PDA

View Full Version : Slide bar requires restart

mkozik1
03-25-2013, 12:16 AM
I was working with the latest version trying to get things going for Halloween but am having issues with the slide bar locking up requiring me to restart the app to release. This is not a big sequence, few channels but is a real pain! Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

JHinkle
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
You most likely have a SelectBox active by mistake.

Click ESC - that will remove the selection allowing you to continue.

Joe

mkozik1
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
You most likely have a SelectBox active by mistake.

Click ESC - that will remove the selection allowing you to continue.

Joe

I have tried that several times and it is not something that only happens once. The grid freezes and will not allow me to move it. The little knobby thing that you would normal click and drag at the bottom moves but the grid/timeline stays put. I have tried several things before posting to TRY and rule out operator error!

JHinkle
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
There are HLS modes of operation where I will not let the sequence grid move - normally associated with outputing lights or Preview.

Make sure you are in an EDIT mode.

Send a screen shot so I can see what Operational Checks are active.

Most likely you are in a mode where I disable the Grid but you expect it to work. We need to identify that operation for you .

Joe

mkozik1
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah - No matter how much I tried, I still get the operator error trophy!! Can't have "Output Sequence" checked and move the grid! Just took me by surprise as the handle at the bottom moves but no the grid.

While I have you, is there a reason why nothing displays on the screen showing a sequence is running when "Output Sequence" is checked? When it is not, you get the red bars in the timeline, when it is, there is nothing identifying where you are should you need to make changes, or is this another of my goofs?

Thanks,

JHinkle
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Mark:

Not sure what you are asking.

The OutPut Sequence check says to look at your lights because that is where the activity is.

Nothing beyond that.

Joe

mkozik1
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Trying to see how you track where you are in the song while watching your lights? With Output unchecked, the red bars follow in the timeline but don't when Output is checked.

JHinkle
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Mark:

Here is why I disengage the Grid when performing output.

Some people use slow computers to do their development or shows.

If you have a lot of lights ... say 10s of Universes - each filled with 510 channels of data --- all expecting to be updated every 20 millisec AND stay in perfect sync with the music --- all of this using Windows, which is far from being a good operating system for performing real-time work --- THAT can be near 20 millisec on a slow Windows machine.

NOW -- you want to update the user's screen at the same time ... THAT really takes time and Windows has screen updates scheduled as low priority.

So --- if I allowed both --- I would get complaints that the screen didn't track the lights or the lights are out of sync with the music ... all because the little computer and operating system was not designed or capable of doing everything in real time.

So --- to keep all of those self-induced issues at bay --- since I can't control behavior for slow/old computers - I allow you to do one or the other - not both.

Hope that helps.

Joe

mkozik1
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Great explanation Joe and I appreciate that, I guess my request at this point, might be to give the operator the ability to switch that on and off so that those that have stronger machines can utilize the feature and those that don't turn it off. Not sure how hard that would be for you though!