PDA

View Full Version : HLS told me to contact it's Master :)

Lionking_Tx
11-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Joe,

When selecting a couple of channels and hitting "L" to set the color (or click on Level), I get attached request from HLS to contact you.

Edit :
I'm using HLS 17.X

JHinkle
11-26-2013, 12:44 AM
That is a Hard Drive access error.

OS issue? Hard Drive issue?

THAT code is part of my hard drive monitoring capability I have built into my database software I use in my business.

It gives me and my customers an early sign of possible pending issues.

Because of the type of business I use my database in, I use NO disk caching at the OS level at all. All record writes are written directly to the disk thereby reducing the chance of data loss.

When a record write fails -- it is BIG news to me and my customers --- hence the alert and the "Tell Joe".

Watch you OS and your hard drive.

Joe

kingofkya
11-26-2013, 12:47 AM
You can use to check your disks.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/)

Macrosill
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
That is a great error message Joe!

Lionking_Tx
11-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks Joe - even darn Smart HD monitoring didn't catch that one ......time to do some Black Friday HD shopping :)

Lionking_Tx
11-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow....do you do HW monitoring as well ?
Just after typing the last post yesterday, my PC froze and the graphic card crapped out :)
HD is OK, but had to replace the GC.

JHinkle
11-27-2013, 10:50 PM
A single occurrence is nothing to take action on.

When you get several -- you know there is something in the wind.

Joe

kingofkya
11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
could also have been PSU i have seen them case some odd issues

Lionking_Tx
11-28-2013, 01:21 PM
could also have been PSU i have seen them case some odd issues

Yeah, it was pretty obvious - the fan on the GC must have died a while ago and the GPU was overheating until it threw in the towel the other day.

kingofkya
11-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Just a fyi bcause almost no one knows this on the pc fans you can peal up the sticker on the back there will be an oil well you can just drip some veg oil in. Also makes them quiet.

But on cheap gpus the fans are crap and probably wont fix it.

DrNeutron
11-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Yep, I used that trick to get me out of a few tight "late Friday service calls"..... I use either 3 in 1/airgun oil/or sewing machine oil on most fans, but most cheap fans today it is only a temp fix.
I still have a whack of 120v fans I confiscated from some old DTS cash registers, you can't kill them. (use them to move air around the house in winter when fireplace insert is raging).
:thup:

Lionking_Tx
11-29-2013, 10:58 AM
You think you know it all.....
Thanks for the tip, never crossed my mind to oil those small fans. :thup2:
I always bought new ones when they reached the "annoying noise" or "dead" state