PDA

View Full Version : Audio waveform, the grid and outputting to lights

timon
10-19-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't know if this is a bug or by design. If by design then this should be a feature request. So let me explain what I'm seeing and what I would like to see.

I was playing a sequence with the OutPut Sequence and Audio boxes checked. I can see the sequence in the lights and the audio and time is tracking just fine. What not tracking is the sequence grid it just sits at where ever you started the playback at. I did however figure out that if you roll the grid up and back down it will advance so the basics are there to allow the grid to advance.

If this is by design then I'm requesting a check box to allow the grid to advance much the same as the audio box does for the waveform. If it's not then take this as a bug report.

Now I am running HLS using Wine on my Mac so there could be an issue there. If it's a Wine issue then maybe there is something that can be done which will force wine to refresh the grid.

That said I would like to see the grid advance with everything else.

JHinkle
10-19-2013, 08:05 AM
The behavior is by design.

When you are actually driving the lights (transmitting data) - the performance demand on the computer goes up greatly.

If you are looking at the lights - there is no reason to look at a representation of them on the screen especially when doing so can introduce system lag.

HLS has one main goal - no matter how many channels you have - blink lights to audio with zero lag. Towards that end, the GRID is disabled.

Joe

dkulp
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
I agree with the feature request of a checkbox to advance the grid. Some of us have high end 4 core (or more) machines that can take it.

Personally, I'd take the request even further and ask for the Preview to also work while outputting. Hit this last week while testing my display. Wanted to compare the "real" setup with the preview with the timing in the grid because "something" felt off. Having everything move and display together would provide more information for debugging.

timon
10-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Actually what I've done is to put a 30 pixel section of WS2812 strip along the bottom of my screen so I can watch the beats and at the same time watch the audio and the grid. It does wonders when syncing them up. How I do that is another thread.

I totally understand keeping the performance up which is why I suggested the box setting. My thought was that your only looking at a small number of channels in the grid so the overhead should not be that high.

Displaying preview and the lights will tend to punch the processor but as was said processor performance is normally not a big issue. Still I can see not running preview while outputting.

So that said that's why I would love to see a totally standalone previewing program that would take in E1.31. It would allow one program to display preview from any sequencer be it HLS, xLights, LSP or even LOR. If it was going to track E1.31 UNICAST then it would have to monitor the network in promiscuous mode and be on a hub or on the same computer. This kind of preview could be a lot more than preview, it could be used as part of house projection.