PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3 Preview Beta

derekbackus
05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
I've been working with the Vixen 3 team to create a new preview module. To see more, take a look at the Sneak Peek (http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3/new-preview-sneak-peek/) on our blog.

I've tested it a little -- by creating a preview for my house and testing it as it was written but, it's time for more testing. So, I'd like to ask for your help in testing this module so we can try to squash all the bugs before our official release and inclusion in the official Vixen release in a few weeks.

Someone on the team is working on a daily build that will include all of the latest and greatest changes, but until then, follow the steps below to get the preview. When the daily build is available, I'll edit this post with new instructions.

Steps to Test

Download and install Vixen 3.0.5 (http://www.vixenlights.com/download/vixen_3/current_release/Vixen-3.0.5.zip) or greater.
Backup your Documents/Vixen 3 folder. This is BETA CODE and it is safe to assume it will break your settings.
Download the Latest Beta v0.0.3 (http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen-Preview-Beta-0.0.3.zip) (this link will change)
Follow the readme.txt file in the latest beta ZIP to copy the required DLLs to the proper folders.
(optional) consider using the new Profiles Feature (http://www.vixenlights.com/pre-release/profiles/) to keep your testing folder separate.
Run it and post your thoughts here in this forum topic.

How to Get Help

First, check the online documentation for the preview (http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-documentation/preview/) and pay particular attention to the videos. The preview can be complicated, which is why I have tried to write some documentation and have put my horrible voice to video.

Ask anything you want here. I'll answer and there are a couple other members of the team that may stick their head in from time to time to answer a question or two.

Reporting Errors

Please report any errors or suggestions here.

To report an error, please include:
The steps to replicate it.
Vixen 3 version AND Preview version #.

What Version of the Preview do you Have?

To see what version you are currently using, click on System/View Installed Modules and browse to Vixen Display Preview (see images below):

19321 19322

Thanks for your help!

corytcline
05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Is this different than what you sent me?

derekbackus
05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Is this different than what you sent me?

There has just been a couple minor changes since I sent it to you.

corytcline
05-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Ok ill get back to playing with it soon most of my free time in the near future will be spent helping with the tornado cleanup here.

jpb
05-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Had a quick play last night.
Sweet :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

derekbackus
05-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Ok ill get back to playing with it soon most of my free time in the near future will be spent helping with the tornado cleanup here.

What a mess. I hope your family and friends are ok.

Derek

derekbackus
05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Had a quick play last night.
Sweet

Thanks! Shoot me any feedback when you get a bit more to mess with it.

Derek

mkozik1
05-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Derek - Installed this morning and looking at the PreviewInstallation.txt you may want to change this to copy the folders to modules/preview rather than modules/VixenPreview to save any confusion. I initially did this based on the instructions and the preview did not show up in the Installed Modules tab. I moved them to the preview folder and it showed up.

Just an observation :-)

derekbackus
05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Derek - Installed this morning and looking at the PreviewInstallation.txt you may want to change this to copy the folders to modules/preview rather than modules/VixenPreview to save any confusion. I initially did this based on the instructions and the preview did not show up in the Installed Modules tab. I moved them to the preview folder and it showed up.

Just an observation :-)

Ah, good observation, thank you :)

I've updated the download to version 0.0.3.

Changes:

- Updated the PreviewInstallation.txt in the ZIP
- Changed the processing thread for the preview to make it more responsive -- please provide any feedback to this.

Thanks,

Derek

corytcline
05-26-2013, 08:02 AM
What a mess. I hope your family and friends are ok.

Derek

My family is good. I had a few friends loose their place but none lost their lives so all is good there to. Going out again today to help where we can.

I got a chance to play a little though and went to make a firestick. There was no quick template for that so I tinkered with the new template tool. I managed to make a firestick but wonder if there is a way to save the template? Or did I over look. It stayed in the new template box when I went to make a second one the first was still there.
Now I have not tried but... If you have pixels and you make the colors change do they in fact change in the display preview as well?? May have to try this even though I do not have pixels, curiosity is getting the best of me

dsmjuggalo
05-28-2013, 05:54 PM
seems to work great, have had no issue creating and linking elements. I do have one question though, how would I go about creating icicles on my preview? any chance of a icicle element added to it?

derekbackus
05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
seems to work great, have had no issue creating and linking elements. I do have one question though, how would I go about creating icicles on my preview? any chance of a icicle element added to it?

Thanks for the feedback!

There is no item for icicles, but... there is a workaround (I can't take credit for this)... Use the net and stretch the corners to make a parallelogram. you'll notice it looks just like icicles. You can mess around with the settings to get the spacing you want.

deanathpc
05-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Derek apparently we are almost neighbors.. I'm in Batavia!! I didn't know that there was a developer for Vixen so close to me!!!!! I just downloaded the beta again and started going through it. I guess I really need to do more with it though. I'll try this new preview when I get a chance in the next week or so!.

Dean

derekbackus
05-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Derek apparently we are almost neighbors.. I'm in Batavia!! I didn't know that there was a developer for Vixen so close to me!!!!! I just downloaded the beta again and started going through it. I guess I really need to do more with it though. I'll try this new preview when I get a chance in the next week or so!.

Awesome. I've been wondering who the people around me are that do these things. I keep hoping someone will plan and a get-together somewhere near Rochester or Buffalo or even Syracuse. I drove to a couple places near me I found this year and had a lot of fun. Even the family had a good time driving all over the place looking for dancing lights.

The Vixen 3 team is all over the place. Our leader in Australia!

There are a lot of exciting things going on with Vixen 3. We've got the preview, profiles, performance enhancements, discrete colors and I've been working on adding Nutcracker effects. We hope to have a new release in the next month or so. For now, the preview enhancements are huge and I think awesome (tooting my own horn here).

Thanks for taking a look!

deanathpc
05-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Awesome. I've been wondering who the people around me are that do these things. I keep hoping someone will plan and a get-together somewhere near Rochester or Buffalo or even Syracuse. I drove to a couple places near me I found this year and had a lot of fun. Even the family had a good time driving all over the place looking for dancing lights.

The Vixen 3 team is all over the place. Our leader in Australia!

There are a lot of exciting things going on with Vixen 3. We've got the preview, profiles, performance enhancements, discrete colors and I've been working on adding Nutcracker effects. We hope to have a new release in the next month or so. For now, the preview enhancements are huge and I think awesome (tooting my own horn here).

Thanks for taking a look!

I know of one other in Rochester. I didn't know there were more!!!!! We are gonna have to talk more! Now I'm curious! We should do a get together!!!!

I can't wait for version 3. I like what I see so far.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

MarkL
06-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I decided to give this a try tonight, but Vixen is crashing when I try to use it. Here's what I did.

I only had a couple of elements defined, so I decided to start with a clean install of 3.0.5.

Downloaded the beta preview and copied the two dll's into Modules/Preview.

Fire up Vixen3. System -> View Installed Modules shows "Display Preview" and "Vixen Display Preview".

Go to "Configure Previews". Click on "Add New Preview". Select "Vixen Display Preview". Hit OK.

Results in "VixenApplication has stopped working" Problem details are below.

OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. Vixen 3.0.5. Preview beta 0.0.3.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: vixenapplication.exe
Problem Signature 02: 3.0.5.0
Problem Signature 03: 513abaeb
Problem Signature 04: VixenPreview
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 519cb59d
Problem Signature 07: 1dc
Problem Signature 08: d
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2626
Additional Information 2: 2626986d458836d52e1164b364989619
Additional Information 3: 2a67
Additional Information 4: 2a678cd5bae83eb9ba6ba7d17536cca6

angus40
06-02-2013, 03:00 AM
Would running Vixen as Admin change anything ?

derekbackus
06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Results in "VixenApplication has stopped working" Problem details are below.

I can't replicate this... and I sure wish I could. If either DLL was not there, or in the wrong place, it would not show up. I'm wondering if you can rename your "Documents/Vixen 3" folder (or delete it if you don't care about it) and then try again.

I don't run with UAC turned off or in Administrator mode. You may want to try running this as an administrator (right-click and pick "Run as Administrator". Perhaps it is some type of permission issue and running this way would answer that.

Let me know.

Thanks!

corytcline
06-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Seems like I had to take the original preview module or dll out if the folder and just leave the new one in for it to work for me. I remember having some issues but removing the original preview seemed to fix it.

MarkL
06-02-2013, 06:12 PM
No luck.

Tried running as Admin. (That seems to be an HLS quirk. I've never seen that affect any other user level software.)

Tried moving the Documents/Vixen 3 folder aside.

Tried removing the old DisplayPreview.dll.

I can get to the point of configuring the old display (after restoring the dll), so it does seem to be specific to the new preview module.

Bummer. Maybe I'll wait until the versions advance a bit and try again. I know how frustrating it is to have a problem that you can't re-create.

Mark

MarkL
06-03-2013, 11:42 PM
So I installed the Fusion log viewer and captured the following error report. (Yeah, I really have no idea what I'm doing here, but google gives just enough information for a guy like me to be dangerous.) Does this mean anything to anyone? Obviously there's a file that can't be found, but I can't tell what that file is.

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (6/3/2013 @ 10:25:01 PM) *** The operation failed. Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified. Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\cl r.dll Running under executable C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\Vixen\VixenApplication.exe --- A detailed error log follows. === Pre-bind state information === LOG: User = VAIO\Mark LOG: DisplayName = VixenApplication.resources, Version=3.0.5.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null (Fully-specified) LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Mark/Desktop/Vixen/ LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL LOG: Cache Base = NULL LOG: AppName = VixenApplication.exe Calling assembly : VixenApplication, Version=3.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. === LOG: This bind starts in default load context. LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\Vixen\VixenApplication.exe.C onfig LOG: Using host configuration file: LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\co nfig\machine.config. LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind). LOG: The same bind was seen before, and was failed with hr = 0x80070002. ERR: Unrecoverable error occurred during pre-download check (hr = 0x80070002).

Roterhead
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Sounds like the DotNet assembly got partially stepped on. This can happen with rouge AV "helping" or other issues. I would save everything off to another folder then re-install...

derekbackus
06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Grasping at straws here.

Perhaps re-install the .NET runtime:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

MarkL
06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Sigh. Completely removed the .NET installation and re-installed. No luck.

I'm considering restoring the computer back to factory state, but I just can't bring myself to that quite yet. I'll hold out hope that someone has an idea that works.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's some interactive with the Sony crapware installed on the computer. I love the apps that came with the computer, but their "utilities" are an obstrusive PITA.

Mark

Roterhead
06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
I just talked to a friend about this and he indicates MS security
updates may be at fault. Are you complete on all windows updates?

MarkL
06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes, Windows is all up to date.

Derek - I sent you a PM with some debug info that I gathered. From what I can gather online it seems to indicate a dangling pointer issue, but I'm not sure why I'm affected and others aren't. (Although honestly I'm surprised at the low amount of feedback this thread has produced. I thought there were a lot of folks waiting for this new preview, but there doesn't seem to be much feedback posted.)

When I get a chance, I plan on trying it on a different computer.

Mark

gizmohd
06-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Ive been working with Derek on the preview and have been stressing it pretty hard... And havent seen this issue myself... I hate these isolated issues, because usually if it happens with one individual it WILL eventually happen to someone else.. Finding whats causing it, is the kicker

MarkL
06-10-2013, 11:09 PM
So I managed to induce some different behavior. I thought it was fixed, but that hope was short lived.

In exploring I found the following under the System menu: Execution Engine -> Stop. I have no idea what that is, and can't find any mention of it, so I stopped. The formerly green box in the lower left turned red and states "Execution: Closed".

Now I go back to Configure Previews, Add New Preview, and select the new Vixen Display Preview. OK, and... no crash! Hallelujah, or so I thought. Now if I select the preview, and try to "Configure Preview" a box pops up with "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application." I can post the details of the exception text if you think it would be useful.

Mark

jpb
06-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Something that I have found while playing around is that if I do something silly and crash Vixen I need to reboot my computer before starting Vixen again otherwise I get ongoing problems.

Jon

Materdaddy
06-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Something that I have found while playing around is that if I do something silly and crash ANY WINDOWS APPLICATION I need to reboot my computer before starting ANY WINDOWS APPLICATION again otherwise I get ongoing problems.

Jon

Fixed that for you...
</hijack>

derekbackus
06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Now if I select the preview, and try to "Configure Preview" a box pops up with "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application." I can post the details of the exception text if you think it would be useful.

Sure, I'd like to see it. You can post it here or PM me. I'm looking at the exception information you PMed me now and have a new DLL I'd like you to try. There's been some changes to this so hopefully it'll work for you. I'm hoping we've not added any dependencies in the last few weeks that would prevent the DLL from loading.

I'd like you to try it. If all works, great, just let me know. If not, please look at the System/Logs/Debug and send me the last few sections that start with: ----------------- Preview:VixenPreviewControl Init ---------------------

On another note. If you are not having a current issue with the preview, I would not recommend you download this. We will hopefully, in a couple days, have a new Vixen build (Bleeding Edge) that you can try. There are some new features, some performance enhancements and a new effect that you pixel lovers will not believe!

MarkL
06-11-2013, 10:44 PM
No luck with the new dll. Here's the contents of the debug log.

[6/11/2013 9:39:51 PM]: ----------------- Preview:VixenPreviewControl Init ---------------------
[6/11/2013 9:39:51 PM]: Preview:Resize
[6/11/2013 9:39:51 PM]: Preview:AllocateGraphicsBuffer

derekbackus
06-11-2013, 11:36 PM

[6/11/2013 9:39:51 PM]: ----------------- Preview:VixenPreviewControl Init ---------------------

Oh... The next line in my code is:

if (context != null)

which... it shouldn't be null... so the background is never getting allocated.

derekbackus
06-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Ok, I think this helps... Try the attached and let me know.

MarkL
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Nope. More info from the debug log below.

I'm not sure what the significance of stopping the execution engine is. If I stop it, I can add the preview without the crash. However, attempting to configure it results in the unhandled exception error.

[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: ----------------- Preview:VixenPreviewControl Init ---------------------
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: Preview:Resize
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: Preview:AllocateGraphicsBuffer
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - context != null
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - context.MaximumBuffer.Width:225 context.MaximumBuffer.Height: 96
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - this.Width387 this.Height: 295
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: Preview:InitializeGraphics
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - context.MaximumBuffer.Width:388 context.MaximumBuffer.Height: 296
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - New bufferedGraphcis allocated
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: Preview:Resize
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - context.MaximumBuffer.Width:388 context.MaximumBuffer.Height: 296
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - this.Width878 this.Height: 416
[6/12/2013 9:32:35 PM]: - Existing bufferedGraphics allocated

derekbackus
06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure what the significance of stopping the execution engine is. If I stop it, I can add the preview without the crash. However, attempting to configure it results in the unhandled exception error.

When you first add it, is it enabled? Does it crash when you enable it too or just when you try to edit it?

This is very frustrating... I really want it to work on your system.

MarkL
06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
When you first add it, is it enabled? Does it crash when you enable it too or just when you try to edit it?

When you say "is it enabled", I'm not sure what exactly you mean by enabled. Let me try better to explain what I've tried. Hopefully my terminology matches with yours, or is at least comprehensible.

When I start Vixen, the execution engine is running. If I try to add the new preview (and by add I mean clicking on "Configure Previews" from the main screen and then "Add New Preview" on the next) it will crash.

If I stop the execution engine, I can add the preview without it crashing.

Once I have it added, if I click on the checkbox (is that what you mean by it being enabled?) nothing happens.

Once it's added, if I click on "Configure Preview" from the Previews Configuration window, I get the unhandled exception error.

This is very frustrating... I really want it to work on your system.

I appreciate you taking the time to work with me. I just wish I wasn't the only one seeing this. It's starting to feel more and more like the problem is 100% on my end. FWIW, I did put Vixen3 and the new preview on an old WinXP computer and it came up fine. Unfortunately that computer is so old and slow (installation took the better part of 20 minutes) that I can't really use it for this.

dlovely
07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
When you say "is it enabled", I'm not sure what exactly you mean by enabled. Let me try better to explain what I've tried. Hopefully my terminology matches with yours, or is at least comprehensible.

When I start Vixen, the execution engine is running. If I try to add the new preview (and by add I mean clicking on "Configure Previews" from the main screen and then "Add New Preview" on the next) it will crash.

If I stop the execution engine, I can add the preview without it crashing.

Once I have it added, if I click on the checkbox (is that what you mean by it being enabled?) nothing happens.

Once it's added, if I click on "Configure Preview" from the Previews Configuration window, I get the unhandled exception error.

I appreciate you taking the time to work with me. I just wish I wasn't the only one seeing this. It's starting to feel more and more like the problem is 100% on my end. FWIW, I did put Vixen3 and the new preview on an old WinXP computer and it came up fine. Unfortunately that computer is so old and slow (installation took the better part of 20 minutes) that I can't really use it for this.

I am getting the exact same error, I started with version 3.0.6.16, then tried a few in between and lastly version 3.0.6 and none would let me add a preview. My process was "Configure Previews" then "Add New Preview" Select "Vixen Display Preview" and after hitting OK Vixen will crash within 5 seconds. The Debug log shows the following:

[7/16/2013 12:27:56 PM]: Preview:Resize
[7/16/2013 12:27:56 PM]: Preview:Resize

After reading this post I turned off the Execution Engine and can add the preview without a crash, but when I click "Configure Preview" now I get the following unhandled exception:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VixenModules.Preview.VixenPreview.VixenPreviewSetu p3.VixenPreviewSetup3_Resize(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnResize(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventAr gs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.ScaleContro l(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.Scale(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.PerformAutoS cale(Boolean includedBounds, Boolean excludedBounds)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.OnLayoutResu ming(Boolean performLayout)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ResumeLayout(Boolean performLayout)
at VixenModules.Preview.VixenPreview.VixenPreviewSetu p3.InitializeComponent()
at VixenModules.Preview.VixenPreview.VixenPreviewModu leInstance.Setup()
at VixenApplication.ConfigPreviews.buttonConfigureCon troller_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I noted that when I restart Vixen and leave the execution engine running, when I click the check box it instantly crashes Vixen.

Also I am guilty of not reading every post in this thread on things to try ect, Mostly just confirming that Mark is not the only one seeing this. This was a fresh install of Vixen3 with clean data directories each time.

Roterhead
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
I've seen this exact situation. I've had no luck getting vixen to show the preview screen...

sallz0r
07-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Hmm... that's interesting. Are you guys that are seeing the problem able to zip up your entire Vixen 3 data directory (in 'My Documents') and either post it here or make a bug in the bugtracker and attach it to that?

Hopefully we can reproduce it from that info. Unfortunately I don't think any developers have seen it yet, so can't quite figure out what's happening. :-(

Also, what versions are you using, and how have you installed them?

dlovely
07-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Hmm... that's interesting. Are you guys that are seeing the problem able to zip up your entire Vixen 3 data directory (in 'My Documents') and either post it here or make a bug in the bugtracker and attach it to that?

Hopefully we can reproduce it from that info. Unfortunately I don't think any developers have seen it yet, so can't quite figure out what's happening. :-(

Also, what versions are you using, and how have you installed them?

I started with version 3.0.6.16, then tried a few in between and lastly version 3.0.6. Each time I used the installing EXE after un-installing the old version and deleting the Vixen 3 directory.

I did not really find any information on exactly how to get started or what needs to be done first but my steps are pretty much as follows:

Configured 10 channels in "Configure Elements & Groups"
Configured an E1.31 Controller in "Configure Controllers" told it to use 10 channels, unicast to localhost (Tried multicast and other options all the same crash in preview)
Configured the patching in "Configure Filters & Patching" no filters used as I don't know what they do or how they work
Tried to configure a preview in "Configure Previews" and once the name dialog returns Vixen will crash a second or two later

As far as a bit of testing, I have three monitors on this laptop, disabled two and still have the same issue. Running Windows 7 with an NVIDIA GTX 660M currently running driver version 296.01 but in progress of updating to 320.49. I will report back after I update.

Attached is the Vixen 3 directory.

dlovely
07-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Running Windows 7 with an NVIDIA GTX 660M currently running driver version 296.01 but in progress of updating to 320.49. I will report back after I update.

Using the latest driver results in the same crash.

dlovely
07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
So I must be really unlucky, or the steps I posted I use are not the correct ones to be using. I just tested a fresh install of Vixen 3 on my MacBook Pro running a fresh install of Win7 in VMWare and get the same exact crash with version 3.0.6.18. Is there a document or post that details everything you need to do when first starting out with Vixen 3 to get the preview working?

dlovely
07-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Alright I am going to have to go find some more information on what these properties are in the elements and group configuration screen. I went and added a 'Location' property to every item (For some reason selecting all and adding a property ONLY adds it to the last item selected) and then went and added a preview and it showed a black screen looking like it is going to work now. Removing 'Location' from every element/group allows me to create a new preview without a crash, so it seems you need to add a 'Location' then everything will work. I cannot find any documentation on what these properties do and do I need to add all three to every item in the list? If so a functional select all would be great!

sallz0r
07-17-2013, 09:35 PM
I didn't get a chance to look into it last night, sorry -- but I'll try and reproduce it tonight to see what the cause is. (Unfortunately the autobuilds can often be not stable at all, since they're just triggered by code checkins -- so there's often many things that are broken during development until we make an 'official' release!)

dlovely
07-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I didn't get a chance to look into it last night, sorry -- but I'll try and reproduce it tonight to see what the cause is. (Unfortunately the autobuilds can often be not stable at all, since they're just triggered by code checkins -- so there's often many things that are broken during development until we make an 'official' release!)

All my testing also included build 3.0.6 for that very reason. I only went on to test the 3.0.6.X builds to see if it might have been fixed.

sallz0r
07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Gotcha. Hmm, that's a bit more worrying then. :-( Not to worry, we'll find what's happening. :-)

Just to confirm -- it's the same problem every time, throwing an exception with the following error? (as posted earlier in the thread):

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VixenModules.Preview.VixenPreview.VixenPreviewSetu p3.VixenPreviewSetup3_Resize(Object sender, EventArgs e)

dlovely
07-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Gotcha. Hmm, that's a bit more worrying then. :-( Not to worry, we'll find what's happening. :-)

Just to confirm -- it's the same problem every time, throwing an exception with the following error? (as posted earlier in the thread):

Not really, the issue I see most is two lines in the Debug log about preview:resize (see my earlier post) and then a hard crash(windows says it stopped responding), but when I disable the execution engine the problem changes and I get that exception.

sallz0r
07-17-2013, 11:35 PM
OK, gotcha. Thanks for that clarification.

dlovely
07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
While that fix of adding Location to the elements worked on my other computer, its not working on this one for versions 3.0.6 or 3.0.6.18. So something is strange.

sallz0r
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Hmm.... what .NET version do you have installed?

dlovely
07-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Hmm.... what .NET version do you have installed?

Looks like I have 2.0 SP2, 3.5 and 4 installed. I also have VS2k8 installed. From the crash report its using 4.0.

sallz0r
07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Hmm, this is driving me nuts! :-) Spent the last few hours looking at it, and am no closer. What OS are you using? (XP? 7? Vista?) I might try setting up a VM and seeing what happens on that...

Thanks,
Michael

dlovely
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Hmm, this is driving me nuts! :-) Spent the last few hours looking at it, and am no closer. What OS are you using? (XP? 7? Vista?) I might try setting up a VM and seeing what happens on that...

Thanks,
Michael

Grabbed a second identical laptop, this one never had any other .NET version than 4.0 and does not have VS installed and same issue.

Details are Win7 Home then upgraded to Win7 Pro. On the VM it was Win7 Pro from the start.

Can you post a Vixen Directory with everything configured so I can rule out the way I configure Vixen?

sallz0r
07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I can (and will in a tick), however it's almost definitely not a configuration issue. I'm suspecting it's a threading issue -- because the preview can be pretty UI intensive (all the elements are drawn by pixel-bashing using GDI), it's started off in it's own thread. There's lots of code there to try and be 'safe' with the threading, and it seems to work....... 99% of the time. It's those cases like you've outlined that it doesn't. :-)

The annoying thing is that we can't reproduce it at all, and you seem to have it consistently failing, which leads me to think it's something related to the environment, OS, .NET, etc., etc..... just not sure what. I see you mentioned in a previous post that you have VS -- are you a developer at all? If so, I don't suppose there's any chance you could grab a copy of the source, and build/run it on your machine to see if it hangs/crashes the same way, and if so, we could track down exactly what's happening on your machine and why it's different. If not, that's no worries. :-)

Just curious -- why do you have .NET 2.0 and 3.5 on a Win7 machine? I thought it came with .NET 4; did you manually install the others? ........ I might try that, and see if that affects anything.... (I've only got 4.0.30319 installed, apparently.)

Cheers,
Michael

dlovely
07-18-2013, 01:20 PM
I can (and will in a tick), however it's almost definitely not a configuration issue. I'm suspecting it's a threading issue -- because the preview can be pretty UI intensive (all the elements are drawn by pixel-bashing using GDI), it's started off in it's own thread. There's lots of code there to try and be 'safe' with the threading, and it seems to work....... 99% of the time. It's those cases like you've outlined that it doesn't. :-)

The annoying thing is that we can't reproduce it at all, and you seem to have it consistently failing, which leads me to think it's something related to the environment, OS, .NET, etc., etc..... just not sure what. I see you mentioned in a previous post that you have VS -- are you a developer at all? If so, I don't suppose there's any chance you could grab a copy of the source, and build/run it on your machine to see if it hangs/crashes the same way, and if so, we could track down exactly what's happening on your machine and why it's different. If not, that's no worries. :-)

Just curious -- why do you have .NET 2.0 and 3.5 on a Win7 machine? I thought it came with .NET 4; did you manually install the others? ........ I might try that, and see if that affects anything.... (I've only got 4.0.30319 installed, apparently.)

Cheers,
Michael

I can run it in VS from source and see if it provides any more information on the issue. I am a Program Manager for a software company, before you say it I was a developer but not in C# but have done a lot of Java so its not all that far off I would suspect. Yeah .NET 2/3.5 were installed for some legacy applications, that's why I wanted to test on an identical laptop without them ever installed.

Specs of the this machine are a i7-3610QM 2.3 Ghz (8 Core) with 8GB Ram, NVIDIA GTX 660M 2GB. I suspected at first it was an issue with multi-monitors (I have three attached) but rules that out already.

Send me a PM with the info to grab the source and I can at least try to provide a little bit more information.

sallz0r
07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that. I just PM'd you with another version to try and see if we can get some useful logging out of it to determine what's happening. (I doubt it, but worth a try).

You can find the source for the whole thing here, on github: https://github.com/sall/vixen

No worries if you don't have a chance to go through it; if you do though, any info would be appreciated.

I'm about to crash -- super late here, this bug's been frustrating me and keeping me up! -- but will keep going when I get home from work tomorrow.

Cheers,
Michael

PS. just to confirm, it's only when you have the execution engine on, or turn it on, correct? ie. if the EE is on, the software hangs *as soon as* you add a preview module instance, correct? Do you even see the preview window come up at all, or does it hang before that? What happens to the windows when they hang -- do they keep updating/redrawing, or do they stop updating? (eg. if you drag another window across them, does it give artefacts? or do they redraw properly?)

Similarly, when you have the EE off, you can add the preview, configure it fine, etc., etc..... but then it's only when you START the EE with the preview enabled, correct?

Thanks for the info and your patience!

dlovely
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks for that. I just PM'd you with another version to try and see if we can get some useful logging out of it to determine what's happening. (I doubt it, but worth a try).

You can find the source for the whole thing here, on github: https://github.com/sall/vixen

No worries if you don't have a chance to go through it; if you do though, any info would be appreciated.

I'm about to crash -- super late here, this bug's been frustrating me and keeping me up! -- but will keep going when I get home from work tomorrow.

Cheers,
Michael

PS. just to confirm, it's only when you have the execution engine on, or turn it on, correct? ie. if the EE is on, the software hangs *as soon as* you add a preview module instance, correct? Do you even see the preview window come up at all, or does it hang before that? What happens to the windows when they hang -- do they keep updating/redrawing, or do they stop updating? (eg. if you drag another window across them, does it give artefacts? or do they redraw properly?)

Similarly, when you have the EE off, you can add the preview, configure it fine, etc., etc..... but then it's only when you START the EE with the preview enabled, correct?

Thanks for the info and your patience!

You have a bit of it right, so I am just going to explain it all as to not cause confusion...

When EE is turned ON:
When I click Add New Preview a window pops up, I select Vixen Display Preview, then OK. No window pops up, the application goes gray and a windows dialog appears behind saying VixenApplication has stopped working. No exception dialog is displayed. In the Debug log file I find two lines that says Preview:Resize.

When EE is turned OFF:
I can add a new Preview, it shows up un-checked this time by default. Everything seems to be good, I can click OK and it saves. When I go back in and click Configure I get a dialog with the "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Exception.

Here is the funny thing, Once I add it with the EE turned off, I can restart the application with EE running and see the preview window is there but not enabled, as soon as I click to enable it, I get a stopped responding dialog. Now the application lockup is not instant, it seems to be delayed 2~5 seconds after enabling the preview, but nothing happens during that time...

sallz0r
07-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Yep, OK, perfect. That means it's roughly in line with what I'm thinking it could be (the general area), and with the output you sent me via PM.

Just to clarify -- the exception you get when trying to configure it with EE disabled is an unrelated issue, I believe. I haven't tested it myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's just because the preview setup is looking for some data that's not available when the EE is disabled.

With that debugging output you PM'd me I'll try a few different things tonight, and might make a few different versions to test to see if it helps at all. I'll get back to you later on. :-)

Thanks again for the debugging help, and I'm sorry it's such an.... awkward process! Unfortunately in cases like this (when we can't reproduce it locally) it's sometimes the only option.

Cheers,
Michael

Roterhead
07-19-2013, 12:01 AM
This probably has no bearing but am offering just in case. We also had application lockups that did not show until quad core machines started being used. We discovered all DotNet GUI updates are actually performed on a single thread. Consequently we had to ensure all GUI activity was marshaled to a single thread.

sallz0r
07-19-2013, 12:44 AM
This probably has no bearing but am offering just in case. We also had application lockups that did not show until quad core machines started being used. We discovered all DotNet GUI updates are actually performed on a single thread. Consequently we had to ensure all GUI activity was marshaled to a single thread.

Thanks for that -- yeah, it's a similar sort of thing. for the preview thread, we're actually explicitly starting a separate runqueue and doing all the UI on an independent thread, since it's not really interactive and is more of a read-only display so we can get away with that (and then it means it doesn't impact the performance of the sequencer when under heavy load).

So it's a similar issue -- the most annoying thing is that it works fine for most people (including all the developers, even outside the Visual Studio environment!), which makes it hard to track down what's going on! :-)

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Michael

sallz0r
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
OK, we took this off-thread, and Dave helped me test out a few versions to track down the problem -- much thanks to dlovely.

If anyone else is having the same problem, try testing one of the recent dev builds if you're comfortable testing bleeding-edge stuff:

http://www.vixenlights.com/builds/Vixen-3.0.6.22-Setup.exe
http://www.vixenlights.com/builds/Vixen-3.0.6.23-Setup.exe

Keep in mind they're development builds only, and things may change, and there's no guarantees about them. However, they're useful to test something like this preview quickly, etc. If you're having problems, please let me know (and post your log files, as there may be clues in there!)

Thanks!
Michael

MarkL
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Hallelujah! Build 25 appears to work for me!

Thanks for whatever you fixed. And thanks for others that provided more information that allowed this to be root caused. (I have to say I was selfishly glad when I started to see more folks having the same problem. I was starting to think it was something unique to my computer that I screwed up.)

Back to putting pixel strings together...

Mark

sallz0r
07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mark! :-) Yeah, it was a weird one -- it seems to affect only some particular machines or installations, but they reliably fail every time. The only possible thing I could come up with is that it might be a slightly different version of the .NET framework, or some patches applied/not applied, which caused the multi-threading behaviour to operate slightly differently on some machines (triggering the bug) and not other.

Still confuses me, but it's worked around for now, which is the key thing. :-)