PDA

View Full Version : Can you cut 240v ropelight?

piesrule58
03-26-2008, 04:23 AM
I have some 40mtr lengths of 240v rope light. Is it possible to cut it into 2 x 20mtr lengths and use both pieces?

Cheers, Terry

DennisB
03-26-2008, 04:53 AM
You sure can Terry, it can be a pain to reterminate a new piece of 2 core flex into the end but it can be down.
To cut the rope light look at the area you want to cut it and look closely at the two wires running down either and see if you can find an area where there are some little wires twisted around these larger ones. The 2 joins or twists are seen nearly every metre apart and are spaced about 3-4 inches apart from each other. When you see the first one you'll instantly now what I mean.

To cut the rope light you'll need to cut in-between these 2 twist joins.

To seal the ends of cut ropelight I use some 19mm glued heatshrink caps.

Good luck.

piesrule58
03-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks Dennis,

One more question. How do you power up the cut section without the plug?

synnie
03-26-2008, 05:40 AM
heres a post from Planet Christmas Terry.

http://www.planetchristmas.com/RopeLight.htm

As to powering the cut pieces.....VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CAREFULLLLLLLLLLLLY....lol

DennisB
03-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks Dennis,

One more question. How do you power up the cut section without the plug?

The way I have done it is to strip back a little 2 core flex to expose say 25mm of both conductors insulation and then strip back about 5 or 10mm of the copper, tin this with your soldering iron and use something like a sharp metal scribe to push each condutor into the cut end of your rope light making sure none of the copper conductor is visible.

Then I use some glued heatshrink that will cover both the ropelight and the flex for at least 30-40mm either side, this will provide a stiff joint that won't flex and dislodge your joint.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

ben
03-26-2008, 07:04 PM
heres a post from Planet Christmas Terry.

http://www.planetchristmas.com/RopeLight.htm

As to powering the cut pieces.....VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CAREFULLLLLLLLLLLLY....lol

Thanks for the link! I never noticed that How To. I have been wanting to shorten some section for a while now. Looks like thats something else to add to my list :rolleyes:

Ben

synnie
03-27-2008, 01:03 AM
And as Dennis says...that glued heatshrink is a must. I did my roof ropelights last year with normal heatshrink...local wildlife touches it and it will slide right off....power cord and all...luckily they were 12V ropes.