PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Constructing Singing Pumpkins and Skull

nhl4life7
04-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have been doing a Christmas display for the last 2 years now and wanted to venture into some Halloween stuff. I am really interested in the singing animations. I have found these on HolidayCoro.com but I have noticed some people have done their own design also. For those of you that have done your own designs would you be willing to share any up close pictures of your designs or templates that you may have used to create your design. I am just trying to decide if I want to build my own (I already have some sheets of coro plastic) or just order them. Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks,
nhl4life7

mkozik1
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I built one using PVC for the frame and stretched chicken wire across it. I then zip tied the rope light to the chicken wire. I don't have any close up pics right now, but I will get some for you later today if it will help.

dlovely
04-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I made mine out of a PVC frame covered with chicken wire then rope light cable tied to the chicken wire. After building my own four frames I would recommend getting frames from Doug. Frames 6 and 7 on his site (http://www.wireframedlites.com/halloween.shtml) are copies of my frames. You can see my videos here (https://vimeo.com/album/2132786).

mkozik1
04-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Yup, that is what mine look like as well

Xenia
04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I did my own designs in coroplast. I will try to get you some info this evening.

nhl4life7
04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
dlovely That's a neat set up. Did you cut your rope lights to the size you wanted?

dlovely
04-14-2013, 09:12 PM
dlovely That's a neat set up. Did you cut your rope lights to the size you wanted?

I bought 2 300' spools of rope light from Menards on clearance. They were cuttable every 36" so every run is in 36" increments. You will notice the lower part of the eyes is folded so its doubled up since I wanted the eyes to be two channels (Each has a common bottom) and had extra to get rid of. There was a post on here years ago about cutting rope light so I just followed that, I used these cutters (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-edge-utility-cutter/p-00937309000P) to cut the rope light (I love them BTW!!! Use them on soo many things since its always a clean cut.) then I took two nails and pushed them in right next to the wire and let them sit for a bit. Then I took a cut lamp cord and tinned each end and then in one quick move pulled the nail and pushed in the tinned end. Sealed the connection with hot glue, then heat shrink filled with hot glue to the point it would push out the extra when heated to ensure a sealed connection. If you look at the picture in the center near the left eye and lower left are DirkCheapSSRs, so each frame has two CAT5 cables and a single power wire. I know some have used mini's or led strips, but I like the look of the incan rope light the best.

The reason I recommend going with frames is I have had to make lots of adjustments to the frames each year due to the chicken wire either sagging or moving on the frame. Seems in storage something happens to them each year and I have to fix them up a bit.