PDA

View Full Version : Dead Preview...with long BEEEEP

szaske
12-03-2013, 06:26 AM
I've been seeing this the last few builds. I originally saw it when I moved HLS to my laptop to do some sequencing over the Thanksgiving holiday. The problem magically went away when I upgraded the version of HLS to the newest version so I didn't think about it again. But now, using 18c it has popped up on my main machine as well. I'm not sure what has happened, this exact build was working perfectly this morning, but I jumped into one of my sequences and tried to playback a part of the sequence and this is what happens:

1. HLS starts to constructed the sequence (I assume HLS us getting the channels ready to playback).
2. Preview window appears but is blank
3. Computer makes a 3-4 second long BEEEP sound

HLS does not crash but you cannot see a preview. After some investigation, if I try to edit the Preview it tells me it cannot find my background bitmap. I was able to fix the problem by "identify Preview control file".

Is anyone else running into this problem? -=Steve

JHinkle
12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
HLS is telling you it's a USER issue.

You moved/relocated/changed something and it can't find your Preview information.

You told it (made HLS happy again) when you identified your Preview file.

Joe

timon
12-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Instead of just giving a long beep can we popup the full path of the file it's trying to find? That way we have a chance to figure out what the problem is.

JHinkle
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Who said it was because the file could not be found?

I prompt for that.

The issue is with the image.

r = GrayAndDimBitMap(FN, h_Width, h_Height, Brightness);
if(r)
{
Beep(1000, 1500);
return 1;
}

// Get width and height from file
hr = D3DXGetImageInfoFromFile(PP, &info);
if(hr != D3D_OK)
{
//MessageBox(NULL, "Error Background Image Info", "", MB_OK);
Beep(1000, 1500);
return 1;
}

ImageWidth = info.Width;
ImageHeight = info.Height;

hr = device3d->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(info.Width, info.Height, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM, &Surface, NULL); //D3DPOOL_MANAGED D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM info.Format
if(hr)
LogDirectXError("40 CreateOffscreenPlainSurface ", hr);

if(hr != D3D_OK)
{
//MessageBox(NULL, "Error Create Background Image Surface", "", MB_OK);
Beep(1000, 1500);
return 1;
}

timon
12-04-2013, 11:05 PM
That's what I've been reading earlier in this thread, never read anything about being a bad file.

That's strange as I've been using the same image and it displays correctly in Preview Edit just not in Preview. Still I'd rather have an error dialog box telling me what the problem is rather than just the beep.

I'll transfer a new copy to that PC and see what happens.

JHinkle
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
So I showed you the three errors that produce the Beep.

What would you do to fix the issue?

Having information does not mean you can act on it.

I don't display a message because if I did -- you would be asking how to fix the issue based on the message.

Joe

DrNeutron
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
The last time I had this issue (copied HLS to a thumb drive and then copied it to my other desktop), I noticed Joe had added the following option under FILE called "Use a HLS main folder other than where the application resides". If you select this and point it to the drive HLS is currently installed all is well (my main computer HLS was installed on C and on my other desktop it was on H) and you will have the option to identify the preview file (it will show up there).

timon
12-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Something else must be going on.

I created a totally new HLS folder and created a totally new sequence.

I took the original jpg file and used paint to convert it to a BMP.

I then created a new sequence. No channels made yet just the basics.

I then created a new preview and added one element, an arch.

Saved that and then selected a preview.

Then checked the preview box and bang, Big Fat Beeeeeep.

Something else's is wrong. This is a clean HLS folder and it's not working. This all used to work fine on this PC. The only thing that I remember adding is LOR S3 so I could convert a file. I'm now wondering if something that it loaded is messing up HLS because I can come up with anything else.

HHH EEE LLL PPP

Just to make sure it's not my picture I'll download Joe's test picture. If that does not work then it has to be a problem with HLS interacting with something. Is there anything I can send that may indicate what this could be?

I'm not a happy camper as this is killing any chance of getting a show up and running if this cannot be solved quickly.

Livermore-Dad
12-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Something else must be going on.

I created a totally new HLS folder and created a totally new sequence.

I took the original jpg file and used paint to convert it to a BMP.

I then created a new sequence. No channels made yet just the basics.

I then created a new preview and added one element, an arch.

Saved that and then selected a preview.

Then checked the preview box and bang, Big Fat Beeeeeep.

Something else's is wrong. This is a clean HLS folder and it's not working. This all used to work fine on this PC. The only thing that I remember adding is LOR S3 so I could convert a file. I'm now wondering if something that it loaded is messing up HLS because I can come up with anything else.

HHH EEE LLL PPP

Just to make sure it's not my picture I'll download Joe's test picture. If that does not work then it has to be a problem with HLS interacting with something. Is there anything I can send that may indicate what this could be?

I'm not a happy camper as this is killing any chance of getting a show up and running if this cannot be solved quickly.

I had that happen when my image was not in the Backgrounds folder/directory.. Fought it for a bit, but same results as you

Tory

timon
12-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Ok, the test bitmap does work. Still don't understand why a bitmap converted from a jpg using Paint should have a problem since I thought Paint was the defacto standard program and you would think it would clean everything up when converting. I've run it through Paint multiple times and it still hates my house.

I still done understand why it works while editing Preview but not when running.

If I take a new picture it will be hard to get it to match.

I'm really in the dumps now.

timon
12-05-2013, 01:23 AM
I had that happen when my image was not in the Backgrounds folder/directory.. Fought it for a bit, but same results as you

Tory

I have it in the Library.

angus40
12-05-2013, 01:27 AM
have you tried photoshop ?

If you need I could try a few programs I have to create images for you .

timon
12-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Don't have photo shop. I can send the file, it's under 3Mb.

Specs on the file, width 1280, height 760, 72dpi, bit depth 24 and frame count 1.

Still, it would be nice to understand why it's failing.

DrNeutron
12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I think you have to make the picture 1024 X 768 to conform to HLS standard. I used paint and just shrank my picture to 1024 X 768 and saved as a bitmap. Works great.

JHinkle
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
The idea was that if you created the Background Image during the initial Preview Edit process -- that it would always be created.

BUT ... you then have some folks that like to move things around .....

So I did engage my MessageBoxes .... primarily to inform you of a DirectX issue that may be causing the issue.

Message available starting 18F.

Joe

timon
12-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I think you have to make the picture 1024 X 768 to conform to HLS standard. I used paint and just shrank my picture to 1024 X 768 and saved as a bitmap. Works great.
Joe's test image is larger than that and it works fine at 1280 x 760. If it's set to 1024 x 768 it's very distorted.

The idea was that if you created the Background Image during the initial Preview Edit process -- that it would always be created.

BUT ... you then have some folks that like to move things around .....

So I did engage my MessageBoxes .... primarily to inform you of a DirectX issue that may be causing the issue.

Message available starting 18F.

Joe

Thank you, now we can see the basic cause.

timon
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
First, thanks for getting rid of that god awful BIOS beep.

Ok, while angus is checking my file I tried 18G. It open up the test bitmap but when I try my bitmap it just pops up a black window but not your Message box.

DrNeutron
12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Awww.....that beep used to remind me of my old hotrod 8MHZ '286 (12Mhz turbo).....
haha

timon
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
For me it was my original IBM PC with 16KB RAM. I modified it to use a Z80 and added 64KB RAM chips.

JHinkle
12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
I never removed the Beep.

Joe

timon
12-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Interesting. No beep and a black screen:hmm: Let me try "18E" again.

Version 18E has a black window, BIOS beep and version 18G has a black window, no message block and only a little windows open click. So what ever path it took it didn't go by a message block.

Question, when exiting preview it goes through a channel count that with a large sequence takes awhile. Since no editing was done I was wondering why it does that and can it be speed up?

DrNeutron
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
haha I did that to my old Tandy 1000ex..... the Z80 was a beast 7.14MHZ....I remember paying 300$ for 256kb SIP chips to upgrade it to a whopping 384kb.
Oh man I feel old.....

JHinkle
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
If it could have gone faster I would have implemented that way.

Make sure you have a Background Image assigned to you Sequence.

Sounds like you may not.

Joe

timon
12-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I just was wondering why it was doing a channel count when nothing had been edited but that's OK.

I always make sure it's assigned. There is just something that flat out HATES the photo of my house and I don't know why. It should not be this hard to get a bitmap to display especially when it work while editing and the picture was covered by a fundament Windows program. I'm doing it right and even went so far as to totally setup a new HLS folder and build a totally new sequence and it still failed with my photo.

We'll just have to wait until angus checks it out.

JHinkle
12-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Use MS Paint to form your BitMap.

Joe

timon
12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Well I got the file back from angus and it still didn't work. Needless to say I was very numbed so I went to bed. While laying there racking my brain I remembered the original file that Joe sent me. So I got up and went through my e-mails till I found it.sucked it into the PC and used the MS image program that comes with Office and cropped the file as close as I could to the one I was using. This time it worked.

I've packaged up everything from the one that failed if you want to look at it. BTW, the error was the Dimming error but that's also in the zip. If you want it I'll put in on the FTP.

angus40
12-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Well I got the file back from angus and it still didn't work. Needless to say I was very numbed so I went to bed. While laying there racking my brain I remembered the original file that Joe sent me. So I got up and went through my e-mails till I found it.sucked it into the PC and used the MS image program that comes with Office and cropped the file as close as I could to the one I was using. This time it worked.

I've packaged up everything from the one that failed if you want to look at it. BTW, the error was the Dimming error but that's also in the zip. If you want it I'll put in on the FTP.

I am lost with this post . thread for that matter .

This bmp you sent me would cause hls to lockup when I tested it . 1280 x 760 .

I checked my resolution standard setting of my Video adapter and 1280 x 720 was a standard setting , I then converted the bmp to this standard resolution

and all worked perfectly .

Have you now moved from mac to pc ?

confused

timon
12-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm on a PC and it just does like that picture even at 1280x720. I thought I had lost the updated master that Joe sent which is what I cropped for the picture I sent you. Luckily I still had the e-mail that joe returned the file brace to me so I recroped it from that master. That one worked fine and I've been working with all day.

I'm now about 1/2 way through modifying the Believe in Holiday Magic sequence. If all goes well I'll have the first cut running tomorrow and the almost final one by Monday. Hopefully fully edited by Thursday for the HOA Christmas Lights judging.

Thanks for all the help, once all of this is over I'll go back and see why your modified song didn't work on this PC.