PDA

View Full Version : Spam bot problem, suggestion

timon
01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
This may have already been done but might I suggest the following.

1) Multiple Question and Answers during sign up including using word type math questions such as."You have two kids and six apples. Each kid eats one apple how many apples are left? Answer, 4." I'd have at least 5 questions.

2) Require moderation for at least the first 10 posts.

This from one vbulliten moderator to another.

John

macebobo
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
How about a real capthca? Once the spammers know our "secret" question's answer is Christmas, it really isn't effective.

kingofkya
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah quite a few bots can get around that via brute force guessing and saveing results to a dictionary.

The best way to deal with spam bots like this is make your own security/captcha then you difrent from the others so your left alone, as your too small to care about. Or pick the least popular captcha plugin that works as well most of the time.

macebobo
01-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Recaptcha does not suffer from many of the issues.

dirknerkle
01-29-2013, 01:29 PM
This may have already been done but might I suggest the following.

1) Multiple Question and Answers during sign up including using word type math questions such as."You have two kids and six apples. Each kid eats one apple how many apples are left? Answer, 4." I'd have at least 5 questions.

2) Require moderation for at least the first 10 posts.

This from one vbulliten moderator to another.

John

Yes, all of the validation questions at diychristmas.org are like that, some are harder than others... if you're unlucky enough to get the really tough one, you'll have to know calculus...

budude
01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
if you're unlucky enough to get the really tough one, you'll have to know calculus...

Hmm - - was he an AutoBot or a Deceptacon?

LabRat
01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Good one!

Hmm - - was he an AutoBot or a Deceptacon?

Materdaddy
01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Recaptcha does not suffer from many of the issues.

AND it's for a good cause:
http://www.ted.com/talks/luis_von_ahn_massive_scale_online_collaboration.ht ml

raplass
02-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Boy this Vietnamese spammer is persistent, hit again tonight... Wonder if he realizes he is spamming it the wrong language?

szaske
02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Can you enable people as moderators to cancel ALL of the posts by a single person? I'd be happy to act as a mod...These SPAM posts are starting to bug me. I'm hoping there's a way to delete all posts from one account.

I've been sending reports, is it any help or would you prefer we don't send it? I want to make sure I'm helpful. -=Steve

timon
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I moderate other VBulliten boards and the problem with that is you don't know who the spammer is until they spam and I've never seen a way to allow a moderator to only work on new members or members that have only been on the forum for a given amount if time. Thinking about it however it might be a nice feature.

michaelc
02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Make the questions DIY relevant. Add answers that wouldn't make sense to non-diyers.
1) You have 32 strings of pixels. Which single board can drive them:
a) Ren SS32
b) Ren32LSD
c) E681
d) 1 DCSSR

2) What IC chip is used in all the Renard Boards: (answers can be choices of crazy components and the PIC that we all use)

dirknerkle
02-15-2013, 10:49 AM
The questions need to be a little more generic, for a person who wants to join DIYC is likely a newbie and hasn't a clue what an E681 is or a DCSSR, or a j1SYS, etc. But they could be math related or general knowledge, or trick questions such as...

There are 5 apples on a table and you take 3 of them. How many apples do you have then?

Of course, the answer is 3 because you left 2 of them on the table...

michaelc
02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
very true dirk. Forgot about the target audience.

On a similar note, I have some spamming happening on a couple Craigslist items I'm trying to sell. It's all this crazy 'you sound nice', 'let's meet' kind of crap. One looked legit but then turned out to be spam. My approach with them was to respond that I"ve forwarded their IP addresses and names to the FBI for followup since they were engaging in inter-state mail and commerce fraud. :-)

Macrosill
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Can you enable people as moderators to cancel ALL of the posts by a single person? I'd be happy to act as a mod...These SPAM posts are starting to bug me. I'm hoping there's a way to delete all posts from one account.

I've been sending reports, is it any help or would you prefer we don't send it? I want to make sure I'm helpful. -=Steve
Send the reports. I can delete all the post from a spammer in a single click.

I will be doing some vB updates the 1st week of March and then I will be installin Spam-O-Matic, as well as some other tweaks.

dirknerkle
02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
...I will be installin Spam-O-Matic, as well as some other tweaks.

Spam-O-Matic? Is that like a Veg-O-Matic? :lol:

(where's Ron Popiel when you really need him?!?!?)

Macrosill
02-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I am also considering adding a few mods to aprove new members posts like suggested. If you are interested send me a PM.

PinakBERT
03-06-2013, 12:56 AM
I am on a gamer forum where they have a waiting period/probation before becoming a full member to post in regular forum. Then can only post in the intro forum or general area, where they will not disrupt too much. and watch their postings.

remoteutah
03-06-2013, 11:38 AM
If you have one person doing the spam constantly, you can block their IP address/range on the server level. Have blocked IPs go to a custom error page that says "you may have been blocked in error", please contact admin to verify access... or something to that effect. I guess they may then spam the admin inbox...

Zeph
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
On some Drupal sites, a honeypot based spambot detector has worked well for me. I don't know if there is such a module for vb.

(The honeypot approach includes things like additional visually hidden fields in the signup form, which only the robots fill out; instead of trying to make it hard for them to do something a human will, you make it easy for them to do something a human won't. Or you time their responses, if they respond inhumanly fast, reject them. Obvioiusly not hard to defeat if you have been seriously targeted, but seems to keep out most of the 'rattle enough doorknobs and you will get in some' campaign spambots, which seem to be the majority on our sites).

kingofkya
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I am also considering adding a few mods to aprove new members posts like suggested. If you are interested send me a PM.

I like this idea, It would prevent then even getting a temporary link, Also no links till say 10 posts or so might be good.
I am will to help out if needed, I am on here most of the time anyways.

Macrosill
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Spam-O-Matic installed this morning. Lets see how it does.

beeiilll
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Excellent Brian. Lets hope that it shuts down some of those stupid things. Man they are such a PITA!

bigredsoftware
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Spam-O-Matic installed this morning. Lets see how it does.

I have to say so far so good. :) Thanks!