PDA

View Full Version : Making toroidal transformers safer

synnie
03-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Not sure if thats the right heading for what im after, but what do i need to do to make the transformer safer.I know the transformers you get with the Aussie lights doesnt have much in the way of overload protection but since my toroidal pumps out more amps , 10A compared to 1A at 24VAC i would like to fuse it somehow. There is a thread on Ozlights about it but the fella responsible hasnt finished it so am asking here if anyone knows what to do.

DennisB
03-08-2008, 07:50 AM
[ overload protection but since my toroidal pumps out more amps , 10A compared to 1A at 24VAC i would like to fuse it somehow. There is a thread on Ozlights about it but the fella responsible hasnt finished it so am asking here if anyone knows what to do.[/QUOTE]

I guess that guy is me....

I have just about finished the document, however your question about making the Torridal Tx safer is something that I didn't address because I hadn't thought I really needed to explain my interpertation of fusing the output of a transformer. But I will now.

When fusing a transformer the fuses should be both on the Primary side(input voltage) and the secondary side(output voltage). What I have done in the past is to use terminal strips that have the ability to be fused and use them on both sides of the Tx.

The Iron Core Tx I have used are rated at 300vA 24Vac 12amps on the secondary side. I have used a fuse rating of 10amps on the secondary side because that is what has been stated on the Tx. On my torridal Tx I have used a 10amp fuse as well, it is a 300vA 36vac Tx.

The main reason for fusing the secondary side of the Tx is to protect 'it' for short circuits and overloads.

I have run a cable from the output of one of my 24vac Tx's(fused at 10amps) and have run it onto my roof where it feeds 4 SSRoz boards (fused at 5amps) and have not had a problem with fuses blowing etc.

I would be virtually impossible to set up a torridal Tx in such a way where it was protecting each individual strand that you were powering, the fuses should only be there to protect the main power component and should always be rated at slightly less then the cable you are using on the secondary side, or at what the component is rated at.

Hope this helps a little bit Synnie..

Dennis

synnie
03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks dennis, thats pretty much what i was after, i had my toroidal hooked straight up to the lights with out any fuses.When the ropelights (12v but hooked up in pairs to run from 24v) were all on the output wires got very warm and was thinking of fusing them somehow to stop a possible short. Input and output protection mainly.