PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Plane - HLS 13A... Unable to Save Type

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I was trying to play with the PixelPlane feature.. and followed the tutorials, but Either I am doing something wrong, or there is an issue.. I am unable to assign the type of PixelPlane in order to work on it.

I have One Pixel Plane configured in testing with four pixel strips of 150 pixels each strip. I want these in a vertical matrix four strips wide. So I used the wizard to create the pixel plane. It created the related virtual channel as expected. I added this channel to a Display group to work on it... In the editor when I create the selection then click 'Add HLS Custom PixelPlane Effect' it gives me the error "No Type has Been Assigned to this PixelPlane"

I go through the steps to modify the pixel plane to reassign the types and still get the same results...

Am I doing something completely wrong or is there an issue?

JHinkle
03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
In your picture #3 - why are you selecting all of the channels?

You only select one --- its the PixelPlane - not the channels associated with it.

Joe

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
In your picture #3 - why are you selecting all of the channels?

You only select one --- its the PixelPlane - not the channels associated with it.

Joe

I didn't thats what showed up when I clicked on Manage Pixel Plane.. and then the button Create/Modify....

Update: Ok...
Under Manage PixelPlane: when I click 'ASsign Type of PixelPlane' and i click "MegaTree" I get an assignment window. But any other option on that screen gives me nothing.. No feedback or anything.. Just sits there.

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Looks like every option other than MegaTree is unavailable.. is this by design?

jlowe
03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
You should get a confirmation window for Vertical Matrix. No options to configure, so it will just be a dialog box that you click ok to. Other PP types are not yet implemented.

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
You should get a confirmation window for Vertical Matrix. No options to configure, so it will just be a dialog box that you click ok to. Other PP types are not yet implemented.

Nope... No confirmation.. I tried...

jlowe
03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Are you creating a new pixel plane and assigning type or are you reassigning the type to the same channels? Make sure you are creating a new pp and channels to rule out anything funky with your pre-existing setup.

angus40
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Are you creating a new pixel plane and assigning type or are you reassigning the type to the same channels? Make sure you are creating a new pp and channels to rule out anything funky with your pre-existing setup.

this dialog box may be hiding on the desktop under hls .

JHinkle
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I didn't thats what showed up when I clicked on Manage Pixel Plane.. and then the button Create/Modify....

Update: Ok...
Under Manage PixelPlane: when I click 'ASsign Type of PixelPlane' and i click "MegaTree" I get an assignment window. But any other option on that screen gives me nothing.. No feedback or anything.. Just sits there.

If you use the Wizard - there is no need to go into the assignment process.

THAT is for people that defined/create channels --> THEN decide to use them in a PixelPlane.

Tree, and Vertical Matrix are the two currently support.

The rest in the future.

Joe

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
If you use the Wizard - there is no need to go into the assignment process.

THAT is for people that defined/create channels --> THEN decide to use them in a PixelPlane.

Tree, and Vertical Matrix are the two currently support.

The rest in the future.

Joe

So I used the wizard to create the pixel plane. It created the related virtual channel as expected. I added this channel to a Display group to work on it... In the editor when I create the selection then click 'Add HLS Custom PixelPlane Effect' it gives me the error "No Type has Been Assigned to this PixelPlane"

Tried that.. as you can see from the first message.. ;)

and for giggles.. Just tried it again...
Here are my steps:

1. Start Program
2. Load Audio (WAV File)
3. Manage Channels -> Manage PixelPlane Channels -> New Channel
4. Clicked on Vertical Matrix Radio Button
5. Clicked Create PixelPlane AND Channels
Number of Strings: 4
Number of Pixels per String: 150
Name of PixelPlane: VerticalMatrix
6. Clicked Manage Channels -> Select Channels and Assign to Display Group
Selected the VerticalMatrix pseudo channel and gave a name of 'Vertical Matrix' to the display group
7. Clicked on Manage Channels -> Select Display Group to Work On
Selected the 'Vertical Matrix' Display group (only one available)
8. Made a selection box in a random place on the timeline
9. Right-clicked on this box and selected -> Add HLS Custom PixelPlane Effect
10. Get the Error: No Type has Been Assigned to this PixelPlane

jlowe
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
I believe your step 4 and 5 are reversed.

It doesn't matter what the radio button is on when you first create the PixelPlane channels.

AFTER you create the channels, (ie, define strands and pixel length) THEN select the vertical matrix radio option and click "assign PixelPlane type".

I believe that's what's going on. I'm on my phone and can't double-check with a PC, so someone correct me if I'm not correct.

habbosrus
03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Josh that is correct. I had the same issue in my first sequence and couldn't work out where I was going wrong. Reverse steps 4 & 5 and away you go.

jlowe
03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Josh that is correct. I had the same issue in my first sequence and couldn't work out where I was going wrong. Reverse steps 4 & 5 and away you go.

Cool, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure. Hopefully OP will post back to confirm this was the issue. I'll add some clarifying info in the wiki later tonight.

Edit: Changes made to wiki to clarify steps. Also used Joe's attached image with the arrow to further explain.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_PixelPlane

gizmohd
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Yes..that was the issue... I am a software developer by trade.. and the workflow that seemed appropriate was the one I followed... The extra step was not very intuitive from a users perspective.. But now that I know it's there and that is the way I need to go forward I will use that strategy....

JHinkle
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
After Step 5 ... a NEW button will appear --- see below.

You need to select Vertical Matrix and Click the assign button.

The button does not appear until a PP is created.

You can go back into Manage PP and assign it now.

Cheers.

Joe