PDA

View Full Version : Remote Computer Operation

rlilly
02-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I'd like to operate the computer controlling my display remotely over my wireless network from the computer in my office. This would be like that software you IT guys use to remotely take control of a computer you configure for someone. What can anyone recommend?

aERonAUtical96
02-16-2008, 08:47 AM
The simplest: Windows 2000 and XP have Remote Desktop (terminal services in 2000) capabilities. All you have to do it enable it, establish the appropriate account privs, disable any firewall (hardware or software) for the RD port.

There are 3rd party tools. The last one I played with was PCAnywhere, but it's been 5 years since I've used that product so I have no idea what it's current state is. VNC used to be freeware. I just looked it up and I guess the name is now RealVNC and it looks like a product for sale (didn't check price).

You have to remember, if you are using residential cable modem or dsl service, the providers will change your ip from time to time to prevent things like this. However, there are ways around this. I use a service called Dynamic DNS (free) that I enter a shortname (human readable URL) instead of trying to remember an IP address. I manually update my IP (once a week every Sunday morning). There are other websites with similar services and applications that will do the update automatically for you when your IP address changes. Even some routers, Linksys for example, will do it for you. I have a deadLink (DLink) and I could never get that to work properly.

Wayne J
02-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I use 'log me in' as do a few other board members. Works great and is free.
logmein.com (http://logmein.com)

:)

Macrosill
02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I use Logmein also and it works well.

As for Remote desktop in Windows XP you need to know that all versions of XP have the client services but only XP Pro has the server application. A machine running XP Home can not have another machine remote desktop into it.

aERonAUtical96
02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Hmmm didn't know that XP home doesn't have remote desktop. Any computer I get, I usually reload with XP Pro or Linux. Learn something new everyday.

pixeldigger
02-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I use RealVNC.
Its Free.

You can use a separate port for each computer on the network. and check them all!
(LOR Computer, Vixen Computer, and this year: the countdown clock computer)
:-)

rlilly
02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Great! I few things to try. ;)

I'm running XP pro on both machines in question, so Remote terminal should be available (I'm outta town this weekend).

I downloaded LogMeIn on this laptop, and it looks like it's free for a while but then they want you to subscribe. I didn't spend much time there to figure out the details. The idea looks pretty cool though. You could work on your home computer while sitting in an airport.

I used PCAnywhere over ten years ago and I thought there'd be new stuff out there.

rlilly
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I use RealVNC.
Its Free.

You can use a separate port for each computer on the network. and check them all!
(LOR Computer, Vixen Computer, and this year: the countdown clock computer)
:-)
What's the site?

Macrosill
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM

I downloaded LogMeIn on this laptop, and it looks like it's free for a while but then they want you to subscribe. ......

There are multiple versions of LogMeIn available. The 2 main ones to consider for our display needs are the Free and Pro versions. The Free version is just that, free. The Pro version is expensive, if you ask me, for any use other than business. The differences is basically the Pro version allows you to share files from pc to pc and remote printing, those are the main ones. A way around this is to email yourself the file and then d/l it on the other machine. I use the Free version on all my computers. Its not the only solution out there but it is one I like, use and have experience with. The only draw back I have found is LogMeIn does not support a lot of Pocket PC's and thus I have to use a vpn solution for that but otherwise LogMeIn Free is number one in my book.

You may have to sign up for the Pro version trial and then go to the Free version when the trial period expires. Each additional pc can go right to the Free version.

jderba
02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
What's the site?

I use remote desktop to get into my show remotely, but I've used VNC at work and it should work fine for what your looking for.

http://www.realvnc.com

Jack

Slick1983
02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Log Me In. It's $50/yr. I believe. It really comes in handy if you travel much at all. Also, you can put files too big to email on there for someone to download.

Wayne J
02-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Log Me In. It's $50/yr. I believe. It really comes in handy if you travel much at all. Also, you can put files too big to email on there for someone to download.

I have been using the Free version for a year now on 3 PCs. Does all I need it to do.

rlilly
02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I finally got LogMeIn on two machines. It is quite awesome!

I've been at SMU the last couple of weekends helping a buddy with his invention test set up and I needed to look at a file on my computer at home.

LogMeIn did the trick!

I plan to look at RealVNC as well but this weekend activity is starting to cut well into my DIYC time as is :(

ctmal
03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
If you're running xp pro on both you have everything you need. From the computer you want to remote from just open up Remote Desktop Connection and type in the computer name or ip address of the computer you want to remote to. If you have any problems, pm me, I can walk you through it.

ben
03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I installed log me in on my "DIYC" computer upstairs and I love it! I was able to do some work on it while I was downstairs in the nice office with a ncie chair and nice TV ;)

Ben

Michael Sullivan
03-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi all,

I found some software at http://www.teamviewer.com that is by far the best and most simple to set up and it's free.

Enjoy!

Michael

Macrosill
03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Michael,
Nice find. That looks pretty good. It offers more functionality in the free version than LogMeIn does. I have d/l'ed it on one machine and plan to do it on another later on today to see how well it works.

Tech Christmas
03-15-2008, 12:45 AM
interesting... but you need client software... to me one of the best parts of LMI is that it's web based. -- Also I'm not sure form the quick demo I watch how you could ever control an unattended computer. Interesting, but for my needs LMI is a better product.

MikelMD
12-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Guys,

Thought I would add my 2 cents. My role has me selling security software for mobile device, and three years ago I discovered this app. I use splashtop for controlling my windows 7 vixen PC from my iPad and iPhone. I also use this app to connect to my Macs. The app is free, each machine you want to control needs to d/l a client and I use my google account as the Login.