PDA

View Full Version : Hanging lights on windows

deplanche
03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Does anyone hang lights on the inside of their windows, and if so, how do you do it? I have tried many ways, but none with great success. You could say all have ended in an animated display, if you count falling to the ground as animated. :)

Suction cups never seem to stick to the window. I've tried wetting the suction cup, but that just makes for a dirty window.

I tried some little plastic holders that had a sticky pad on them. They stuck wonderfully to the glass. However, the bond between the pad and the plastic was not so good and they all fell down.

I've thought about adding nails or eyes to the wood molding, but I have been told "NO!" on that one by the "boss." (Unlike some others in the forum, i can't cut holes in walls for my display either.)

I did see a little plastic light holder this past christmas, (The Window Wonder for Christmas Lights). But it was $15 each for what I would need for 1 window, and I have at least 9 I'd like to put them in. Even on dale at 50% off, that is a little too much for light holders only.

I guess I should note that I live in Buffalo, NY, and our winters can be cold. So the glass temp. varies with the weather, as well as the heat going on and off.

So any suggestions or things that you have found which have worked?

rlilly
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I've thought about adding nails or eyes to the wood molding, but I have been told "NO!" on that one by the "boss." (Unlike some others in the forum, i can't cut holes in walls for my display either.)

New boss?

No?

How about building a wire frame to fit the window.

Old coat hanger use maybe?

jderba
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Check out this web site and see if these will work for you. I bought several last year and were pretty happy with them.

http://www.aquilaproducts.com/index.htm

Jack

Macrosill
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I got a great tip from Lou Brown, Lbro at the NJ Mini 2 years ago. He told me about his little trick. If you have screen frames in your windows get some material and make new frames or just order new frames. Then mount the lights on the new frames and its as simple as swapping out the frames to decorate your windows. Super fast and it could not get easier!

dmcole
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
This company's product was written about over at PC ... I haven't purchased any yet, but it seems like a winning concept to me.

http://www.window-wonder.com/

\dmc

Wayne J
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I too used the tip that Lou gave us at the mini, but I approached it a bit different. I made a frame from 1/4" tubing with tabs and just attach it with the screws that hold my shutters on.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6466/windowframend9.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windowframend9.jpg)

deplanche
03-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Only have screens in 2 of the 5 windows in the largest room -- sort of a bay window type, and no shutters.

Right now, I am leaning toward making a wooden frame to fit inside the existing frame. I have done something similiar on other windows in the house and attached the plastic shrink wrap insulation to that, rather than resealing the windows each year. I figure if I use plexiglass in that, I can get the same insulating effect and have something to screw or nail into... plus, may save me some money on heating bills.

I do like Jack's link though... think I could make something similiar too as an option... to the basement and the woodworking tools!!

cgarwood
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I think I am going to make new screen frames this year for my windows. I'm wanting 4 separate channels of lights on each window (separate channel for red, green, blue, white). I figure I will make wooden frames the size of the window and space out/drill holes in the frame to poke the lights in. Each light would be evenly spaced and all i would have to do is swap out the screens for my lights.

I am also considering putting SSRs inside of the screen frame somehow. That way I will just have 1 power cord coming off of each frame and can just plug my cat5 straight into the window frame.

jeffathompson
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I think I am going to make new screen frames this year for my windows. I'm wanting 4 separate channels of lights on each window (separate channel for red, green, blue, white). I figure I will make wooden frames the size of the window and space out/drill holes in the frame to poke the lights in. Each light would be evenly spaced and all i would have to do is swap out the screens for my lights.

I am also considering putting SSRs inside of the screen frame somehow. That way I will just have 1 power cord coming off of each frame and can just plug my cat5 straight into the window frame.

Are these screen frames on the inside or outside in the weather? if inside, I don't see why you can't just put the SSR in the corner closest to your power, cut the plugs off the ends of the light cords and screw into the terminal lugs. Great idea. I was going to make frames with hinges that fold up and hang on the outside of the window frame, but I like the idea of just copying my wooden screen frames and swapping them out.

cgarwood
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
They will be placed outside, yes. That is one thing i haven't figure out yet, waterproofing the SSRs if I make them part of the frame.

Could just get some small waterproof box and attach to a bottom corner of the frame maybe...

WakeFan
06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I use 1/2" PVC pipe on the outside, but it would work on the inside as well if you have a sill and jamb.

rstehle
06-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I use 1/2" PVC pipe on the outside, but it would work on the inside as well if you have a sill and jamb.

How do you attach the lights to the PVC?

Wayne J
06-14-2008, 06:38 PM
How do you attach the lights to the PVC?

zip ties would be my guess.

sjwilson122
06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I use 1/2" pvc for my windows. I use a wide kerf saw blade on my table saw and set the blade high enough to just cut through one side of the pipe. I rip cut the pipe to put a slot length wise in it. Then the fun begins, using a wide blade screw driver I pry the pipe open enough to feed the wire in and place the socket in the open channel. When you release the screw driver the pipe claps down on the base and holds it in place. I use regular PVC fittings to make the corners, the split pipe has enough of a friction fit to hold in the fittings. With a little planning you can get the corners to have a little extra wire so you can pull the sections apart and fold them up for storage in the off season

deplanche
06-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of that if you have any or could take some.

daviddth
06-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Suction cups work fine here, but the windows are warm. If you find that wont work, then fishing line from the 2 top corners tied to the silhouette at each side can work wonders....

I had 20 silhouettes in wondows in my display last year, 26 this year (Putting them in the bedroom windows too - THATS gonna make for interesting sleeping lol)

rstehle
06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
I use 1/2" pvc for my windows. I use a wide kerf saw blade on my table saw and set the blade high enough to just cut through one side of the pipe. I rip cut the pipe to put a slot length wise in it. Then the fun begins, using a wide blade screw driver I pry the pipe open enough to feed the wire in and place the socket in the open channel. When you release the screw driver the pipe claps down on the base and holds it in place. I use regular PVC fittings to make the corners, the split pipe has enough of a friction fit to hold in the fittings. With a little planning you can get the corners to have a little extra wire so you can pull the sections apart and fold them up for storage in the off season

Sounds great, very clever!!
Thanks!

WakeFan
06-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I like sjwilson's idea, but I use zip ties. I may have to change.

WWNF911
06-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I like sjwilson's idea, but I use zip ties. I may have to change.

I like it as well. Are you guys not mounting the PVC and if so how? I don't know how to weld yet so the metal frames will have to wait. :(

ppohlman
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of that if you have any or could take some.

I second that motion. I think I understand how this would go together, but pictures are worth 1000 words. I need a new way to hang lights around the windows. I've tried several different things, but the cold temperature seems to always get the best of me. These are some GREAT ideas. It's getting me thinking of what else might work.

WakeFan
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I have brick. I made them a snug fit, so I wouldn.t need to attach them. I store them put together with light attached in my basement. So when its time, just stick them in and make a few adjustments(due to zip cords) and they're up.

deplanche
06-16-2008, 07:20 AM
I think this topic would make either a good addition to the wiki, or even better, a summer how-to for the newsletter.

lbro
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I am in the process of retooling my window lights. we had new windows installed during the renovations and I need to start over. I have some ideas, just need to work out the details.

sjwilson122
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I will try to dig out my pvc pipe frames on my days off (they are in the back of the shed and most stuff has to come out to get to them). I will post pictures if I survive the avalanche from the shed.;)