PDA

View Full Version : help with computer upgrade

ben
03-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Ok, I do not have the $400 I want to build a new 2.0ghz processor computer with all the ports in the world so i am settling with upgrading my old 800mhz Pentium III computer. Its a Gateway bought in 1997 upgraded to WinXP home. Overall it runs ok, it might freeze when alot of programs are up. I just want to get a faster processor for as cheap as I can since I will have around 300+ channels and some LED stuff that will suck up and spit out the processor. Here is what I came up with:

MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121322

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819112213

$108.98

Not bad for me. I do plan on ebaying for a parallel card and serial card. I know it only has 2 slots on it. I am looking around Ebay for a nice cheap board. I like the processor though. 3.3ghz for $55, even if I don't get it all they way to 3.3 I can still run vixen and get on the internet if needed. Whatchya think?

Ben

tonypgst
03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Gateway from 1997, better check your RAM. I'd assume you may need to upgrade here for your new motherboard.

ben
03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Gateway from 1997, better check your RAM. I'd assume you may need to upgrade here for your new motherboard.

I'll look, I thought my dad upgraded it to 1g but RAM is cheap so I could get 2g for $20.

Ben

tonypgst
03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Ben, it is the slot type and speed of the ram compared to what is compatible with the motherboard that is important to match.

Here are your memory options with that motherboard. These are all 240-Pin DDR2 667 SDRAM (PC2 5300) in various capacities.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052108080+1052408745&name=DDR2+667+(PC2+5300)

ben
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Ben, it is the slot type and speed of the ram compared to what is compatible with the motherboard that is important match.

thank you for pointing that out I didn't even think about that.

Ben

ctmal
03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
A couple of things to look out for:
That board is a micro ATX board. You will have to check your old computer to make sure it is an ATX case(and power supply) and not an AT case(and power supply. If it doesn't have it written on the power supply itself, look at the connections to the motherboard. If the main connection is 1 long peice(usually white), it is AtX. If the connector is 2 small sections(they will be right next to each other so you might have to disconnect to tell) then it is AT.
You will definately have to the memory.
If you look around, you should be able to find a board with onboard video, sound, and all the ports you need for about the same price. I usually get my computer stuff from www.zipzoomfly.com. They usually have good prices and free shipping.

Hope that helps.

ben
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
That board is a micro ATX board. You will have to check your old computer to make sure it is an ATX case(and power supply) and not an AT case(and power supply. If it doesn't have it written on the power supply itself, look at the connections to the motherboard. If the main connection is 1 long peice(usually white), it is AtX. If the connector is 2 small sections(they will be right next to each other so you might have to disconnect to tell) then it is AT.
If you look around, you should be able to find a board with onboard video, sound, and all the ports you need for about the same price. I usually get my computer stuff from www.zipzoomfly.com. They usually have good prices and free shipping.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. SO far I looked for some other stuff and I changed my Motherboard to a cheaper one that still has the same capacity processor wise just extra PCI slots. I founa $35 case (I really don't care about looks) witha 430W PS and that should be fine and it has the necessary hookups. I will post my changes later. This has gone from an overhaul to a complete rebuild. I think I might just buy another HDD and have 2 computers. Then I have a backup comp.

Ben

derekhessman
03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
ZipZoomFly never seems to have anything I want in stock. I get my stuff from www.newegg.com Their prices are good and their customer service can't be beat.

Hope that helps.

jrock64
03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I hate to do this to you Ben
but how about an
IBM NetVista Intel Desktop PC (Off-Lease) - Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz / 256MB DDR / 40GB HDD / CD-ROM / 10/100 LAN / AGP Slot / Windows XP Professional

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2717584&CatId=2628

Like getting a free computer with purchase of an XP Pro license.
Also includes the very hard to find printer port and two serial ports.

Just a thought

Joel

ben
03-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I hate to do this to you Ben
but how about an
IBM NetVista Intel Desktop PC (Off-Lease) - Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz / 256MB DDR / 40GB HDD / CD-ROM / 10/100 LAN / AGP Slot / Windows XP Professional

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2717584&CatId=2628

Like getting a free computer with purchase of an XP Pro license.
Also includes the very hard to find printer port and two serial ports.

Just a thought

Joel

wow, umm, sold!! I actually think I will get this. A custom one with 3.3ghz will cost me $50 more PLUS the XP license. This is my new comp!!

Ben

ctmal
03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Great find! That's a great deal.

ben
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Great find! That's a great deal.

well a little update. I did some digging in our computer parts cabinet and found a PC our neighboor gave us minus HDD. I hooked it up to a 15g HDD and ran win98 system restore (all i have now) and I know have a computer runnin 800mhz and Win98 and one with 500mhz and WinXP (go figure)

Muskogee Gene
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow! Options are good. On the Tiger Direct system, if you order it, consider adding additional memory - at least another 256. XP doesn't run well w/256mb. 512 really is a minimum.

Josh
03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Ben, i have 4 1gig ddr2 crucial ram, it is 533... i will sell it at 20$ a stick. never used it, bought it for a pc i was going to build and never did.

ben
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Ben, i have 4 1gig ddr2 crucial ram, it is 533... i will sell it at 20$ a stick. never used it, bought it for a pc i was going to build and never did.

Let me take a look. I might take you up on that. If I am not mistaken I can run one stick of 1g and one of 256 right? Right now the both have 512 in them.

Ben

Josh
03-18-2008, 07:19 PM
it depends how many sticks it take, my motherboard has 3.
but yes, you can run whatever it has

ben
03-19-2008, 08:19 PM
it depends how many sticks it take, my motherboard has 3.
but yes, you can run whatever it has

Ok, mine has 2 slots. Right now it has 2 x 256mb . I would like to put in 1 x 1g and a 256 to start and then I will get that nicer comp and see if anyone wants this one to play with.

Ben

TERBObob
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Better check ...
"cause I doubt VERY much that either of those two PCs you currently have will run DDR2's . Heck , even that one on TIGER would not run DDR2's . ( 184 pin verses 240 pin and unlike what a lot of folks mythes are - you can NOT simply reverse the position when locking them in - it will not work )
One other thing ... also better check to see if your current PCs can even handle double sided ( 1 giggers and most 512's ) mem . alot of the older units can not ( of the 1 gig size ) and usually , you would have SDRAM sticks in there ( both units )

Josh
03-20-2008, 12:02 AM
you are correct... I did not even look at the computer in mention, Just the motherboard he listed to start with. Ben, once you determine what you are doing, and what RAM you need, check my website out I have some ddr, ddr2 and sd ram, even some laptop ram. http://jcook.890m.com/sale.html and let me know.

rstehle
03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Ben, you may have already tried this, but you might check out Craig's List in your area. There are sometimes fantastic buys on used PC's, with much better prices than eBay.