PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Halloween monster Quarter Test - "We are Monster high"

Xenia
10-02-2013, 12:47 AM
After I saw ZZtopmo's sequence for "We are Monsters High", I decided that I would like to add that to my show this year for the little kids. Unfortunately ZZtopmo's face positions did not match my face positions so after debating for a couple of days, I decided to learn enough HLS to do face animation. I will say that Joe's has done a great job on this part of his application and it is a great resource for us devoted Vixen users now that Xlight will convert HLS to Vixen or Vixen+.

My monsters are based on last years monsters but are about twice as big. Last year the coroplast sheet were 18"24". This year's coroplast sheets are 36" x 32" . This video was taken inside my garage and the audio is not the best. I still have to do the lights for the rest of this sequence. Only the faces are done more or less. I will probably add some eye movements before i am done. This is the first complete face sequence I have done on my own. Again it is just the faces and corresponds to the standard five position faces that Holidaycoro sells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGokCjnd1kc

DrNeutron
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Very well done!
Going to look great!

Leglamp
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Very nice and I like the song too! I had hoped to have an animated sequence like yours in my Halloween display this year, but just didn't have the time to get it done. Were those made with coroboard? Where did you get the patterns to make the chanracters? Whattype of lights did you use?

Adam

After I saw ZZtopmo's sequence for "We are Monsters High", I decided that I would like to add that to my show this year for the little kids. Unfortunately ZZtopmo's face positions did not match my face positions so after debating for a couple of days, I decided to learn enough HLS to do face animation. I will say that Joe's has done a great job on this part of his application and it is a great resource for us devoted Vixen users now that Xlight will convert HLS to Vixen or Vixen+.

My monsters are based on last years monsters but are about twice as big. Last year the coroplast sheet were 18"24". This year's coroplast sheets are 36" x 32" . This video was taken inside my garage and the audio is not the best. I still have to do the lights for the rest of this sequence. Only the faces are done more or less. I will probably add some eye movements before i am done. This is the first complete face sequence I have done on my own. Again it is just the faces and corresponds to the standard five position faces that Holidaycoro sells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGokCjnd1kc

Xenia
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Adam,

The patterns are my design, except for the Skeleton Skull which was borrowed from Holidaycoro. All lights are LED strings. All faces are made with coroplast. Here is an article from my website on last years monster build. Used same steps this year except I increased the size from 18x24 to 36x32.

http://www.xenialights.com/index.php/diy-projects/34-halloween-coro-animated-faces

JHinkle
10-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Xenia:

Now that HLS has been updated to include eyes -- you can do those also.

By they way --- threat your nose as an eye and treat any other animation segment (excepts the mouth) as an eye --- then you can completely integrate your animation.

I call them eyes --- but you can use them in multiple ways.

Nicely done.

Joe

Xenia
10-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks Joe! Thanks for this great applet in your software. No one does this as well as you have. Between the built in filtering and text/lyric processing, I saved a ton of time and ended up with a quality product for a first effort. I look forward after this season to exploring HLS further.

Torque
10-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Looks pretty good. I think I'll look into HLS myself here after this season.