PDA

View Full Version : Kill the Confusion

kylboy06
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Ok, since I am pretty much a newb here, I have found some things very confusing, all though I am starting to learn what some things are, I still have no idea what others are.

I think it would be a good idea to have a Sticky inside of each of the controller threads, that basically explains what each controller is, what it does, how many channels it is, who created it, parts list, what is needed to use it (SSRs, Cables, etc), picture of the board (PCB, and finished), and instructions on how to build it, and how it is used with Vixen, etc. I know it would help a lot of people, because right now, you have to do a lot of searching and reading to figure this out, especially for some controllers.

omzig
03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I kind of agree. While the wiki attempts to do this, it is a little incomplete in some areas. Some boards are explained in great detail, but some are barely mentioned. I did a lot of searching in the beginning too and tried to piece all of it together. 7 Steps to Selecting a Controller (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=7_Steps_to_Selecting_a_Controller) has a lot of good info.

I understand that the wiki is a work-in-progress, and a group effort with many authors, some of which have more time than others, so it's understandable that some parts are more complete than others. But, it would be nice if there were a place that newbies could go that ties everything together and gives a concise overview of the whole DIYC thing. Of course it would be nice if there was world peace too. ;)

RavingLunatic
03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I will agree that it can be difficult for new members to sometimes put all the pieces together but it is getting better.

I think it would be a good idea to have a Sticky inside of each of the controller threads, that basically explains what each controller is, what it does, how many channels it is, who created it, parts list, what is needed to use it (SSRs, Cables, etc), picture of the board (PCB, and finished), and instructions on how to build it, and how it is used with Vixen, etc. I know it would help a lot of people, because right now, you have to do a lot of searching and reading to figure this out, especially for some controllers.

The main problem with this is the same problem that currently exists for keeping the wiki pages up-to-date: Someone has to assemble the info in a user friendly format and I can tell you from experience it isn't as easy as it sounds. The last 3 wiki updates I've done have been real time consuming and occassionally frustrating. So its not surprising that there aren't a lot of volunteers to do the work of putting all the info together.

As far as whether or not it should be a sticky, I believe that the basic relationship between the forums and the wiki should always be this: The wiki is the warehouse for all information and the forums are a place to discuss issues or ask questions. Also a sticky would only be updated by the original poster whereas the wikis are open to all registered users to update.

Keep reading the wiki pages and you'll figure it all out. Nobody said that it was going to be easy ;) but you will be able to figure it out.

rlilly
03-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I will agree that it can be difficult for new members to sometimes put all the pieces together but it is getting better.

The main problem with this is the same problem that currently exists for keeping the wiki pages up-to-date: Someone has to assemble the info in a user friendly format and I can tell you from experience it isn't as easy as it sounds. The last 3 wiki updates I've done have been real time consuming and occassionally frustrating. So its not surprising that there aren't a lot of volunteers to do the work of putting all the info together.

As far as whether or not it should be a sticky, I believe that the basic relationship between the forums and the wiki should always be this: The wiki is the warehouse for all information and the forums are a place to discuss issues or ask questions. Also a sticky would only be updated by the original poster whereas the wikis are open to all registered users to update.

Keep reading the wiki pages and you'll figure it all out. Nobody said that it was going to be easy ;) but you will be able to figure it out.

Raving Lunatic, I for 1 want to thank you for your excellent additions to the wiki. The Grinch, Ren-T, Ren-C are making it SO much easier for those (me) doing those controllers. (They just happen the be the ones I'm starting with) What existed before left many holes that had to be filled by posting never ending questions for those finding it difficult to read between the lines.

I agree that any Sticky should point to the wiki, with the wiki being the gospel. Hopefully the Sticky author can be 'guilted' into updating their portion of the wiki by virtue of the amount of questions about his (her) product (leave me alone crazychristmaslady!).