PDA

View Full Version : Elexol EtherI/O Output Module?

dononeil
07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi All, and especially Jonathan :-)... Way back like 4 years ago Jonathan made me an output plugin for the Elexol EtherI/O digital output module for Vixen 2... does anyone want to take a stab at making one for Vixen 3? I use this module for doing all sorts of controls via relays (fountains, pyro, pneumatics, etc...) for my 4th show, Halloween and even Christmas lights.

Here is the link to the site for the module:

http://www.elexol.com/IO_Modules/Ether_IO_24.php

Anyone want to give it a shot?

Check out my YouTube channel for examples of what I do with it and Vixen;
http://www.youtube.com/dononeil

sallz0r
08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Do you have the source code for the 2.x module? If so, it might be straightforward to make a 3.x module. If not, it might be harder. :-)

dononeil
08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately no I don't have the source... maybe Jonathan can provide it? The module is communicated to with a standard 'telnet' command, and it just accepts a few characters to turn bits on/off.

It would be nice to have both an output and an INPUT mode for triggering sequences. It would make my haunted houses even scarier if I could set up proximity sensors and have Vixen trigger sequences based on it :-).

Full C-source examples are on the elexol page, and I'd be happy to be a tester for you. I'd even make a donation if you get it working great!

Thanks!

jchuchla
08-04-2013, 08:21 PM
This sounds like another application for the generic serial text output module that hasn't yet been written. I haven't looked into your device specifically. But it seems like it just needs to receive certain bytes to do certain actions. I haven't seen many requests for a output module specifically for this device, so I doubt a specific one will be written. But in the grand scheme of things this device calls for exactly the same output method as controlling video projectors, sending RDS data, etc. just send a specific one-shot string to a specific port (serial com port, IP address:port).

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teberle
08-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Can you email me the dll's that Johnathan wrote for you? I may be able to decompile the dll to come up with something.

Tony Eberle

dononeil
08-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I've put a zip of the plugins here anyone to download to see if they can make a Vixen 3 version:

http://www.whtech.com/vixen/elexolplugin.zip

It contains plugins for both 2.1 and 2.5 for the Ethernet I/O module, as well as a plugin for the USB version of the I/O for 2.1.

Also included is a test xml, and the manuals on how to program and test it.

It would be nice to have a generic serial text output module to control all sorts of other stuff. Right now I've had to create a script using wget to control VLC for playing videos on networked computers... would have been nice to be able to just do a direct http or telnet session from directly inside vixen. I'm doing this on v2.1, which is most stable for me.

Is there a Launcher equivalent plugin for v3 yet? I didn't see it as part of the standard build. Maybe it's referenced a different way?

teberle
08-04-2013, 09:17 PM
The code doesn't look to bad. I will take a little time to do the conversion from 2.x vixen to 3.0 but should be able to get you something. Will you be able to test?

dononeil
08-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Awesome! Yes, I can test any time!! I have my setup ready to go in the workshop already, as I'm starting to get ready for Halloween :-)

Check out my new ride on the Halloween forums, it will all be run from Vixen:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/127498-my-home-built-dark-ride.html

teberle
08-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Ethernet module has been completed and tested by Don.

Working on the USB version and will have that completed soon.

Once both are tested I will submit a ticket and code to the main Vixen Branch.

teberle
10-31-2013, 07:58 AM
USB version of Elexol module has been tested as well, but modules are in the latest release of Vixen 3.

sallz0r
11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that Tony. Don, are you able to confirm the latest dev build controller modules work for you?

Thanks,
Michael

dononeil
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Everything worked great as of 3.08. I haven't tried 3.09 yet, I'll test it out this weekend and let you know.

Pegan23
12-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Not working in 3.0.10. You cannot 'configure' the controller.
After decompiling the .dll, it seems that the HasSetup override (new method?) needs to return 'true'
I have a working version, if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

teberle
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I will update the source and recommit to the main branch. Thanks.

Pegan23
12-31-2013, 02:26 AM
I also use the Elexol EtherIO units. After installing the latest version (3.0.10) I discovered that it is not possible to configure/setup the module.
I have downloaded and fixed the code, but am unable to submit the changes.
* The modules now seem to require a 'true' result from a HasSetup override method.
* a bug in the Setup form (Cancel button not working)
* added some additional error trapping to prevent an unhandled exception if the Stop button is pressed when there is no communication with the EtherIO module.
* limited the number UpdateState errors to a single Log entry, until communication is restored.

I have tested the changes with my EtherIO modules and it is all working as expected.
How can I post the changes back for someone to review and include in the main project?

Pegan23
12-31-2013, 02:29 AM
Are there any elements that you would like some assistance with?
I enjoy this type of project (interfacing with the real world) and would like to offer some time, if I can be of assistance.

Peter

teberle
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I also use the Elexol EtherIO units. After installing the latest version (3.0.10) I discovered that it is not possible to configure/setup the module.
I have downloaded and fixed the code, but am unable to submit the changes.
* The modules now seem to require a 'true' result from a HasSetup override method.
* a bug in the Setup form (Cancel button not working)
* added some additional error trapping to prevent an unhandled exception if the Stop button is pressed when there is no communication with the EtherIO module.
* limited the number UpdateState errors to a single Log entry, until communication is restored.

I have tested the changes with my EtherIO modules and it is all working as expected.
How can I post the changes back for someone to review and include in the main project?

If you want to send me a zip file with the corrected changes I can merge them with my code and then get them in the main branch.

dononeil
09-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Did this fix ever get introduced to the main branch? Any chance its going to work with 3.11 when it's released soon?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

davrus
09-12-2014, 11:26 PM
There is a Controller with the name Elexol Ethernet I/O 24 and also one called Elexol USB I/O 24 in Vixen 3.1. I don't have the hardware, so I cant test it.

dononeil
09-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Cool. I'll test them when the code is released. I have them both.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk