PDA

View Full Version : Error 3 opening DMX-USB

TheRealAndroid
11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
What exactly does this mean? The port is configured correctly. I can open it with RealTerm. When I monitor the serial port, HLS never really does open the port, so I don't think it is a protocol issue.
I'm simply trying to capture one frame of PixelNet data for testing a panel driver I'm writing.

JHinkle
11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
The error message tells me you told HLS to use a USB device -- not a computer COM port.

They are different and HLS handles them differently.

Your USB device make it easy for YOU by letting you think it is a COM port --- that may be your issue.

HLS communicates with a USB device directly using the FTD dll --- not a COM port.

HLS can provide a data dump of data transmitted if that is what you are looking for.

Joe

TheRealAndroid
11-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Joe. You are correct. The actual message I'm getting is:
Opening DMX Device - Serial Number A6007O9n - failed with error 3

That number is the USB adapter on my Propeller board. I'm not sure what HLS is looking for in terms of dialog between itself and the board. I would very much like to implement that dialog if at all possible. From what I understand, PixelNet is a pretty simple protocol, but is there some handshaking going on between HLS and the actual device?

Thanks.

TheRealAndroid
11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Here is some more info for you.
I have defined a PixelPlane of 16x32.
I have therefore, 4 universes of channels 3 of 510 channels and 1 of 6.
I have grouped these four universes into one multiple DMX group and prepared the Channels for Output.
I then set the Transport for Universe 1 to USB-DMX and select PixelNet.
Say Done.
Check the output Active box.
A dialog comes up saying I should rebuild output levels. I select Yes.
Everything appears fine. I then press play. Nothing appears to happen (although it very well may be doing it).
Uncheck OutPut Active box.
Go back to trying to modify my Transport for Universe 2, a dialog saying "HLS has stopped working" appears and I have to restart the program.

So, I restart.....
Now, If I set the Transport for Universe 2 to USB=DMX/PixelNet also, I then get this Error 3 message when I select Ouput Active.

So, I'm guessing I shouldn't duplicate the USB-DMX thing for the universes which are bonded together. Is that correct?

JHinkle
11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
HLS wants you to define ONE Universe with all of your channels identified (since it has more than 512 channels - mark it as a Multiple DMX Group. HLS will relax the 512 limitation and allow it to go to 4096.

When you select USB-DMX --- HLS will ask you the Interface and also to select the physical USB device.

So -- you don't have 4 Universes --- you have only 1 --- or should I say -- you should have only one.

Hope that helps.

Joe