PDA

View Full Version : Colored Tubing for Wireframe lights?

Surovich
05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
So, I inherited some wireframes from my Dad that we used to use years ago in his display (and I just have to use them now, of course). They are cool, but they are old tech so Its normal mini lights and Dad did colored tubing around it (scarf, snow, hat, etc) - The tubing is old and faded and I would like to replace it .... Any ideas where to get any?????

Dan@
05-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Do you know what the tubing made of? Steel? Aluminum? If the pieces come off you and always have them powder coated what ever color you want. If they are aluminum then you can have them annodized back to the same color if they had previously been annodized. Some of it depends on what they are made of.

budude
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you know what the tubing made of? Steel? Aluminum? If the pieces come off you and always have them powder coated what ever color you want. If they are aluminum then you can have them annodized back to the same color if they had previously been annodized. Some of it depends on what they are made of.

I think he means the tubing over the lights, not the actual frame itself. I have a snowman like this where all the lights are white but there is clear/green/red plastic tubing tie-wrapped over the lights to make them colored.

You could use colored lights and perhaps some clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store unless you can locate the original stuff somewhere.

Skunberg
05-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Rope light might be a good option. Clear plastic tubing can be dyed to different colors if you want to go that way.

Brian

ErnieHorning
05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Pictures would certainly have help clear up what you were asking.

FrankAZ
05-08-2013, 10:57 PM
I am thinking this is colored tubing over the lights (I've seen similar before)

I know McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-and-rubber-tubing/=mo2f3v) sells some colored tubing, but, I would suggest rope lights, or consider mini light colored caps such as these - http://www.christmaslightshow.com/color-caps-for-mini-Christmas-lights.html

djulien
05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Would colored PVC wire loom work? something like this: http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/colorloom.php

(might be affordable if you don't need too much of it).

don

xfiredup
06-03-2013, 08:07 PM
I used clear rope lights and 2" wide strips of cellophane basket wrap, spiral wrapped overlapping by 1", to rebuild some of my older wire frames with the color covers. It is cheap, comes in several colors, and it seems to work well. It can be found at many of the craft and hobby stores. Also good old black plastic trash bags can be used to black out sections of the rope lights where you don't want them to show.

ukewarrior
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
This seem like a good and inexpensive method. Do you think this will work in the cold and snow?
Do you have pictures of these frames in action?

I used clear rope lights and 2" wide strips of cellophane basket wrap, spiral wrapped overlapping by 1", to rebuild some of my older wire frames with the color covers. It is cheap, comes in several colors, and it seems to work well. It can be found at many of the craft and hobby stores. Also good old black plastic trash bags can be used to black out sections of the rope lights where you don't want them to show.

xfiredup
06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I am not sure how the cellophane will respond in the snow, haven't seen the stuff in years. Also not sure how many years it will last, I had several ropes lights and other stuff that was thrown in when I bought 20 commercial grade wireframes off someone on craigslist and just used those. I also used some of the cellophane as colored jells for my led flood lights. Here is a pic of the Santa that sits on my roof that I reworked with the rope light and cellophane. 19430

ukewarrior
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Looks Great.
Does anyone have a source for this cellophane? Do the national hobby stores carry it? Michaels or Hobby Lobby?

I am not sure how the cellophane will respond in the snow, haven't seen the stuff in years. Also not sure how many years it will last, I had several ropes lights and other stuff that was thrown in when I bought 20 commercial grade wireframes off someone on craigslist and just used those. I also used some of the cellophane as colored jells for my led flood lights. Here is a pic of the Santa that sits on my roof that I reworked with the rope light and cellophane. 19430

ErnieHorning
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have a source for this cellophane?It's easier than you think.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?tv2=true&search_query=Cellophane+wrap+roll&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=2637

xfiredup
06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I got mine at Hobby Lobby.