PDA

View Full Version : Is the background feature working corectly?

Petulka77
11-07-2013, 11:23 PM
I have been working with the new Background feature recently.
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's broken.
I have a chase effect and I ramp up a background. The problem is that the ramp up foreground effect is specified by color but not intensity.
Then I end up with the chase effect with a black tail. I thought that the whole point of the background capability is to merge the foreground and background colors into 1 color. Meaning that the Black color is the transparent portion of the effect.
If not then it's only useful with foreground effect using leveled colors.

Am I missing here anything?

scootchu
11-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm not Joe, but I think what you are seeing as black is just "lack of light". It's a layer so if it fades to black it would reveal the layer underneath. What you see on the grid isn't what occurs with the lights. It's not going be transparent on the grid. You should see the results in the lights and the preview.

Petulka77
11-07-2013, 11:39 PM
It's the same in preview. Red chase effect with black tails.
The tails should be transparent based on the cell effect parentage and inherits the color from the background layer. But they don't.
It looks like the foreground chase effect overrides the background color. The Background color is only applied where there is not any foreground effect.

angus40
11-07-2013, 11:45 PM
What you are asking for is the layers opacity to be ramp<>able .

Ramps and levels intensity in the foreground or background should have no bearing on transparency .

.png and .mov are the only formats that I know of that can achieve transparency .

JHinkle
11-08-2013, 01:15 AM
If you hold the SHIFT key down and slowly bring the mouse cursor over an effect --- I will provide a PopUp that tells you about the Effect --- Like Color, Intensity, Intensity Ranges.

The Value of BLACK that enables the Background to come through CURRENTLY --- is zero or one.

Odds are ... that last cell is NOT 0 or 1 ... but it looks Black to you. Do an EXPORT and you can look at the actual cell values --- it's just a XML text file. I do that all the time to see what is ACTUALLY being sent to the Preview or the Lights.

Hint ... NOT to go to the lights!!! ... select COM Serial based output Protocol. Ask to do an EXPORT. The file is in the Export Folder. Open it in Notepad. Each block of numbers is the intensity value (0 to FF) (0 to 255) for a single channel single in a single Time Tic. If you are looking at RGB data ... first block is the RED channel, then the Green, followed by BLUE. The data is not packed as in Vixen -- so it is very easy to read.

My initial thoughts were to provide YOU with a Black Threshold setting. You could then set your own intensity level where the Background came through.

I will do that soon .... wanted to get feedback before making changes.

Joe