PDA

View Full Version : We are not joking

Macrosill
03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Well it is less than 24 hours since the new rules have been posted and a member has been banned due to deliberate and continued violations. Either this person did not think they would get banned or this was just something to scare people. Well these are the rules and there have been some software functionality added to aid in reporting, tracking and documenting violations.

Josh
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
in the rules, it says "What if I see something on the forums that violates a rule?

Use the Report Bad Post Button--It is there for a reason!!"

This is ussualy under thread tools, but i do not see it? Is it not implemented yet?

Macrosill
03-31-2008, 04:18 PM
In the top right corner of the post you should see a red and white triangle icon, click it.

kmc123
03-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Brian - Can you tell us who it was, and what the violation was?
I'm more curious than anything else, but it may help to publicly show it off.

Macrosill
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry Kevin but I will not publicly announce who was banned. I will only state it was for continued violation of the rules.

kmc123
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
OK - Just curious...

DynamoBen
03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
As a moderator I can say that these guidelines where put in place to protect and promote this forum. We are all very serious about enforcement and feel that the guidelines are fair and equitable.

As a members please don't hesitate to bring things to our attention that concern you.

Jeff Millard
03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
The events that led up to the need for these tools to be implemented were unfortunately beginning to drive members away. The quick action by Brian and everyone he relied on for input has already begun to change things back to normal.

Everyone please see it for what it is. A way to keep DIYC the best it can be. One member obviously thought he was immune to the tools recently added to improve things around here. I can tell you from experience, setting on the outside looking in is not a place that makes you feel good about yourself.

Back to our regularly scheduled quest to make Blinky Flashy.

Jeff

synnie
04-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Phew...it wasnt me

WWNF911
04-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Back to our regularly scheduled quest to make Blinky Flashy.

Maybe now I can relax the old ignore feature. (sigh)

Edit: Maybe not (sigh)

Jeff Millard
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe now I can relax the old ignore feature. (sigh)

Edit: Maybe not (sigh)

I did, but you my friend are still in the buddy list! ;)

Jeff

WWNF911
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I did, but you my friend are still in the buddy list! ;)

Jeff

As are you Jeff. Thanks.

I will give it a try.

IGNORE - OFF :)

Blow molds 2008
04-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Brian - Can you tell us who it was, and what the violation was?
I'm more curious than anything else, but it may help to publicly show it off.

Hey its not me.:D like what you did with the bord.

Jeff Millard
04-12-2008, 08:03 AM
This post is in reference to the Thread this sentance links to. (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25780#post25780)

See the problem with that statement?

You're saying you want a piece of hardware to replace a piece of software. Life doesn't work that way.

I'm not jerking your chain Ben, my point is that approaching this as a "hardware project" is fundamentally flawed.

OK-- Feel free to ignore this, just the observations of someone who has been in this business a long time and done a whole bunch of projects.

I have avoided this thread since my first post as it has weaved in and out of Ben's original topic, and it's way above my head. But the first sentance in this quote makes no sense to me at all. Light-O-Rama already has successfully acheived this idea with the product in Ben's opening post to this thread. The way life works has nothing to do with it. Typically, discussions like this are going to have many folks come along and provide ideas for alternatives. And typically, the alternatives are going to steer the topic away from the intended idea's direction. In this case, Ben's desire to get the minds together to create this thing for the community. Posts like the one I quoted have nothing to do with either the topic, or alternatives. Placing myself in Ben's shoes... I would have dropped the subject and found something else to do. While I realize this is a few weeks old... it's been bugging me since I first read it.

If you have an idea, start a thread and link to it. But let the place you got the idea from continue to gather steam. Don't take the wind out of the sails of the people that are developing this stuff.

Tech Christmas was the primary member of my ignore list right up until it was pointed out to me that I had no business ignoring posts by the worst offenders when I held a Moderator status. While I do not posess the knowledge to judge his contributions to the hobby, I had decided that his offerings were more of a detriment than anything else. Ben's attempt to develop a stand alone controller, and the grey matter provided by this member are a perfect example of that negative.

When I began this post, it was a post in Ben's Thread... then I thought better of it and did just as I said... I had an idea and I linked to it. If you think about it, this really is the best way to keep the topic on track and still interject your ideas. The way thread topics are being hijacked is not acceptable, and violates the rules of the forum.

This rule is really important as it nullifies the need for the unpopular idea of the Development forum. That was a place meant to give the developers a public discussion section to keep things on topic, and not have to do it in private to prevent topic hijacking. The people that complained the most about the fact they were locked out of the section, are without any doubt the worst offenders of the #1 reason they weren't included in the forum in the first place. Stop, go back and look at some of your posts in topical threads and see if you're doing this. If you are, start taking the time to think about the possibility you are hijacking a thread before you hit the submit reply button and stop doing it. You alienate others when you do it. You offend the author of the topic when you do it. You violate the the good nature of your fellow members when you do it. You prevent the positive direction of development when you do it. And, for the most part you really piss me off when you do it. IDK if that means anything to you at all. But think about this... the direction this type of behavior took lead to the recent changes here. The changes were due to the discussion by the Admin and all the guys with that added "Mod" rank near their avatar.

One of the coolest people I've met in this hobby made a quote in a private discussion recently that I think holds the exact reason why the people with the most experience and know how sometimes take themselves out of the discussions in the first place. Her quote: "I've always found it amazing that the people with the least amount of experience do most of the posting on a majority of boards." You can meet her if you attend the Philly mini in July.

Jeff

cgeek
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Perhaps you misunderstood his point. I believe he's making the point it's not the hardware that is important; people have posted dozens of pieces of hardware that could be used.

There have also been 50 schematics for DMX dongles posted. But without firmware they are all meaningless. A 5 universe dongle has 3 basic parts. A micro controller, a RS485 chip and a USB interface.

It's the firmware that makes it unique.

Jeff Millard
04-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Perhaps you misunderstood my point. I believe he's making the point it's not the hardware that is important; people have posted dozens of pieces of hardware that could be used.

There have also been 50 schematics for DMX dongles posted. But without firmware they are all meaningless. A 5 universe dongle has 3 basic parts. A micro controller, a RS485 chip and a USB interface.

It's the firmware that makes it unique.

This post is a perfect example of the point I am trying to make. This thread is NOT a discussion about the hardware/software/firmware in from Ben's Thread. The topic of discussion has to do with the Admin's, and the Moderator's opinion that the Forum needed guidelines. The quoted post was an example of the type of thing which required a response from Brian and the staff.

3 posts places you in a precarious position to be questioning the validity of my opinion, or my understanding of NOLAlights/Brian is a baby/Tech Christmas... An individual well known for stirring up as much trouble in this forum as he could muster, then changing accounts to hide his head in the sand. Is it possible he has created a new account and is back to start more trouble? Sure... Is it possible my post his weeded him out? Hmmm...

Jeff

P. Short
04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
This post is in reference to the Thread this sentance links to. (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25780#post25780)

Jeff

Personally, I think this entire post and all ensuing posts are off-topic for this thread. And pretty grumpy to boot.

--

Phil

Jeff Millard
04-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I was afraid of that...