PDA

View Full Version : Cat 6 vs Cat 5 cable

piesrule58
02-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Howdy

I have an opportunity to pick up some Cat 6 cable for free. My question is - with RJ45 plugs attached will it do the same job as Cat 5 cable? I want to use it to connect my SSROZ's to my Grinch boards.

Cheers, Terry

WWNF911
02-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Howdy

I have an opportunity to pick up some Cat 6 cable for free. My question is - with RJ45 plugs attached will it do the same job as Cat 5 cable? I want to use it to connect my SSROZ's to my Grinch boards.

Cheers, Terry

For what we're using it for, it should be ok.
Click here (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632&highlight=cat6+cable)

More Info Here (http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-cat6-v-cat5e.html)

mrpackethead
02-28-2008, 02:54 AM
The only issue you'll have is getting the rj45 connectors onto the cat6 cable.. particaully if its permanant install cable.. the extra tight twist in the cat6 jsut makes it a little harder.

Tech Christmas
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
The only issue you'll have is getting the rj45 connectors onto the cat6 cable.. particaully if its permanant install cable.. the extra tight twist in the cat6 jsut makes it a little harder.

huh? A standard 8P8C fits fine on cat 6... if he can get it free he should get all he can. And I'm confused what the permanence of the install has to do with it.

Terry get all you can.

Edit: ok if it is that googfy beldin stuff, that is a pain to work with but "standard" Cat 6 isn't that big a deal.

mrpackethead
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
The permanant install cable ( solid strand conductors) are a litttle thicker than the typical cat5/cat5e cable. Also the overal diameter of cat6 cable is slightly larger than cat5/cat5e. To the point that getting the cable into the jack is a little harder than using cat 5e cable. Its not impossible, but it is harder.

Tech Christmas
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I guess... maybe cuz I'm a big guy with big hands but I never noticed.