PDA

View Full Version : User Titles and Ranks

Macrosill
03-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I have made some changes to the User Titles and Ranks. This will more accurately indicate a members history here on this forum.

You may be asking what the difference is between a Title and Rank. To add to the confusion is something called a User Group. I think the best way to describe it would be:

Title:
Junior Member = less than 250 posts
Member = 250 posts - 999 posts
Senior Member = 1000 posts or more
Supporting Member = Donates to the forum

The issue comes in when someone becomes a Supporting Member. The User Title changes and it can be somewhat intimidating to a less experienced poster when looking for advice. There is no direct indication of their "experience" on the forum. For this reason I have added User Ranks. The Ranks are only for the Supporting Member User Group as the Registered User Group simply displays the User Title. You will see the new User Ranks simply follow suit with the User Titles.

Junior Member = Supporting Member with less than 250 posts
Member = Supporting Member with 250 - 999 posts
Senior Member = Supporting Member with 1000 posts or more

I think this will assist in a everyone getting a better feel of the membership at large. An inexperienced member will not be masked by the Supporting Membership User Title and a Senior Member will be recognized accordingly. This masking has been brought to my attention on numerous occasions and thus the changes were made.

When I indicate "experience" on the forum in an above statement I placed in in quotes as simple post count does not necessarily reflect ones knowledge but it can help when reading a post and making a determination about an individual. Usually the higher posters are very knowledgeable about specific topics.

kmc123
03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Sounds Good Brian!
Is there any new news on the member ranking that was talked about in the past? It was equated to the feedback system on ebay If I remember correctly...

Macrosill
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I do not recall such. Can you elaborate or link me?

kmc123
03-17-2008, 09:31 AM
This is one:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2301&highlight=user+rating

But not the one I was thinking of :(

I can't find the other one. I'm pretty sure it was here on this site...

Basicly just a rating system of what others thought of you, your posts, etc...

Macrosill
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
hmm, In the thread it talks about a B/S/T feedback system. You are referring to reputation ratings I think? I could see where that might get ugly and cause more controversy. We seem to have plenty of that lately.

kmc123
03-17-2008, 09:48 AM
OK - Just wondering...

In that thread it was a B/S/T rating, but I thought there was another that talked about user ratings like I mentioned...

Since I can't seem to find it - It may have been on another forum.

I think it would be kind of useful - even better if you could make people start out with some number like "100" when they join (Like Karma points :) )

Everyone could bump you up for positive things you contribute, or bump you down for moronic things you do, and you could make a low level mark for auto ban at like "5" or something - That way, no one persons personal vendetta could get you evicted, but 95 people could self regulate the forum.

Just an idea, the numbers are arbitrary, Thoughts?

BuzzLightyear
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Awe Shucks, ya busted me, now I cant tell people what an expert I am by hiding behind my supporting member title. Really I think this is a great idea. If it was up to me I would just drop the supporting member title all together. I hope that the title was not the reason anyone donated.
Thanks again for providing an awesome site for me to learn about lighting control. This has been a great resource to me and a place to enjoy my other hobby of trying to understand people way smarter than me.

Thanks,
Buzz

rlilly
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
What? Busted to buck private overnight?? :lol:

Seems to now be too much information in the rank now though. Why not just 'Supporting Junior Member' or 'Junior member' instead of the two title setup.

I kind of like kmc's idea.

kmc123
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Bob.

The only reason I mentioned it was because I'd hate to be in Brian's shoes...
After seeing some of the crazy things in the last few weeks, I thought a way to have the community police the community would be better than to have Brian have to be the bad guy (Not that he still couldn't have ultimate authority) but kind of a "The tribe has spoken" thing... (For all you survivor fans :) )

Ronp
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
HMM JR member.....in 50 years i might be a Senior Member = 1000 posts or more
Unless we close the chat room

dnesci
03-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Brian, just a question. Doesn't this type of rank encourage posts regardless of quaility or relavence? I always thought that the ranking was based on membership length. I just figured the senior members were here from the start and us juniors were the newbies. It doesn't matter which system you use, but some of the posts in the Lounge lately have been off the wall and little relevance to the site.

Ronp
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
why would someone

Ronp
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
want to do that

Ronp
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
sounds like cheating to me

Mrplow123
03-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I am all for some sort of ranking system, but I feel some of us "old timers" who have been around from the "old days" when there were 3 different forums should automatically get senior member status. I visit this site a minimum of 3 times a day, and because I am a firm believer in, if you don't have anything important to say don't say anything at all, I am now a Junior member again. I don't post random useless coments just for fun, I only post when I can bring something valuable to the conversation, hence my low post count on this newer forum.

But I guess it does not matter too much, I know what I know, and that is all that matters.

I do see alot of random useless postings coming soon from everyone to up their member staus. And that in my oppinion, will create a bunch of wasted useless posts for people to wade through.

rlilly
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
sounds like cheating to me

ROFL!

(cmon, you got to love it!)

rlilly
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I am all for some sort of ranking system, but I feel some of us "old timers" who have been around from the "old days" when there were 3 different forums should automatically get senior member status. .
Maybe there should be 'grandfather' clause in the policy.

And that in my oppinion, will create a bunch of wasted useless posts for people to wade through.
Good point, if one assumes that most people would be more interested in a title rather than participating, learning, and doing.

I think that the number of posts should only have a partial impact on rank. Maybe posts to the Lounge don't count. A member's age, length of time since joining, kmc's idea and others could also have a partial impact. All the factors adding to 100%.

Then we can all pitch in and buy Brian a new server to crunch the member ranking numbers each evening...:)

At the end of all this, I'm not here for a title, so who cares?

Macrosill
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Sometimes an idea sounds good but it does not work out that way. All ranks and titles have been suspended as of now. The only thing left is Member and Supporting Member. It will stay like this until something else can be figured out.

rlilly
03-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I noticed status change in mid-read, so to find out what was going on.

Aurbo99
03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I'll add my two cents worth and then go back to soldering..

I dont like rank structures, it creates a class system where the "haves" are lording over the "have nots"

It only takes a few days in the forums or chat to figure out who the senior group are. If you wish to join them, contribute with your time and knowledge to make this a better DIY forum.

I'd rather see a rating system per post/topic if we have to come to that.. making some topics "sticky" meaning they stay near the top of each forum sub-topic menu.. the users decide on feedback how effective/useful the thread is.. the MOD's make it sticky or not based on that feedback.

That way useful/relevant information is not buried down the sub-forums by multi-posters looking to pad the stats.

Cheers
Steve

kmc123
03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Aurbo - That's pretty much what I was trying to say in post # 6 - The community polices itself - Users are given points by others when they show respect, help someone out, go beyond the norm, etc... BUT You can also have points taken away for the opposite reasons.

I went so far as to say if you hit a certain low point, then you would be auto banned.

It could even have something where a warning or "time out" score was hit first before going so low that you get banned.

Just some ideas...

Dan Ross
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Why not keep it the way it was and just add a developer and technical guru title/rank that you could assign to the people with all the smarts. That should clear up any doubt for anyone wondering about someones knowledge.

RavingLunatic
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Lets just get rid of the titles/ranks.

What true purpose do they serve anyway? A status symbol for those who obsess about things like that.

When a new member asks a question in the forums, they don't care who gives the answer as long as they get one.

1 of 2 things happens when an answer or information is posted in response to a question in the forums:

1 - If the info/answer is correct, nobody complains and the new member gets his answer and is satisfied

2 - If the info/answer is wrong or questionable, then other members add corrective information and unless a heated debate starts about which is correct, the new member still gets the right info and is satisfied.

I don't believe that anybody would reject information given by another just because of the type of title/rank he has.

Macrosill
03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I do not poses enough knowledge to make such determinations Dan. I have enough problems here with trying to determine some rules for coops to protect them membership at large and I get blasted by all sorts of people, some senior, some new and some very new. I have the best interests of everyone here at heart yet for some reason there are those who feel they have given enough to this community to sound off about topics they know little about. Now if I was to dare and try to determine who was worthy of such a title I know I would get all sort of nonsense from those same people who come in here and think they can take over and do it their way. Well this is our house and no one will come in here and push us around.

Nothing in the above text is directed at any particular individual. It is a general statement to be known by all. Sorry if I sound a bit bitter but all the crap floating around here lately will do that to you. Maybe the message should be "If you do not have something constructive to say keep your mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboard"

rlilly
03-17-2008, 10:21 PM

What true purpose do they serve anyway? A status symbol for those who obsess about things like that.

When a new member asks a question in the forums, they don't care who gives the answer as long as they get one.

1 of 2 things happens when an answer or information is posted in response to a question in the forums:

1 - If the info/answer is correct, nobody complains and the new member gets his answer and is satisfied

2 - If the info/answer is wrong or questionable, then other members add corrective information and unless a heated debate starts about which is correct, the new member still gets the right info and is satisfied.

I don't believe that anybody would reject information given by another just because of the type of title/rank he has.

This is what people want here. Read it again!!

Dan Ross
03-17-2008, 10:33 PM

This is the best overall idea. If all the balls are red then no one can cry about not getting to use the blue one. You'll still get some who want to use a green ball and not a red one, but hopefully that would be far and few between.

Matt
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
IMO, people should be judged on the merits of their contributions rather than how many posts they have (post count rank) or who they are (grandfather account). The same person can post meaningful help in one thread and utter garbage in another. Getting rid of ranks is a good idea.

-Matt

Wayne J
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
I get such a kick out this. The user rank thing get brought up, then there is a small handful, that starts going on posting spree's. I mean just plain useless stuff. Don't get me wrong, I throw out an occassional scrap post, but I have seen some of this continue for a full page (The Lounge excluded of course). Just loose the ranking, maybe the posting garbage will slow down.

ctmal
03-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not one into titles all that much, I'm a newbie and I'm sure it's obvious by the questions I ask in the forums. The only titles I think would be pretty neat would be for the people who designed the various controllers, etc on this website. Basically just to credit where credit is due.

wbuehler
03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
The whole ideal of ranking systems need to be buried so they may return from the bowels of hell were they spawned.

Bill

WWNF911
03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Actually, all that is trying to be accomplished is the fact that Senior member should mean something. Well, something more than you like to type. ALOT

christmas_junkie
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
How about u use repuatation. its an addon where on each post that u make.... someone can either give u a reputation point or take away one. Then u get higher rank by reputation not by posts

Macrosill
03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
The issue of User tiles and ranks is dead. They will stay as they currently are, Member and Supporting Member only. Everyone will have to make their own determination about another individual.

wjohn
03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Ronp, maybe we can open a post and just tic tac to each other until we get to 1000 posts each.

jderba
03-19-2008, 06:33 AM
They will stay as they currently are, Member and Supporting Member only. Everyone will have to make their own determination about another individual.

Again, no envy for Brian, but I agree this is the probably the best route to go. It won't take new members long to know who the senior members are and who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't once they start reading through the posts

Jack

dnesci
03-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Brian, I would like to apoligize if my question (comment) started this storm. I didn't mean to upset anyone or pour fuel on the smoldering embers. This site has been a great help to me and others and most of the members have been more than helpful. Whatever system you use, I"ll support it.

mrpackethead
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes, Captain Sargent Major Sir! May those who request ranks and rating systems have their arm pits infested with the fleas of a thousand camels

rstehle
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Or they could just enlist............:shock:

Jeff Millard
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
MPH added to the few, the proud... the ignore list. See ya!

and a little sick of ya too!

WWNF911
03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
MPH added to the few, the proud... the ignore list. See ya!

and a little sick of ya too!

Good idea!

mrpackethead
03-20-2008, 01:39 AM
interesting theres people you can't ignore!!

Jeff Millard
03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Good idea!

...and WWNF911 added to the Freinds list! :)

Jeff

WWNF911
03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Likewise Jeff!

Whats this?,... oooooo looks like MPH responded. OHHH thats too bad. I just can't see it!

Blow molds 2008
04-04-2008, 02:20 AM
I Just Want My Own Avatar.

ben
04-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I Just Want My Own Avatar.

Then pay the membership

Ben

p.s. yes I know I have not payed but its in my budget for next month.