PDA

View Full Version : plugs for the blow molds

milk86
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
I have some blow molds that require the metal clip and I also have some with a light socket that fits a 25 watt bulb. I was wondering how you guys or gals waterproof them. I am thinking turn on the roller switch and then heat shrink the switch to like waterproof them. or do you have solid wire.

If you have a source for solid wire plugs please let me know. My show this year has a song that will require blow molds.

Thanks

Milk

timpwk
03-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I usually take the switch off and then coat the "vampire" holes with liquid electric tape and then tape over for good measure. As far as plugs there are many vendors online for them, the question for you is what size wire you have to know which to buy. I save the plug ends from expired light strings and just use them with heat shrink connectors to connect to the blow mold wire, since they are fused I feel safer than the unfused plugs.

Strother85
03-23-2013, 08:28 PM
I am running a group buy right now for fused male plugs that would fit spt1/2 wire. This ends in 3 days if you are interested do a diyc search for fused male plug.

-Eric

milk86
03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
I usually take the switch off and then coat the "vampire" holes with liquid electric tape and then tape over for good measure. As far as plugs there are many vendors online for them, the question for you is what size wire you have to know which to buy. I save the plug ends from expired light strings and just use them with heat shrink connectors to connect to the blow mold wire, since they are fused I feel safer than the unfused plugs.

I am a total noob when it comes to talk like that. I have no idea what size wire. I was thinking of just buying the store bought switches I think they are fused already I think I am not a 100 % sure on that. But yes these I have plans for use on the Dirkssr item. Which are on the way.

ErnieHorning
03-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I just replace the entire cord with a cutoff extension cord. I’ve never understood the point of a fuse in a blowmold. Safe? How many lamps do you have throughout the inside of your house with a fuse?

You can buy a six foot extension cord for less than $2 with a molded plug on it. $1 at a dollar store.

DanoNJ
03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Heck, I just leave the switch on the line. have a few out there like that. May not be the 'correct' thing, but..

Strother85
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Heck, I just leave the switch on the line. have a few out there like that. May not be the 'correct' thing, but..

This is what I did as well. I plan to change my nativity blowmolds to some type of brighter light this year, have not decided what or how yet though.

milk86
03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the input everyone

beeiilll
03-25-2013, 07:46 AM
You might be over thinking the problem!
I have over 100 blowmolds that I put out in the display every year and have not weatherproofed any of them. I did replace the cords on them with the standard spt 1 zip cord on the ones with switches as I did not need the switches on them. I control mine through LOR controllers and have not had any trouble. In 4 years I think I have had maybe a dozen bulbs that have burned out but that is pretty much normal.
If your mention of the metal clip is that you need to find some then you can go to:

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=1&cid=27&scid=27

National Artcraft carries the lamp sockets with and without the clips for the bulbs. They also carry the lamp cords up to 6 feet long if you want to keep the original look of the blow mold and yet have a longer cord on it.
I used to have a source for just the clips but they have been out for several months now and it appears that they may not restock the clips again.

milk86
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Bill

Thanks for the info!!

beeiilll
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Your very welcome, glad I could help. Holler if you need any other parts or things answered as I have quite a few links for things as well. I have done repainting on blow olds and have modified some for extra lights in them too.

I am looking at changing some over to pixels or at least to LEDs with multiple channels for things like choir people that can have a light in the head as well as the body and possibly the mouth. They can be fun to experiment with for added display elements.

ErnieHorning
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I've ordered those light clips from National Artcraft and they're better then original quality. It sounds like they’re a very small company but they have a lot of cool things. I got my shipment 3 days after I ordered.