PDA

View Full Version : 3 of my new Blow Molds Died



szaske
12-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I bought 3 brand new Noel candle blow molds on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291012801995?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). They are from General Foam Plastics Corp. I also bought 4 new Phillips Duramax 60W bulbs to put in them. They seemed fine and I believe they lit up fine. I plugged them into my Renard SS24 controller and moved on to other things. I noticed last night that these 3 new blow molds were not lighting up with my sequence. They all seemed dead. I've checked them and all 3 of them have dead bulbs in them. I just put a new 75W bulb in it to test that, it also did not light up (but at least it didn't burn out as well.

These are the 1st blow molds I've bought...and they say proudly built in the USA. I guess that doesn't mean much. So what is my problem? Did I somehow get bad bulbs? These even have fuses, and I've checked them with a continuity test and they seem to be good. But when I put my one good 75W bulb in them they do not light up. Checking my 4th (unused candle) and the lamp socket seems to work. But I'm still baffled. Could my bulbs and lamp sockets on 3 blow molds all die? Am I doing something wrong? If I need to buy new sockets is there a brand with better quality (cause this is ridiculous).

-=Steve

scottmcm
12-03-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't do blow molds anymore in my display but I used to have a few (candy canes and toy solders from the same genre as your candles) and if I recall they recommended 25 or 40W bulbs. Is it possible the 60W bulb created too much heat inside the mold and caused the wiring into the lamp base to melt?

szaske
12-03-2013, 11:41 PM
The tag on it said it could handle a 60W bulb maximum. These lamp sockets are about as basic as you can get, so I cannot imagine they could go bad. The wires still seem to be soldered on there and that is about all that is needed. I'm just baffled. -=Steve

kmalsom
12-03-2013, 11:55 PM
did you try plugging the blowmold and a new bulb directly into an outlet? That should help you determine if you killed the cord or socket.

FrostByte25
12-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Are you sure your SS24 controller is outputting to those 3 that that died? That'd be the first thing Id check.

Trav

timpwk
12-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Have you tried testing the wire for current using a tester? I put out close to 100 blowmolds and the only socket issue I have ever had is the socket itself "splitting" and if that were the case your bulb would not screw in. However if you test the wire for current and the is current getting to the socket, then the socket has to be bad. I think that kmalsom is correct in that you want to plug directly into an outlet for testing. I have bought many blow molds from ebay that did not come with light sockets and I just made my own using sockets purchased from ACE hardware.

However, a 60W bulb in the tiny flame of the blow mold candle seems like a lot of power in a small place. I have 15 and 25 in my candles.

Good luck!

DaveJZ
12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I have about 15 blowmolds left I wish would die........ lol

good outlet, good cord, good bulb... must be the socket....

tkrein
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I switched to using led bulbs in my blow mold they work great. I had a problem like that with my mold this year it was right after a big storm, the wind water snow mixture got into the plug and unplugged them from the power stake.. also check if yours has fuses. By the way menards has led bulbs for about 8 bucks I think that is a decent price but not when you figer you can get a box of incans for 3 bucks but led is better on the controllers and the power draw.

timpwk
12-07-2013, 10:04 PM
You may find that on some blow molds you will need to either cut or grind down the socket to accept the LED bulb.

tkrein
12-08-2013, 09:16 PM
All of my molds accepted led bulbs with no problem, but mine took a standard light bulb.

Jim Silva
12-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Home Depot had 60w equivalent LED bulbs (actually something like 13.5w) for around $9 the other day. Had to cut down the plastic shroud around the socket a little to get them to fit like mentioned above...tin snips easily cut the thin plastic. Very bright, low power draw and cool to the touch...can't beat that in a blow mold :)

timpwk
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
For the first time this year I have used CFLs in some of my blowmolds as the technology now is supposed to be good down to 5 degrees. It is presently 14 degrees here and they are working great. I was inspired when my local ace store was selling 4 packs for $1.99. Tremendous power savings. I will still probably convert to LEDs when the prices come down. On sale LEDs here are still @$10 each.

uAMP
12-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I have been using the Phillip 8w slimstyle (40w equivalent). No need to modify the socket. They light the blow molds great, the bulb gives of light 360 degree all directions.

The price is down to LESS the $5.00 ea.

See: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-SlimStyle-40W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-433201/205129379