PDA

View Full Version : Am I pushing HLS to it's limits?

Petulka77
11-08-2013, 11:05 PM
I just want to report a way how to crash HLS using large amount of pixels.
What I did:
- Assigned 10595 pixels to a single display group
- Created a custom twinkle effect
- Applied the effect on all pixels (over 10K rows)
- saved it and clicked Display Preview => crash (with developer crash dialog window)
Then I tried to reopen the sequence and crash again and so on.
I had to roll back to previous save and found a workaround.

I created 10 Display Groups based on my controllers. (Here the pixel color assignment with sorting became very handy. Thank you Joe for that!)
Then applied the twinkle effect per each display group. This workaround is more work but is stable. The HLS twinkle effect looks awesome!

No big deal with this bug. Just want to report it that I might pushed the HLS to it's limits.
Maybe it would be worth it to have a pixel count limit per DG which would be stable (maybe 5K - btw. I have not tested that, just guesing)

JHinkle
11-08-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't think you are pushing the limits --- I think you are not using the tool as it was designed and using it in a very inefficient manner.

Question. Why would you want 11,000 channels in a Display Group? To me ... more than 50 to 100 and something is wrong.

A Display group is suppose to be a size that allows you to design and edit easily.

If you want the SAME effect to be applied to 11,000 channels --- make a SEGMENT and assign those 11,000 channels to THAT Segment.

Then place the Segment in the Display Group.

You are still editing 11,000 channels but you are doing so in only ONE channel in the editor.

I think you are making more work for your self.

Your 10 Display Groups could be 10 Segments ... each segment having a unique set of channels. Then you place the 10 Segments in ONE Display Group. NOW -- your editor shows 10 Segment channels. Place effects, make chases, etc. Apply them to the Segments --- they are automatically applied to the 11,000 channels.

Joe

Petulka77
11-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Joe, that was my first attempt to use segments.
If you have Display Group with segments in it then the Custom effect (i.e.twinkle) does not work. It only listen on individual channels. So, is the custom effect broken?
Therefore I had to us the individual channel approach.

Petulka77
11-09-2013, 02:52 AM
I have just tested to use only 1 segment with 11K channels in it. I Assigned the segment to a Display Group. I applied custom twinkle effect on that segment. It dropped the twinkle colors(5 cells) in the grid row. I previewed it and all 11K channels just blink at one time.
How I said. Only to achieve the twinkle effect properly on all channels is to have a Display Group with all individual channels in it.
If you can fix it that would be awesome.

angus40
11-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Your 11k is pixels ?

If so I would be using a pixel plane for that .

Ps . when you get up to 56 universes you will begin to push HLS

That is when Hls starts to get to operating temperature

JHinkle
11-09-2013, 07:15 AM
As I pondered your post in my sleep -- I wondered if you were using an effect that was designed for NON-Segment channels. Twinkle is one of them.

I will ponder on the best way to have my "Single Channel" Custom Effects dropped on to a Segment. You are not the first to want to do that. YOUR 11,000 request IS the first and the point hits home.

Let me sleep on it awhile.

Joe

Petulka77
11-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Thank you Joe.

Petulka77
11-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Your 11k is pixels ?

If so I would be using a pixel plane for that .

Ps . when you get up to 56 universes you will begin to push HLS

That is when Hls starts to get to operating temperature

I know. The machine fan started to turn on more often during sequencing. :blink:
I am using total of 74 universes. But they are not maxed out to 172. Average is 150 pixels per universe.
FYI: Due to that I had to install 8 receptacles (with 16 plugs) in my garage with max output total of 120A on 4 separate circuits per 30Amps.
I want to be able to watch my TV and use house lights during the Christmas light's show as well.:rolleyes:

JHinkle
11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
I just released 17D

When placing Custom effects --- Random (like Twinkle) or chases --- You have always been able to place them on a Segment but all channels in that Segment have exactly the same effect and Placement.

With 17D -- you can Over-Ride the basic structure of a Segment and HLS will treat the channels associated with the Segment as individual Vertical Channels in the Random or Chase process.

When you select the Custom effect to place -- the Segment criteria is presented for you to select.

Enjoy.

Joe

Petulka77
11-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Thank you Joe, but this version gives me the New version available popup before start each time. So I re-download it again and still in the "new version dialog" loop. Is it the latest version?

JHinkle
11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I compiled debug but posted old release.

The site now has the latest version.

Joe