "Antivirus" programs will affect security or "lock" files/folders.

Since HLS uses vanilla MFC -- I an really interested in what you find with Win8 that is causing the issue.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Joe

angus40
12-22-2013, 03:14 PM
This may shed some light on win8 issues in apps writing to the root > c:\

http://forum.esforces.com/threads/154363-Windows-8-Lacking-permissions-to-write-in-C-(root)

Heldwhat Christmas
12-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Joe,
I've spent several hours on this and can't get it working... Would it be possible for you to include the path of the folder it's creating in your error message when it can't create a directory for a new sequence?
The reason I ask is I've found some odd behavior that may be a clue:
I unzip HLS as a "fresh" install. I'm able to create new sequences. I close HLS, rename the HLS directory to HLSTest and rerun HLS. When I try to create a new sequence I get "Error creating the Folder for your sequence".
I delete that directory.
I unzip HLS as a "fresh" install. I rename the HLS directory to HLSTest and I'm able to create new sequences.

I'd like to confirm something screwy isn't happening with the path in Windows 8, so if you could have the full path and/or the error code in that error message it would be much appreciated.

The reason I started thinking of the path was some other unusual behavior I found:
While I was getting the error creating folder for a new sequence I tried running HLS as an administrator 3 ways:
1 - right click on file, properties, run as admin.... get error creating folder
2 - right click on file, run as admin... get error creating folder
3 - click on file, in windows explorer click manage, run as admin... able to create folders, but they are in my windows system32 directory!!!

I've also tried putting my HLS folder in downloads, my documents, and program files, none of which helps. Have also tried lots of different settings and permissions on the folder which I won't go in to the detail here.

I consider myself to be pretty windows proficient but Windows 8 is a mess! Hopefully it's just a learning curve.

JHinkle
12-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Just released 19E that adds Filename/Path to error message.

Let me know what you find.

Joe

Heldwhat Christmas
12-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Joe,
It appears several commands such as create library and create new sequence use a hard coded directory (probably from HLS_Directory.sys) that I believe gets set on the first run of HLS. I had renamed the folder after running HLS which then causes error messages occur when trying to create a new sequence or access my libraries because the old directory structure name no longer exists.

For me this happened because my HLS directory has been HLS_7X since last year and as part of transitioning to my new computer I was cleaning up the name to just HLS. Easy enough fix once I understood the issue - just needed to unzip a fresh version of HLS and name the directory what I wanted before running it the first time, and then just copy all my HLS child folders over.

To "fix" you could update the path in HLS_Directory.sys each launch but I'm sure that would break other things. I actually thought from the last menu item under File that everything was relative to the exe, and not hard coded (that menu item also says HSL instead of HLS :wink:).

JHinkle
12-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks - I changed HSL to HLS in the menu.

THAT command sets the Path to all of the folders.

When HLS starts -- the Path contained in HLS_Directory.sys is used to inform HLS where the folders are.

Do you still have an issue or are you all set?

If you still have an issue -- please clarify.

Thanks.

Joe

Heldwhat Christmas
12-30-2013, 01:03 AM
I am all set.

If people rename or move the HLS folder they will get errors when creating new sequences or accessing their libraries because HLS_Directory.sys doesn't know the folder changed. Up to you if you want to take that in to account.

Hope that clears it up and thanks again for all the work you have done on HLS.

JHinkle
12-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Just to point it out ... if you do rename or move the HLS directory --- use the File Menu selection to set it to the Main HLS Sequence Folder to a new location.

Restart HLS and all should be fine.

Joe