PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up 0.2 watt transmitter?

Penfold
02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
This is my idea for hooking it all up together. Is this correct?

The R and L would come from an RCA cable hooked up to my computer audio port (I don't know how I would distinguish the R from the L), the GND on the audio plug in will remain open, a twelve volt connection and ground from my computer's power supply will be soldered to the board for power, and I believe that I would have to use a BNC connector for the antenna connection. Is the ground of the BNC connector on the bottom or on the side of the actual connector?

Am I sort of right here?

tommy
02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Penfold...

On my computer, the audio line out connector is a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack. I have a cable with mating plug that I take to the transmitter, using the "tip" of the plug for the right and the "ring" as left. The shield is common for both chanels and goes to the ground on the transmitter.

If you use a BNC connector for your antenna, you probably should use a 50-ohm one since most transmitter outputs are designed for 50-ohm. Of course, that also means that you should use 50-ohm coax from the transmitter to the antenna. The center pin of the BNC is the actual output with the ground being the mounting flange. Check out www.allelectronics.com. They have some BNC connectors for mounting onto printed circuit boards as well as the mating connectors for your cable.

Hope this helps.

Tommy

dmcole
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
If you use a BNC connector for your antenna, you probably should use a 50-ohm one since most transmitter outputs are designed for 50-ohm. Of course, that also means that you should use 50-ohm coax from the transmitter to the antenna. The center pin of the BNC is the actual output with the ground being the mounting flange. Check out www.allelectronics.com. They have some BNC connectors for mounting onto printed circuit boards as well as the mating connectors for your cable.

These are also available at Radio Shack, with the normal caveat that though they are easily obtained, they are grossly overpriced.

\dmc