PDA

View Full Version : Splitting up the various parts into sub groups

Warlock
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Like the flood kits instead of having them in other hardware or leds etc...To hard to find info on the various types..
Also some of the renard needs to be split,like dmx for renards etc...Would make it more user friendly for new people to find info on making a renard etc dmx instead of spending hours to find info on said issues..Even the radio waves is getting difficult,maybe a sub group for antenna's would be a cool idea,noise issues,set-up's other use etc...As we expand we need to split things up more and more to help all of us keep track..I've also noticed the pixel area is getting confusing as well...E1.31,plus others systems are getting mixed up.If all had a general area to compair which is better for this or that then a more general area for questions on a certain one would be great...Like jysys,e1.31 in general,the dmx pixel bridge etc...

Jrd
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't think we need that many subforums. I think it would make us look more like PC and give the mods a lot of unnecessary work.

Warlock
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Really Jrd ??? I beg to differ for the simple fact not everyone uses tags..Makes it really difficult to find info with regards to floodlighting,strips..etc just for a simple example...So I think sub headings are valuable...JMO and it would also cut down on multipal questions with regards to the same thing being asked...Another example is the dmx bridge..Where should that go in a section on e1.31 or in the dmx section ???? For the use as it is it should logically go under a e1.31 section subheading,now taht subheading can either be under pixels or under dmx depending on the nature of the question,but at least if it is a dmx question relating to this device then it makes it easier to find,if it is a e1.31 question then it also makes it easier to find this info...This is a library of knowledge we have here..We have to look after it...

P. Short
01-18-2013, 09:28 PM
While I'm fairly neutral on this question, I sort of wonder if it would help or not. People post stuff in the wrong forum all of the time, and at the moment it's fairly rare for us mods to move threads or posts from one forum to another. I'd just recommend using the search feature.

4586shaggy
01-18-2013, 09:33 PM
+1 Phil Search has helped me soooooo much.

Jrd
01-19-2013, 01:35 AM
Yes really, as Phil said:
While I'm fairly neutral on this question, I sort of wonder if it would help or not. People post stuff in the wrong forum all of the time, and at the moment it's fairly rare for us mods to move threads or posts from one forum to another. I'd just recommend using the search feature.

They just do it, now having said that, I could see a sub-forum for all the ethernet based controllers/protocols.(e1.31/sACN/Artnet/etc) Whether they are converting ethernet to DMX, Renard, or any of the various pixel protocols. Of course then it sorta becomes a "catch-all" because currently you can post ethernet controllers in a category based on the output protocol you are using.

Most of the information a new user could need is posted in the Wiki but they will still post a new topic rather than search the forum. (or the wiki) It's just the way of it with many of them.