PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Lights to a Brick Surface.

zztopmo
07-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Hey guys (and gals) I come before you with a perplexing issue. I just recently moved into a brick home and the bricks are relatively smooth with very little lip. Without drilling holes, has anybody have any ideas about attaching lights to brick?

Dan@
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
What type of light?

You could try Hot Glue.

LabRat
07-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Don't? (ie. Could you just build a frame out of PVC pipe instead? Plastic pipe is fairly cheap, and easy to work with).

Not knowing exactly what you have in mind.. it's just an idea to banter around.

timon
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
I agree with LabRat, don't use glue and really look close at PCVC pipe. If you put take your time and measure well you can get tight friction fit on both inside and outside window frames. If you have shutters you can fit them around the shutters with some fingers to keep them from falling off. If you use white PVC expect it to discolor after a few seasons unless you paint it. And use UV resistant tie-wraps least they fall apart at just the wrong time.

amps
07-15-2013, 01:58 PM
I do mine by hot gluing narrow pvc pipe to the brick and then using zipties to attach the lights to it. Since I completely cover my walls, I run one long pvc pipe along the bottom and then installed a wire using eyehooks and anchors just underneath the sofits.

End of season, the pipe just pops off and it takes maybe 10mins to clean up an glue that didn't come with it. Also, don't worry about using UV resistant zip ties unless you're gonna keep everything attached year after year. Mine stay up for about 4 months and have never had any fail.

frankv
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I string wires across the front of the brick to attach lights to. The wires are attached to convenient structures (drainpipes, window frames). Going around corners, the wire can be placed in the groove between bricks so it will stay at whatever height you want.

Roterhead
07-16-2013, 12:09 AM
PVC pipe with double side Velcro for attachment may work well. If you build the frames tight, the Velcro has a tremendous amount of holding power.

Don't? (ie. Could you just build a frame out of PVC pipe instead? Plastic pipe is fairly cheap, and easy to work with).

Not knowing exactly what you have in mind.. it's just an idea to banter around.

TED
07-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Hey guys (and gals) I come before you with a perplexing issue. I just recently moved into a brick home and the bricks are relatively smooth with very little lip. Without drilling holes, has anybody have any ideas about attaching lights to brick?

There's a house about a mile or 2 from me that used to completely cover their house with lights. For many years they used staples. A few years ago they painted their house and after that they stopped using staples. The guy came up with a pretty nifty solution for hanging lights without attaching them to the house. The light strings were connected at the top by light clips attached to the shingles. At the bottom they were attached to 2x4s. The 2x4s were set out from the house even with the roofline and attached to the ground with some simple wooden stakes. The effect was just about the same as when they stapled the lights to the house.

With that said, I'd drill holes. ;)

TED

ErnieHorning
07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
With that said, I'd drill holes.Gray Slater just drilled holes in the mortar on each end and attached guy wire. Then added a couple of strings. :)
http://bazillionlights.com/