PDA

View Full Version : Wondering why closing the preview is a few minute ordeal, why it's soo expensive

Livermore-Dad
12-10-2013, 01:18 AM
I don't understand, I'm shutting the preview down. but it still does a bunch of things with working elements. Takes a long time actually. Just wondered why stopping or disabling the preview is so costly. I understand the starting of the preview, but the shutting it down?

Tory

Livermore-Dad
12-10-2013, 01:26 AM
2 Minutes and 38 seconds without me doing anything else, just watching it.

Tory

Lionking_Tx
12-10-2013, 02:08 AM
You must have a slow computer - Mine shuts down in "only" 45 sec :)

OK, seriously - Joe may have a reason of doing it this way, but I wondered about this time too.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I work with SQL and it may be completely different compared to Joe's DB but doesn't the preview just read from the DB ? Why rebuilding the DB when just shutting it down ?

JHinkle
12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
It has nothing to do with database.

There is always a price to be paid when something is added.

HLS provides different levels of Effect layering. You know them as Lighting and Background.

Effects, Lighting, and Background are kept separate while in Edit mode so you can work with them.

When is Output mode (Output or Preview) --- those multiple layers must be combined to produce your wanted result.

When you come out of Output mode --- I need to UNDO the mix back into separate entities again.

The design part of development is constantly juggling trade-offs.

I could have kept the data in ram -- then things would have occurred faster BUT --- you would run out of ram and be limited in the size of your sequence.

I chose TIME instead of RAM.

Hope that explains why.

Joe

timon
12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Totally understandable.

Right now mine takes almost 3 minutes to close but the PC I'm using only has 1GB of RAM so it's thrashing the disc as it's using more memory that I really have. During editing it's not near as bad. If you're running as slow I'd bring up the Task Manager and see if you're using close or more then the amount of physical memory you actually have on your system. If you are then you're likely thrashing as well. I'm just happy I can actually get sequencing done with such a small about of memory although I'm now surprised Joe know how to write code that uses memory efficiently. You'd be hard presses to get dotNet programs to run in only a 1GB system without being as slow as a snail.

As soon as I get a larger hard drive on my Mac I'll bring up Bootcamp with Windows 7, which has a lot more memory available, which should speed things up a lot.

Lionking_Tx
12-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Joe,

It's really not a problem - I was just wondering about it too, but never thought about asking.
Yes, makes sense what you say - I thought you were reading "live" from the DB, so thanks a lot for taking the time to explain how you do it.
I for one use a different PC for sequencing and testing - this PC has a 4 core with multithreading and 16GB of Ram, so the closing doesn't really impact the work. My show PC is a different story, but that one doesn't need to run the preview.

Livermore-Dad
12-11-2013, 12:42 AM
It has nothing to do with database.

There is always a price to be paid when something is added.

HLS provides different levels of Effect layering. You know them as Lighting and Background.

Effects, Lighting, and Background are kept separate while in Edit mode so you can work with them.

When is Output mode (Output or Preview) --- those multiple layers must be combined to produce your wanted result.

When you come out of Output mode --- I need to UNDO the mix back into separate entities again.

The design part of development is constantly juggling trade-offs.

I could have kept the data in ram -- then things would have occurred faster BUT --- you would run out of ram and be limited in the size of your sequence.

I chose TIME instead of RAM.

Hope that explains why.

Joe

It does, thanks Joe..

Tory

szaske
12-23-2013, 03:27 PM
I guess I should be happy. My PC takes only about 2-3 seconds to get into or out of Preview mode, and I have some pretty complex sequences. My PC is a i7, 8GB or RAM, SSD. I'm actually upgrading it today to an even faster system. MY own little early Xmas present to myself. :)