PDA

View Full Version : Vixen and artnet

svaronalli
11-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I am trying to find out in the middle of all these posts, but I don't get any specific info about my main question.

I have a Artnet to DMX (6 universes board) converter

Is is possible to use it with VIXEN?
Or are there other software doing it? I find wide literature regarding the E1.31 but no good info about Artnet usage.

Thanks a lot

jchuchla
11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Not at the moment. There is no ArtNet support in vixen 3 (yet) it's not that it's not possible, but there is such low demand that it hasn't been a priority. There was one other guy asking for it recently. I turned him on to OLA (open lighting architecture) which is a free converter/mapping program that can do the translation from sACN to ArtNet. That would be a way for you to drive it from Vixen 3.

If you want to officially make the feature request, please visit bugs.vixenlights.com and either create a new ticket, or add on to to existing one (if you find it). That will help us prioritize new features.

joyangel
11-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Not at the moment. There is no ArtNet support in vixen 3 (yet) it's not that it's not possible, but there is such low demand that it hasn't been a priority. There was one other guy asking for it recently. I turned him on to OLA (open lighting architecture) which is a free converter/mapping program that can do the translation from sACN to ArtNet. That would be a way for you to drive it from Vixen 3.

If you want to officially make the feature request, please visit bugs.vixenlights.com and either create a new ticket, or add on to to existing one (if you find it). That will help us prioritize new features.

I don't get why everyone in Christmasland has decided to go with sACN/E1.31. In the pro lighting world. We all use Art-Net.

BTW: You can get a bootable flash image of OLA for the raspberry pi so you can turn a cheap Rpi into a sACN to Art-Net converter that's boots up almost instantly.

svaronalli
11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
I am doing.
I am lucky and have a raspberry and I already created image and i am up on it.

I am just beginning to try use the correct plugin.
Just for helping, anyone experienced it already?
Do anyone successfully use it?

thanks a lot

jchuchla
11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh I don't know that I agree. I'm also in the pro lighting world and I use sACN a good deal. ArtNet has been around longer so it's for a stronger foothold in the industry. But it's not without it's problems. It's in its 3rd revision now. I think sACN is more prevalent in the installed side of the lighting business which is definately bigger then the staging side. It's also bigger with pixel setups.
I think that sACN is easier to implement in DIY low cost hardware. It's a more natural fit for us.
In the end though it doesn't matter much since the two are so easily converted back and forth.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

joyangel
11-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh I don't know that I agree. I'm also in the pro lighting world and I use sACN a good deal. ArtNet has been around longer so it's for a stronger foothold in the industry. But it's not without it's problems. It's in its 3rd revision now. I think sACN is more prevalent in the installed side of the lighting business which is definately bigger then the staging side. It's also bigger with pixel setups.
I think that sACN is easier to implement in DIY low cost hardware. It's a more natural fit for us.
In the end though it doesn't matter much since the two are so easily converted back and forth.

--Jon Chuchla--

I assume what you mean by "installed" lighting is that you are referring to architectural lighting, Right? Because in the entertainment business(theater/concert). Art-Net is still king in this world although there is some lighting equipment that does offer sACN as a second option. I have yet to see it used and there is no sign of it catching on ether.

jchuchla
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
No I was actually talking about installed entertainment lighting. Theaters/performance halls, houses of worship, nightclubs, etc. anywhere where the network is part of the building infrastructure.
Architectural lighting often follows a different control methodology because they're typically preset driven and don't need a streaming protocol.
But this is one of those matter of preference things. I could argue all day long about how one is technically better and is in fact endorsed by more people in the know, if you're more comfortable with what you've been using longer that's what you're going to want and there's no arguing that.

--Jon Chuchla--