PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has questions - MR16

WWNF911
02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Sorry for the re-direct but it seem like this thread has become buried.

Please see post from 2/10/08 at 12:41 AM

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20927#post20927

Thanks

Leon

Macrosill
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out what my set-up will be and am trying to see what I need to add 6 MR-16 LED Light canon displays:

Currently have in the works:
2 Ren 64's
1 Ren-T
32 SSRoz
and 4 Ren16

I was thinking about running the LEDs' with 1 of the Ren16's but so far I've only seen the Lynx used to Dim (and nicely I might add) Was wondering would I need a Ren-C and Ren-T or will the lynx work independent?

***UPDATE*** 2/10/08
I think I anwered my own question today. Looks like the Lynx dims all on it's own. Now, the question is can I do it with the Ren 16 or should I try to get a Lynx. Any recommendations? Thruth is,.. to do what I want to do with the MR16's I'll need 30 channels. Sound like I can supply them with AC or a DC power supply. If I have to I might try to do it with an AC supply (12 VAC landscape style supply) like Omzig is planning but it depends on orice. Looks like the Lynx has only 16 onboard channels and works DMX where as my current plans were to run everything with 1 or possibly 2 serial ports. Question,.. Can I run both and if so Should I find 2 or more supply's to run my MR16 project? Not really sure yet what kind of a combined load this will be. The MR16's are the type that is offered on the PC coop right now.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Leon

Leon,
The Renard will dim the MR16 led floods fairly well with the right triacs on the ssrs.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "If I have to I might try to do it with an AC supply (12 VAC landscape style supply) like Omzig is planning but it depends on orice" What is orice?

The Renards use a 5v supply usually from the pc. The MR16s use a 12v supply sepearat from anything else.

HTH

WWNF911
02-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks Brian,
Meant to say price but my big fat fingers wouldn't let me.

Omzig has a thread and I PM'd him about it. He said he has a 12AC landscape supply he'll be using.
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2550&highlight=MR16

I also noticed that you used a 24 VAC landscape supply. Any info on where you found it? And will the PC coop buy LEDS be able to use both this voltage or are they the 12 V like I thought?

I did find some help from posts earlier that you and Phil had made as well.
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2430&highlight=MR16

Thanks again
Leon

Macrosill
02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I also noticed that you used a 24 VAC landscape supply. Any info on where you found it? And will the PC coop buy LEDS be able to use both this voltage or are they the 12 V like I thought?...

I used a 12v Landscape lighting transformer from Home Depot.

WWNF911
03-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Leon,
The Renard will dim the MR16 led floods fairly well with the right triacs on the ssrs.

Any info on details?

Additionally, I have some superbright LEDS I'd like to use in the Mega tree as strobes. Will the Ren16 work in this application as well and if so probably need the same triac changes huh?

P. Short
03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
When you say 'superbright LEDs' are you talking about MR16 lights, LED light-strings, or something conjured up out of individual 10mm or 5mm LEDs?

--

Phil

Macrosill
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I have some testing data I did on another pc. I can get to it toomorrow. I do not have part numbers though.

WWNF911
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
When you say 'superbright LEDs' are you talking about MR16 lights, LED light-strings, or something conjured up out of individual 10mm or 5mm LEDs?

--

Phil

Well,... Unfortunately conjured up would best describe it. (and yes they are 10mm)That is the plan at this point. And it's a plan in its infantsy unfortunately. In order to create the strobe effect in this way I need to program a random pattern in vixen and I can't do that with a string so it will have to be several (somewhere on the order of approx. 30) dedicated channels with one LED each. Thats why I was gonna try to see if I could dedicate 2 Ren 16s for this portion. Just not sure if this will work.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

PS - I have other Ren16s I was planning on using to color wash the house with the MR16 Floods. Not sure if that will work without some triac changes as well. Please see Brians earlier reply. So,... technically I guess the answer to Phil's question is yes. (with the exception of LED light strings)

Leon

WWNF911
03-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey brian, I did find several landscape 12 volt AC supplys on clearance over the weekend. Got my hopes all up but then read the back. "Not for use with dimmers" bummer.

P. Short
03-06-2008, 01:54 PM
If you are using individual 10mm LEDS (like mouser p/n 604-WP813SRC/C), you need to feed them with DC, not AC. A Renard16 board assembled from the standard BOM is not suitable for this use.

If you just want to have the lights twinkle on and off (no dimming), I think that your best bet is either a 595 board or a Grinch.

--

Phil

WWNF911
03-07-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the bad news Phil. Another Idea scrapped. :lol:

Seriously, Thanks I do have a grinch I can dedicate for this. (Yes, I do just want these to twinkle only) Good thing I bought it. Funny thing I was just itching to build something. Wasn't even gonna use it.

Guess that means that I'll have to scrap the other idea as well. I was gonna run DC to the MR16 floods as well because someone told me that that would improve the dimming response. As you can see above I did find an AC supply I was considering but it said right on it "not for dimming"

Oh well, back to the hunt. Thanks Phil.

Leon

Macrosill
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Leon,
As for the "Not for dimming" statement I think that means you can not dim the transformer with a standard wall switch dimmer. What you do with the output should have no effect so you should be good to go with the clearance transformer.

I am not sure what the max current the Grinch can handle running right off the board with no ssrs. The 595 might have a higher current rating as it uses the uln2803 chips and can run multiple voltages from 2 separate sources at the same time.

WWNF911
03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Leon,
As for the "Not for dimming" statement I think that means you can not dim the transformer with a standard wall switch dimmer. What you do with the output should have no effect so you should be good to go with the clearance transformer.

I am not sure what the max current the Grinch can handle running right off the board with no ssrs. The 595 might have a higher current rating as it uses the uln2803 chips and can run multiple voltages from 2 separate sources at the same time.

Thanks for the news about the transformer. About the grinch I was gonna use DCSSRs. Never crossed mymind to try without. :)

deplanche
03-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Leon,

So Leon, are you willing to share where you can get these transformers from? More importantly, what price are you talking about and if cheap enough, can you get me one?

WWNF911
03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
So Leon, are you willing to share where you can get these transformers from? More importantly, what price are you talking about and if cheap enough, can you get me one?

I haven't been there since last weekend so I'm not even sure if there are any left. That being said these are on clearance at one of the local Walmarts for $10.00

Santacarl
03-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, now I'm more confused than ever....:cry:

Can someone help me understand what I would need to use MR16's that will dim/fade? I'm building Ren24 boards for my other 'stuff'....can I use them to dim the MR16's? If so, how?:confused:

Thanks..

SC

WWNF911
03-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Well, now I'm more confused than ever....:cry:

Can someone help me understand what I would need to use MR16's that will dim/fade? I'm building Ren24 boards for my other 'stuff'....can I use them to dim the MR16's? If so, how?:confused:

Thanks..

SC

SC don't let this thread confuse you. All you need is a controller that is capable of dimming. For my MR-16's I'll be using the Ren16 design by Xmus. I'm not familiar with the Ren 24 although my first guess is it'll do just fine. To be sure I would check with the guys that are involved with your Ren 24 coop.

UPDATE: I noticed this response to you on another thread. What does it mean? You're good to go.

The Ren24 already includes the zero-crossing circuit, so you don't need to do anything extra for this.

Macrosill
03-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I would not recommend a ren-24 for dimming the mr16's. The reason is 2 fold. 1st I am not sure you can run the relays on the ren-24 at a different voltage than 110vac. The second is if you can run them on other than 110vac then you would need to allocate an entire bank of channels to mr16's in multiples of 12s. So if you need 13 mr16 channels then you would have to feed all 24 channels at 12vac or dc. A renard 8 or 64 would be the way to go imo as you can run different voltages on the remote ssrs in multiples of 4 channels easily or even single channels with some modifications to the wiring.

To clear up any confusion this is how I set up my mr16s last year. I used a ren-64. Then I powered the 4 channel ssrs with 12vac instead of 110vac. Instead of plugging the ssr into a 110v extension cord I wired it to a 12v landscape lighting transformer. Thats it, no other wiring or modifications needed. Now I used the standard ssr we build with zero modifications. The dimming was not as smooth as I would have liked but that can be remedied with different triacs.

So in the end you can dim a mr16 with a single mod, feed the ssr with 12vac instead of 110av!

omzig
03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I would not recommend a ren-24 for dimming the mr16's. The reason is 2 fold. 1st I am not sure you can run the relays on the ren-24 at a different voltage than 110vac. The second is if you can run them on other than 110vac then you would need to allocate an entire bank of channels to mr16's in multiples of 12s. So if you need 13 mr16 channels then you would have to feed all 24 channels at 12vac or dc. A renard 8 or 64 would be the way to go imo as you can run different voltages on the remote ssrs in multiples of 4 channels easily or even single channels with some modifications to the wiring.I have not received my Ren24 boards yet, but from what I can tell from the board layout that is in the wiki, the line power can be separated from the relays using the jumper that is to the left of the power input terminals. I asked for verification of this in this thread (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2800), but it has yet to receive an answer. As for having to use multiples of 12 channels, that works for my plan this year because I plan on using 22 channels of these floods. I was hoping to keep things simple this year by not having to build a bunch of different boards, but I'll do what I have to do. I think that Ren24's are a good fit for the rest of my display.

The dimming was not as smooth as I would have liked but that can be remedied with different triacs.Would that be with a lower holding current?

Macrosill
03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I am not sure of the specifics on the triacs as I tested some Phil sent me. He told me they were more sensitive. Other than that I can not intelligently reply.