PDA

View Full Version : newbie has some questions for his first display

bobkedeba
02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
hi,

I do christmas light displays for 4 years now but they al have bin static ones,so 2008 would be my first computer controled dislplay, I live in belgium one of the 240V countrys where lights are very expensive at 9 dollars at a 120 light set.
so thats why there are yust 2300 lights in my display but still in belgium this is a big display and if I would start whit computer controled displays in 2008 I would be the second in belgium!
so you see in belgium christmas lights are not so popular is in the US.
my question is where can I order heavy 24 volts transformators to power my display (the url of a webshop)
I now have an 8-channel basic parralel relay board also nown as kit 74 to control my lights.
also I love the websites with controller and technical photos and how to's
so if younow url's of that kind of websites I would be very happy with them ;)

bob de backer
belgium

WWNF911
02-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Will this work Bob?
http://www.lightinstyle.co.uk/default.aspx?act=Uprod_C16_S214_P1924

PS - Not sure how long you've been looking around here, but if you like technical sites with how to's etc. You've come to the right place. :) Click here (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page)

Welcome.

Can't wait to see what you've done this Christmas.

Leon

bobkedeba
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
thank you wnf 911

yes that transformator would work but I think I am am going to put two
12 volts transformators in serie so I also have the double amount of lights that I can put on it.but I don't really know this is possible.:???:

thank you for the wiki page this is what I mentionned.;)

lightzilla
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Yo my man, I'm a newbie as well, and this too will be my 1st year to set my lights to music if all goes well. I have been decorating for 30 years and the most lights I ever got up to was 6000. You have 2300 lights....I say good for you, and that is nothing to be a shamed of. I live in Alberta Canada ( this Province made $231million or is it billion dollars on oil reavnue), and yet with all these high paying jobs that many Albertians have....heck alot of these dead beats wouldn't even put up 1 single bulb not alone a musical light show.
So keep up the good work and I truly hope you will be the second home to have controllered lights in all of Belgium.
By the way I pay (on sale) $7.00 for a 70 light LED set, otherwise it can cost sometimes up to $23.00 for a 70 light LED set....depending on the colour. So I know how you feel.
I am going to study this board for awhile to get some understanding about the controllers they use on this forum. Right now I am making a Ferris Wheel for a Christmas display, then I well be looking at buying controllers. I hope the ferris wheel will be a major attraction (like McDonalds)LOL!

synnie
03-13-2008, 11:14 PM
welcome to DIY Bob, im in Australia and we also use the 240V lights with transformers running to 24 or 36V.Check out your area for electronic wholesalers and dont be afraid to look overseas if need be ( easy for me to say that because EVERYWHERE is overseas for us...lol). A simple SSR here would cost about $35.00 to buy the parts to build, import from US and im looking at $14....there are savings to be made on the world wide web.......

bobkedeba
03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
thank you for the nice words lightzilla.
I hope to reciecve a picture of your ferris wheel;)

rlilly
03-14-2008, 04:49 PM
By the way I pay (on sale) $7.00 for a 70 light LED set, otherwise it can cost sometimes up to $23.00 for a 70 light LED set....depending on the colour.
lightzilla, if you find someone selling 70 ct LEDs for $7.00, be sure and let me know. I'm in the market! (Is that $7 Canadian?)

PS I forgot to welcome you, bobkedeba!

lightzilla
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
lightzilla, if you find someone selling 70 ct LEDs for $7.00, be sure and let me know. I'm in the market! (Is that $7 Canadian?)

PS I forgot to welcome you, bobkedeba! And to answer your question, yes that is Canadian dollars. I picked up from a Canadian tire store some 35 light sets of LED for $2.98 each (Gold in colour), so I thought why pay $9.50 for a 70 light gold LED set if I can get two 35 light sets for $6.00. Then I picked up 6 100 light LED sets for $6.98 each (mybe it was 10 sets), anyhow I picked up another 10 sets of 70 light LED sets and about 5-70 light sets of LED icicle lights (that was all they had left before Christmas) I wanted 8 more sets. I put them around the peremiter of the front yard. All just under $7.00 Canadian. Those were sale prices two weeks before and after Christmas. I did get good deals in November (that is where the 100 light sets came from). After Christmas I paid $1.98 for indoor 70 light LED sets....I picked up all that "The Real Canadian Supper Store" had, now I have about 500 indoor/outdoor LED lights freed up for out door use. I threw out mostly or gave away about 5,500 mini light and replaced them with LEDs and now I am starting over. So I want to buy another 3000+ LED lights for 2008, not much but thats about the best I can do with limited resorces (money). That well give me 6000+ for this Christmas, yet I may hit 7000. So I rely on displays to attact a crowed, animal displays mainly....these kind of displays make the heart of an avg. Canadian say "awwww...that is so cute". The soldiers in the guard houses don't have the same effect as a daddy bear and a cub in a cave with candy canes in thier hands and a Christmas tree.

Anyhow, yes I shall let you know if I come across any LED light at a good price, but that wont be until late Sept or mid Oct..
By the way my GE Lights and Sounds of Christmas was inside the cave behind the bears (attached to the bottom porch).

rlilly
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks, Lightzilla.

bobkedeba
03-17-2008, 02:58 PM
hi,

this is what I came up whit so far.
I hope to hear your opinions about it.
by the way: the smaller box on the left is not only housing the amp meter but also the head relay that will turn all the lights on and off being controlled by the head relay control board in the living room so I don't have to go in a cold garage to turn the lights on and of.;)

Virtus
03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
That looks like it should work. You are on the Normally Open connection on the relay and that is what you would want.

kmc123
03-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Cool cases!
Where do you get those?

Wayne J
03-17-2008, 10:17 PM
They look to be spinkler control boxes.

bobkedeba
03-18-2008, 02:11 AM
hi,

I think you can only buy the boxes in belgium, I just buy them in the DIY store at 16 dollars for the big one and 8 dollars for the small one. these are the biggest boxes you can get in my DIY store.
by the way: the control panel still eighnt finished and I later on will put more pictures on the forum.

WWNF911
03-18-2008, 02:42 AM
hi,

I think you can only buy the boxes in belgium, I just buy them in the DIY store at 16 dollars for the big one and 8 dollars for the small one. these are the biggest boxes you can get in my DIY store.
by the way: the control panel still eighnt finished and I later on will put more pictures on the forum.

Hey Bob, Are you converting for us or are those values in Euros?

Leon

bobkedeba
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
hi,

those ar already in US dollars

bobkedeba
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
hi,

this is the resolt after another few hours of work,
I have put a heavy duty wire on it so it won't get warm.
the two heavy duty blue plugs that are lying on the shelve will plug in two heavy industrial 24V transformers that I have ordred to feed the lights that are coming on the shelve.

WildWillie
03-22-2008, 09:51 AM
hi,

this is the resolt after another few hours of work,
I have put a heavy duty wire on it so it won't get warm.
the two heavy duty blue plugs that are lying on the shelve will plug in two heavy industrial 24V transformers that I have ordred to feed the lights that are coming on the shelve.

Looking GREAT, Bob! Keep up the good work!

TERBObob
03-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Just curious here ... why can't the folks who require 240 volt light setups , simply use the US standard mini lights ( at a cheap price ) and simply double the light count per string ( since the bulbs are what equals out to the 110 voltage - 2.5 volt bulbs = 50 bulbs ? )
Wouldn't this be a cheaper route , PLUS give MORE lights for them ? ( I know that there is some splicing involved , but , hey , thats what they make heat shrink tubing for - LOL )

bobkedeba
03-23-2008, 04:10 AM
hi, terobob

the reason why I don't do that is because the shiping is very expensif when you live in europ. also the amps limit of 40 amps is a problem here in belgium, so you can't go very big. I was thinking of doing that but I didn't because of the high shiping rates.
there is an english guy who does this and england is also an 240 V country.
but he uses safety transformers insted of splising the light strings.
he has alot of technical pages on his website.
here is the url of his website:
http://bulbmuseum.net/displays/

bobkedeba
03-25-2008, 02:05 PM
hi,

Yes, my two heavy industrial 24 volts transformers are arived,
now my panel is finaly finished.
here are some pictures: