PDA

View Full Version : USB to Parallel adapter

DECow
09-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I am guessing this has probably been addressed however has anyone come up with a way to use a usb to parallel adapter to drive the Olsen 595 controller? I want to convert over to my new computer which doesn't have a parallel port. Thanks.

dvc2013
09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
As far as I know nobody ever got it to work from a USB to Parallel adapter. I tried several and never had any success. I guess it only works with an on-board parallel port due to the way the software assigns the data, clock and strobe pins. There are many posts addressing the topic.

If you can find a RenC you can run from a USB to serial adapter. I have a RenC connected to an E1.31 bridge which works really well.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for.

ErnieHorning
09-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Yes, check out the Renard-595 Converter (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard-595_Converter) in the wiki. It also gives you the ability to do dimming with your 595 if you're using random phase TRIAC's.

ErnieHorning
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
As far as I know nobody ever got it to work from a USB to Parallel adapter.
You can't use a USB to parallel port because the timing of the bits is critical. There is no guarantee that Windows will put them in the right order or at the right time.