PDA

View Full Version : Two shows, one PC?

Vadoo
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I saw this wreath http://www.ritzfam.com/xmus/index.html and for some reason it made me wonder if you could run a dispaly and something like this, on a door or where ever, all from the same computer. (two different songs/sequences at once) I'm sure you would have to run one controller (Grinch/595) from the LPT and one from serial (REN-C to Grinch/595). Can two instances of Vixen be used at the same time?

DavidHenry
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
If you can run 2 copies of Vixen (I just tried and it worked, each playing a different sequence. Neither sequence had audio, and I have no hardware attached to verify at the moment) you could still do both with serial if you have more than one port. I think the bigger challenge would be installing 2 sound cards in the system...

alwysrit2
02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Vixen does have teh capability to run 2 sound cards from 1 instance of the software, but I wasn't able to make it work last year. I believe my issue was on the windows side. I don't believe I was able to use both sound cards from the OS. The other option is to setup 1 channel for one show and 1 channel for another, just make sure the routines are the same length
-Don

D_E_H0987
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I saw this as I was looking around, anyway I have a couple of ideas on how you mite be able to have two sound cards or rather two sound devices. I've seen these usb sound cards and I also believe there are usb speakers that don't even use a sound card (not to be confused with usb powered speakers) anyway I have worked on pcs with two sound cards but these were older ones with high end cards such as gravis ultra sound and turtle beach on an isa buss with jumpers in dos, windows 3.1/95/98/me. You can setup differant devices in the devices tab, of the sounds and multimedia section, in the control panel, So you can have two sound devices and have one be on the reg device and use another one seperately. If you have an older box with isa slots; that is if you can find them; the gravis and turtle beach cards are pretty cheap these days.

And if moneys no object; there are multi-channel sound cards for displays and theatrical productions; but they are real expensive.

I'd have to fire up and old dos/win 3.1 box to rember how to do it on win 3.1 on an even older system, I do remember in dos you had one card in the config.sys and autoexec.bat with "set sound" "set blaster", etc, then the other card you just ran with its own software.

Now I'm not sure if you can even do this in the newer versions of windows xp and vista with out special hardware and drivers.

On NT/2k; as far as I remember; you had to have special drivers.

It would be pretty kewl to do a pare of anamatronic characters and have them talking back and forth to each other.

BuzzKill
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Can you run the instances of Vixen in Virtual Machines? If you had one uber-boxen that could handle several instances of an OS and each running its own vixen. And does it matter if you are running the audio through a single card? You are most likely only running everything through a single set of speakers anyway.. so let Vixen all play through the same hardware, and just mix them together? As long as you have a enough serial ports for each to share off the main machine you should be good to go? You just make sure your show timing is coordinated between the different instances so the audio from one is not stepping on the others. The other option would be to have a stack of mini-ITX machines, each dedicated to a single version of Vixen and then the audio mixed with an external mixer or run to dedicated speakers.