PDA

View Full Version : New Effects for Vixen 3 (Wipe and Alternating)

gizmohd
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
There are two new effects that will be available with V3 in the coming weeks..

Alternating
Wipe

I've posted a small video to help give you an idea on what these effects will do here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVgH6VnY31Y).

Each effect serves a purpose, for me the Alternating effect will be used primarily on my candy canes for alternating White and Red back and forth. The Wipe effect comes in to play when I want to wipe an effect across ALL of my elements (Left to Right, Right to Left, Top Down, or Bottum Up). Previously this effect was only available on more expensive paid software packages, but we wanted to make it available to everyone using Vixen 3.

Going forward, the team has come to a consensus that there will be more of these little previews and feature teases as they come about to help users understand the true power and flexibility we are trying to build into Vixen 3.

angus40
07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
very impressive .

I especially like the color selection box also as it is a native feature within Adobe .

barbotte
07-08-2013, 12:26 AM
those are cool

Wayne J
07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
OK, now that is exciting!

kychristmas
07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Congrats to the Vixen 3 team. I was just starting to look at the progress of all of the software projects. It's amazing how far Vixen 3 has come this year since the team was assembled. Thanks to the entire team for the efforts and especially the few guys who kept the heart beating since KC released the betas.

I am blown away by all of the progression of the Software Projects. That includes Vixen 2 with all of the various add-ins, Vixen Plus, Vixen 3, XLighrts and of course HLS and all the Nutcracker incarnations. I used to believe it made sense to focus development, but I have now been convinced that there is something for everyone. While I see myself with Vixen 2 or Vixen Plus for a couple more years, but it's nice to see all of the options. There seems to be something to fit everyone's needs no matter how simple or complex.

Roterhead
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Very nice and JIT for my CoroCanes!

But, there is a bug that I think was previously mentioned, but not sure. I've installed the latest developer build and starting on a fresh VM. I can create a new sequence, create some 'Canes. Then goto configure Previews, select Add, then the only preview I can deal with is Vixen Display Preview, click ok, then the application hangs. I remember reading something about missing the background jpg in this area, but I can't get that far. Do I need to hand edit the XML to support the background image?

There are two new effects that will be available with V3 in the coming weeks..

Alternating
Wipe

I've posted a small video to help give you an idea on what these effects will do here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVgH6VnY31Y).

Each effect serves a purpose, for me the Alternating effect will be used primarily on my candy canes for alternating White and Red back and forth. The Wipe effect comes in to play when I want to wipe an effect across ALL of my elements (Left to Right, Right to Left, Top Down, or Bottum Up). Previously this effect was only available on more expensive paid software packages, but we wanted to make it available to everyone using Vixen 3.

Going forward, the team has come to a consensus that there will be more of these little previews and feature teases as they come about to help users understand the true power and flexibility we are trying to build into Vixen 3.

derekbackus
07-08-2013, 10:11 PM
starting on a fresh VM.

It may be the VM. What VM are you using? I have not tested it in a VM, but will if it is one I have or can D/L.

Roterhead
07-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm using VMWare Desktop V9.02 with Win7x64 Host / Guest.

I just installed onto another Win7 x64 desktop (Phy) and have the same exact issue. (Vixen never installed on the machine before).
I de-installed, rebooted the machine "just to make sure", re-installed with exact same problem.

Here's a download link where you can see my actions and the hang...
https://gsl.egnyte.com/h-s/20130709/9475a58e3af04ea2

dpitts
07-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Very nice. You are starting to perk my interest big time. Spacial rendering is one of the biggest features on my list for a sequencer. I am glad that you are developing this feature and look forward to seeing what other effects you will make to take advantage of x and y location.

derekbackus
07-09-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm using VMWare Desktop V9.02 with Win7x64 Host / Guest.

The video helps, thank you.

I looked for VMWare Desktop and found:

VMWare Workstation and VMWare Player. My search on Google didn't return "Desktop"

I'm downloading the player to see what I can do with it.

Thanks,

Derek

Roterhead
07-09-2013, 10:07 AM
My bad. I tend to exchange PC, Workstation and Desktop interchangeably.

Vm player will need a pre-made vm to use. VM workstation likewise, unless you load a fresh copy of windows. The latter is possible as activation won't shut the os down for a few days.

jlowe
07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Very cool! Looking forward to more of these videos as things progress!

battle79
07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Loving the sound of the X/Y color sweeps. Also was wondering if an output module could be made that dumps the E1.31 output into a temporary file (or on the fly if easy enough) and then converts it to FPP format for David's (dpitts) Falcon Pi Player. That would solve one of my big problems of running my show from my PC and using it for everything else also. For $35 plus incidentals it's a lot cheaper than any cheap PC I could throw together as a show computer. And a lot smaller as a bonus.

Cheers,
Rowan

smeighan
07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Loving the sound of the X/Y color sweeps. Also was wondering if an output module could be made that dumps the E1.31 output into a temporary file (or on the fly if easy enough) and then converts it to FPP format for David's (dpitts) Falcon Pi Player. That would solve one of my big problems of running my show from my PC and using it for everything else also. For $35 plus incidentals it's a lot cheaper than any cheap PC I could throw together as a show computer. And a lot smaller as a bonus.

Cheers,
Rowan

It was not the cost or the size, it was teh fact that the rhasberry pi creates exact 50ms time slices. In xlights , Matt Brown, mentioned that when he set a 50ms interrupt in Windows he did nt always get 50ms. This causes some timing issues.

My big love of the pi is how accurate my timing markls are.

It would be nice if Vixen 3 offered to create a Pi Player file. The file is just a binary file of all teh data from a sequence in 50ms slices. Currently the only way to get a pi player file is to use the Convert tab in xLights.

Speaking of which, what binary file will Vixen 3 offer as an output so it can be added to the Convert tab?

On another note, will Vixen 3 allow people to create a file that can be pasted into the Vixen 3 timeline.

LOR has lcb files
Vixen has vir files
HLS has hlsnc files

People have written tools (Bob in LOR land has written a Papagayno addin to do lip synch to music, effect generators for text at an angle and other things). He then produces a lcb file that can be pasted anywher ein someones sequence.
Others have created Vixen vir file addins.

Is the architecture of Vixen 3 assume you must create effects only inside of Vixen 3?
BTW, Nutcracker has no grid, only high level effects applied to targets. This is cool, but does make it that people need to know how to code in C++ if they want to add new effects.,

thanks