PDA

View Full Version : Tips on hanging a large Holdman type Bethlehem star on a vinyl sided garage

bluerider098
11-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Hello all. I am building a large Bethlehem star and want to hang it above my garage. I am trying to come up with a good way to mount it that won't damage my siding.

NkySpike65
11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Do you happen to have a picture showing the front and roof line of your garage, where you will be hanging the star?

Strother85
11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I am hanging some large wireframes (4' wide 7' tall) on the front of my house on vinyl siding. In my case, I have two windows right where I will be putting the wireframes so my plan is to permanently install 2 cup hooks in the header of the window painted to match the siding. I am also going to use siding hooks to keep it nice and tight against the house. If you do not have the luxury of mounting cup hooks in window headers, you can just use a few of the siding hooks strategically placed. They just slide up under the siding and catch on the locking lip of the siding. They sell large and small ones. Not sure what the small ones hold, but I think the large ones claim to hold 12 pounds each, or if using more than one, something like 20 pounds.

Small ones: http://www.amazon.com/Lites-Up-Siding-Light-Hook/dp/B0044FSWWA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1384125465&sr=8-8&keywords=siding+hooks

Large ones: http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mountains-Siding-Outdoor-Decorations/dp/B000MIUFKK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384125577&sr=8-4&keywords=siding+hooks

Strother85
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
By the way, just noticed you are in Michigan! Not a whole lot of us on here from the mitten, which general direction are you in?

bluerider098
11-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I live in coldwater Michigan. Unfortunatly I don't have any window to attach it to. I had considered the siding hooks I was just worried that if there was a lot of wind that it would be blowing all over the place. I had considered drilling some holes thru the siding, but I was worried about it leaking the off season.

I have a picture but I cannot seem to get it to upload. I go to insert image, click on my computer, and select the file but then it is stuck there. I can't seem to get any farther. Any suggestions.

bluerider098
11-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I figured it out.

NkySpike65
11-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I would do the same type of base that Richard Holdman did for his star for the roof, and definitely use sand bags. But I would extend a couple 2x4 out and downward to hold your star over your garage.

About the 13-15 pic down. http://www.holdman.com/christmas/star/

DanoNJ
11-10-2013, 10:41 PM
another option would be to run a cable down from the top, near the peak attach to the top of the star, then 2 from either side of the bottom (or near the bottom) of the star and run the cable to the sides of the roof line. You can drill a small hole in the siding at each attach point and put a screw in to string the cable to. End of season, remove screw, silicone if you wish. Believe me, no one will ever see the mounting points. Foam padding behind the star will help with any scraping on the siding

Xenia
11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Do you want it on the roof (above) or hanging below the eaves. If below the eaves, i would use vinyl clad aircraft wire (rope) and use eye hooks from the soffit framing. It is similar to how i hold my Bells over my windows.

Strother85
11-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Do you want it on the roof (above) or hanging below the eaves. If below the eaves, i would use vinyl clad aircraft wire (rope) and use eye hooks from the soffit framing. It is similar to how i hold my Bells over my windows.

+1. If you want it on the siding I would put permanent eye hooks in the fascia as this should be a very solid area of wood behind the siding. Hang down from this and then stop the sway at the bottom with siding hooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

bluerider098
11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Great ideas everyone. I had never considered putting out on the peak off the roof, interesting thought. I like the idea of hanging it from cables. The hooks being located under the eaves would mean that the holes would be protected from the weather.

Thanks again.