PDA

View Full Version : 12,00 Volt Zombie Zapper

willy510
10-31-2013, 12:21 AM
I didn't do much of anything for Halloween since I've been making a ton of coro stuff for Christmas but I just had to make something today.
4 foot tall 12,000 volt motion activated Jacob's ladder zombie zapper, and yes it's fully encased so no one can touch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ro6WvzCBRU&feature=em-upload_owner

budude
10-31-2013, 01:00 AM
Very nice - is that something that can run the night or does it get hot?

willy510
10-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Very nice - is that something that can run the night or does it get hot?

Thanks, It runs for a minute at a time, 12,000 volts does put off some heat. I don't think that I would run it constantly for fear of a meltdown. maybe I'll come up with a liquid cooled electrodes next year

Keebler
10-31-2013, 07:19 AM
you can encase the leads in a glass jar (obviously using shorter leads) the energy that builds will cook an egg, it is cool to watch too. the egg turns colors.
WARNING if you pump too many amps through the leads, the glass jar WILL EXPLODE (from experience, use protection!) even that is cool <evil grin>

when i worked on stage, i used mason jars, the tall gallon ones (at walmart) they are narrow and tall. it only takes a little time till the energy builds in the jar
and the cool part if you get close to it (without useing LOTS of amps) your wife and/or girlfriends hair will be attracted to the jar (as it creates static electricity).. pretty cool

Robo
10-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Can I run that off a Renard board?

JackFrost
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
You can run ANYTHING off a REN board ( might have to put a relay in between though ) :spox:

FTR - although it is encased ... you also might want to take warning that the juice that it takes to fire up and run a Jacobs Ladder is WAY more than enough to KILL someone . Not just toss them to the ground and make them do the wiggle jiggle dance , but seriously KILL them . I used to have one for my Halloween display but have since come to my senses . Kids are kids and teens are even MORE dangerous .. Meaning if a kids curiosity is strong enough , they WILL get to it and get a "closer" look/touch . And thats a risk that I could not live with and I know they couldn't/wouldn't either . ( not to mention if your insurance company ever found out about your Jacobs Ladder or even your city counselor )
I know they are a nice addition to ANY Halloween display , but you also have to think of your guests . Its kinda like a Halloween display my family and myself went to and the guy was using anti-freeze instead of fog juice .... Not only was he literally poisoning his patrons ... but he was in SERIOUS violation of the law . And the sad part ... when I confronted him , all he had to say was " it was cheaper to use then fog juice "
Anyway .. please re-think your use of the jacobs ladder in your display .

Skunberg
10-31-2013, 11:49 AM
I think it's great! But it should be inside a window or behind you handing out candy. Everyone gets to see it but can't get to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

CaptKirk
10-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Group buy!! ;-)

timon
11-01-2013, 03:47 AM
That is so cool. I love Jacob's Ladders. I made one of those when I was in 7th grade and even took it to school for show and tell. Boy what we could get away with in the 60's. Mine was made from coat hanger wire but a member of the church made one using copper pipe which looked wickedly cool.

The build looks really great. About the only thing I would suggest is to have some venting at both the top and bottom. The Jacob's Ladder wants to have the heated air rise which move the arc. If you seal up the box you're actually defeating keeping that hot air rising as you start to loose the temperature differential plus overheating the box. The main problem you run into is venting in such a way that some dumb kid can't stick a coat hanger in and touch the wires. Once properly vented you can let them run for hours without over heating. I left mine running for a couple of hours until my parents got tired of the constant buzzing and had ME shut it down since they would not go near the thing:)

ErnieHorning
11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Those are cool and I’ve made a few. The simplest one was just to use an oil burner ignition transformer. They’re kind of expensive if you had to buy one but I work for a company that makes them. It just needs a standard 120 VAC in to get 12,000 VAC @25 mA out. You just need to attach two straight wires to the output contacts and plug it in. You can get the wires almost a foot away but the spark starts taking some wild paths when you get near the limit. It probably knocks out all RF communications for several feet. It’s fun to watch though. :biggrin2: