PDA

View Full Version : 3840 Pixel Matrix information

thebaronn
01-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

Here are some pictures, you do not have to be logged in to view them:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.513802198651185.121228.323555271009213&type=3

1. Sandwich 5 4'X8' pieces of Corrugated Plastic with a sheet of 4'X8' 1" pegboard on top.
2. Place the pegboard in such a way that all 48 holes can be drilled into the Coro with the last hole as close to the bottom as possible
(To leave room at the top to attach it to the house)
3. Drill holes all the way through every other hole (2" spacing) Use a high quality drillbit that is sharp so yu don't have to clean the holes. Drill a 48X16 Grid
Now, I chose this number because I could use 16 pixel strings from Ray Wu with 48 pixels in each string with a power supply at the E682 bard (no power injected
down the line) and it was easy to create the matix in LightShowPro.
4. Then, cut the grid from the rest of the Coro (the original sheets are 48"X96", new dimensions are 32"X96"
5. Sandwich the top of the panel between 2 1'X2' boards. I predrilled the 3 holes and then used the coated Drywall screws with a washer on the head to secure them
6. I started in the middle, I clamped the panel to the roof and when it was level I drilled 2 holes all the way through and attached the panel with bolts. Then did the same
for the other 4 panels.
7. The easy part was done! The hardest and most painful part was pressing the pixels through the coro.

I used the flat WS2811 pixels from Ray Wu. I ordered 4 types of pixels from Ray back in July. My and my wife looked at each pixel. While the TS3001 has more levels of color, the Ws2811 were at least twice as bright, that was the selling point. As you can see, they are really bright www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukASk78uJto These are the pixels: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WS2811-LED-pixel-node-DC5V-input-full-color-RGB-string-50pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/701799_581805567.html Ray made custom 5" spacing for me. I do not like the cylindrical pixels. The cyllindrical pixels were easily pulled out of the coro (even just by brushing against it or wind moving the panel). And I only have 200 pixels of cyllidrical type and I have pulled the wires on 3 of them apart. I have yet to pull apart a flat pixel and I have much more of those. Also, It is easier to do a visual check on the pixel to make sure they are sealed correctly, or at least appear to be.

I have to give a lot of the credit to Jim at Sandevices. I was originally creating a santa house: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20956-ccp-santa-house/ But when I went to him with E681 questions he asked why I was limiting myself to that particular shape. (of course I did purchase 4 more boards......) He showed me pictures of his lights and I was hooked. At the time he was using the pixels to display pictures. I figured that if I was going to do this I wanted video! It actually played an important part in the Live Halloween Show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITaUm0j_kw

Each panel is controlled by one E682 board. I do not come close to maxing out the number of channels in each board, but I wanted something easy. I could move each panel individually and it could be its own panel somewhere in the landscape.
All Boards are run through 1 8port router. No internet traffic, wifi is only enabled so I could control the lights from my iphone.

barbotte
01-21-2013, 12:17 AM
wow that is so cool ... i wish i had the time and money to do something like that ,,but 1 question ... how do you make a choo choo train or other graphic?? cheer

angus40
01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Ws2811 were at least twice as bright ?

How could this be ?

are you comparing apples to apples or ?

was 1 type 12v and the other 5v ?

was the module design the same on both or were they different in design , 1 is square and the other is round ?

any info here would be appreciated .

I have compared 3 pixel types with the same moduel design ( round ) lpd 6803 - tls 3001 - ws 2801 2 are 5v and 1 is 12v , the differences i noticed was the pixel-ic response and color varied greatly between them .

Thanks
Richard

thebaronn
01-21-2013, 02:48 AM

How could this be ?

was the module design the same on both or were they different in design , 1 is square and the other is round ?

I have compared 3 pixel types with the same moduel design ( round ) lpd 6803 - tls 3001 - ws 2801 2 are 5v and 1 is 12v , the differences i noticed was the pixel-ic response and color varied greatly between them .

Thanks
Richard

Well,you now have me second guessing, but yes. They were both square types of pixels and both 5V. Originally Jim told me to get the 3001 because of the bit quality (he said it would be better for video) So at the time I ordered 4, 50ct Strings (Round & Square 2801s and 3001s). When I emailed Ray about the order he said that everything was looking good but he had just got some 2811 and said They were better than the 2801. I agreed and he sent the 2811 instead of the 2801.

I plugged all 4 of them into the controller and just went simple All Red, all ble, and all green etc....

I asked my wife her opinion and she agreed that the 2811 was much brighter. That was what I based my decision on. I made a 7X7 matrix, but other than brightness I couldn't tell the difference. I am not saying that there isn't a difference, I am just saying that on my small sample, I only noticed a difference in brightness. I would love to do another matrix with 3001s, then I would know for sure. But I was very pleased with the 2811s. It was a bonus that they were 30% cheaper than the 3001s (I did not know that at the time of my decision)

The only 12V pixels I have are the WS2811 Ball pixels that I ordered in november.

I will look for test video, but don't get your hopes up.

Who knows, maybe I had a bad string or something. Not to mention it was my first DIY RGB trial.

Lionking_Tx
01-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Dude, that matrix looks awesome!

thebaronn
01-21-2013, 02:53 AM
wow that is so cool ... i wish i had the time and money to do something like that ,,but 1 question ... how do you make a choo choo train or other graphic?? cheer

Out of everything, the train was the only thing I created myself. All other video is purchased, or "borrowed".

The LSP matrix editor lets you create any graphic by clicking on boxes and assigning color. The grid was 48X80 and I clicked my way to a train. I hated every second of it. They way they have it set up now, you have to click individual squares. You can dupicate frames and move them over.

But very tedious, but My son LOVES trains and I had to make him a Christmas Train

thebaronn
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM

How could this be ?

Thanks
Richard
So you have a bunch of 3001s? Do you have any video? I was seriously considering making 1 panel of 3001s and hiding it in the 5 panels on my garage and seeing the difference. But then I realized it could be pointless based on my early tests of brightness levels. (easy to spot) I guess the only way I would truely ever know is to build another matrix of only 3001s. Is that tree in your PM signature a tree of 3001s? Any video? That's another problem, "good video" is a loose term in our hobby. When I shot the video several people said I should shoot the matrix by itself and impose it on a video of the landscape with no matrix running. Felt like cheating and maybe give some a sense that it isn't exactly what I say it is.

Maybe I sill swap out one string, well 4 strings for the socket on the E682. I don't know. I think I am doing one holiday in between now and Halloween.

Who knows.

Or maybe I will just say that I am very happy with it and work on an entirely new prop!

Santacarl
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
I figured that if I was going to do this I wanted video! .

I understand the painstaking creation of the train.....but in some of your other videos it looks like actual video clips.... How is that done? I'm assuming a software of some sort? Or are you using projectors in combo with your matrix? Yikes....I'm all excited at the possibilities..... Please coach me up!

thebaronn
01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I understand the painstaking creation of the train.....but in some of your other videos it looks like actual video clips.... How is that done? I'm assuming a software of some sort? Or are you using projectors in combo with your matrix? Yikes....I'm all excited at the possibilities..... Please coach me up!

the video renders were done with LightShowPro. For the Rudolph and Linus and Lucy songs the video was rendered anywhere from 7fps-15fps. Those songs were created when LSP was a 32bit program and I was pushing the memory limits then. On 12/3 they came out with a 64bit version, that is when I decided to create the COTB remix. The video in that songs is all at 15fps. (I could go higher, but LSP has a 500 frame limit per render right now).

For the video that I used, I either downloaded it off youtube or I purchased it. The Rudoplh and Peanuts songs were easy, just play some video and kids go crazy! (Parents too) I would decide how long I wanted it playing, trim the video in my video editor and export it to a divx codec with no sound and at 15fps (whether I was going to do it at 15 or not) Then I highlight the area in LSP and "create matrix animation" and booyah!

For the COTB, that was tougher. at this part with the bells ringing in time to the music www.youtu.be/ukASk78uJto?t=1m27s I had to use the audio when creating the video file. I had to slow down the original video file to get it to match up with the bells ringing. Then export to divx and plop it in LSP and cross my fingers that the placement was correct (I had to undo several times).

Once I got the hang of it, the sky was the limit!

Santacarl
01-26-2013, 11:36 PM
the video renders were done with LightShowPro......Once I got the hang of it, the sky was the limit!

Thanks for sharing..... I can see that I have a long way to go to catch up with that.....Need to build a new show computer...not just for the video either....But I now have an idea of what I'll need....

Does the video tax your hardware? Out of curiosity.... what computer specs (cpu...memory etc) would be preferable? I can tell from your post that I'll need to go witha 64 bit OS.....instead of the Win 7...32 bit I currently run....

Thanks again for the response.....my mind is racing with the possibilities....

thebaronn
01-27-2013, 12:41 AM
I built this at the end of 2011. I was running a Dell I bought in 2003 with a whole 1GB of RAM! LOL!
As you can see, no GPU, not really needed.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Santacarl
01-27-2013, 01:05 AM
I built this at the end of 2011. I was running a Dell I bought in 2003 with a whole 1GB of RAM! LOL!
As you can see, no GPU, not really needed.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Very nice....I'm looking at a similar setup... The only problem I see is that I won't have a backup with similar resources.....not too happy about that but.....first things first....

Haven't used LSP before.....can you run E1.31 and Renards simulteneously?

thebaronn
01-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Very nice....I'm looking at a similar setup... The only problem I see is that I won't have a backup with similar resources.....not too happy about that but.....first things first....

Haven't used LSP before.....can you run E1.31 and Renards simulteneously?

Could be worse, I have 3 computers and only 1 monitor!!!
I am so lazy and indecisive that when the last one went out, I returned it (I love costco, no 90 return policy on monitors, its the full 2 year concierge service) but then they didn't have the same one and I never bought another one. So we swap, hey, it's good for limit computer time!

And yes, you can run them simultaneously!

slug
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
second the yes on 1.31 and renards. I ran my Renards through and ECG DR4 that was off my switch. You would think adding more equipment between the pc and the controller would affect performance, but it didn't.

Santacarl
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
just curious as to how thick that coro is....looks like it needs to be pretty thin?

thebaronn
05-29-2013, 03:45 PM
just curious as to how thick that coro is....looks like it needs to be pretty thin?

Hello!

It is .157 inches thick (now I did not measure it, that is from the home depot website)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/48-in-x-96-in-White-Cap-Corrugated-Plastic-Cardboard-10-Pack-WC4896-10/202489118#.UaY-K0Yo42w

It is still up on my garage (I am surprised no one has said anything, but I guess when I'm testing stuff all the time, everyone knows I am using it, or they assume I am "the crazy neighbor")

Eric

Santacarl
05-30-2013, 12:21 PM
It is still up on my garage (I am surprised no one has said anything, but I guess when I'm testing stuff all the time, everyone knows I am using it, or they assume I am "the crazy neighbor")

Eric

Hey.....thanks for the response..... Sounds like 5.32 stuff.....which is what I use when I do a coro piece....BTW...I think I 'resemble' that remark! :blush:

Strother85
12-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Awesome matrix...2" spacing! I am going to attempt something like this for next year...but on a slightly smaller scale and then maybe add the other half the next year....Any reason why you decided not to use strips?

thebaronn
12-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Awesome matrix...2" spacing! I am going to attempt something like this for next year...but on a slightly smaller scale and then maybe add the other half the next year....Any reason why you decided not to use strips?

Really, the only reason I stayed away from strips was because of the LOR CCR.
When they brought it out everyone was head over heels, except for me I guess. I still cannot stand them.

Then I purchased a ton of those CCPixels from LOR and quickly sold them off (the controller and their network at the time could not handle my sequencing and an awesome LOR employee told me "tough"). I should actually thank him, he pushed my to the DIY world and saved me a bunch of money. So when I made my first massive purchase I just went with pixels. I went with the square pixels because Jim at sandevices said the bullet type do not stay in coro very well. The square just stay there with no glue.

Not to mention, I am sure I would snap pixel strips in 1/2 left and right. And it's a good thing I purchased pixels, cause I was able to re-purpose them into this year's 25 foot Big Ben Clock Tower Pixel Matrix!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nStJIZAdDQM

Travis
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Really, the only reason I stayed away from strips was because of the LOR CCR.
When they brought it out everyone was head over heels, except for me I guess. I still cannot stand them.

Then I purchased a ton of those CCPixels from LOR and quickly sold them off (the controller and their network at the time could not handle my sequencing and an awesome LOR employee told me "tough"). I should actually thank him, he pushed my to the DIY world and saved me a bunch of money. So when I made my first massive purchase I just went with pixels. I went with the square pixels because Jim at sandevices said the bullet type do not stay in coro very well. The square just stay there with no glue.

Not to mention, I am sure I would snap pixel strips in 1/2 left and right. And it's a good thing I purchased pixels, cause I was able to re-purpose them into this year's 25 foot Big Ben Clock Tower Pixel Matrix!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nStJIZAdDQM

Can you tell me how far back were you when you recorded this ?

thebaronn
01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I think it is 75 feet, but do not quote me. When I clean the garage and find my big measuring tape I will get you an accurate measurement.
But I know I measures it before and I am pretty sure it was 75 feet. And really, that is accross the street and I believe it to be the "sweet spot" for viewing. Here is video on the original pixel screen with an Easter Video. This sequence uses 15fps on the video and features actual game play from the arcade game (It's a K-Pop version of a Beethoven song, one of my top 10 songs of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m7E541bx8o
This is only 20ft away, and you can tell its too much space between pixels (Visually speaking). But I'm lucky because the human will compensate on so many levels.
But I still love it.