PDA

View Full Version : Remove paint from C7/C9 Bulbs

kylboy06
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I found some old C9 bulbs in the closest the other day, and I want to use them for 2008. The problem is that I have all multi color bulbs, and I need them to be clear. So I am trying to remove the paint or color from the bulbs. I tried heating up vinegar to a boil, and using that to scrub the bulbs, and it was working for awhile, so with a little patience, this would probably do the trick.

If anyone else has any methods they would like to post, please do, because there is bound to be an easier way.

Josh
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
im sure this will work, but maybe too well? buy some aircraft stripper, make sure to wear gloves while using this, and DONT get any on anything you want to keep paint on.

Should be found in the autosection at walmart or at auto stores. last i knew it came in a spray can, and a liquid.

deplanche
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I found that after several years of use -- putting up, taking down, being on schrubs, ice forming on them -- the paint just falls right off. So if someone here can invent a time machine..... :)

I have used 2 methods for this in the past for the bulbs that started peeling some paint, and looked better and clear than cracked blue, red, or green.

The first is to use a razor blade paint scraper. Wear gloves when doing this, but it seems to work well if you have coordination and pay attention.

The other is to use a fine to very fine grit sandpaper on the painted blubs. Do this by hand, because you'll break the glass with a power sander. This method does then to scratch up the glass quite a bit, so you won't get a true clear bulb, you'll get more of a frosted bulb. I acutally prefer that in many cases, so this is what I do most of the time.

kylboy06
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Good ideas guys, I think I would actually prefer the frosted look, so I might have to try using sandpaper.