PDA

View Full Version : Cut an LED String

MichiganLights
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I founds posts circa 2010, 2011 dealing with cutting down incandescent or LED strings.

With today's C6 LED light strings are you still limited to breaking the strings at 25 or 50 counts? I don't want to fiddle wit resisters or diodes if at all possible.

I'm planning on jumping in on the CDI group buy and need to figure out what size and how many strings to buy. for the C6 mini's where is the "natural" break, 25, 50 or other?

rstehle
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I founds posts circa 2010, 2011 dealing with cutting down incandescent or LED strings.

With today's C6 LED light strings are you still limited to breaking the strings at 25 or 50 counts? I don't want to fiddle wit resisters or diodes if at all possible.

I'm planning on jumping in on the CDI group buy and need to figure out what size and how many strings to buy. for the C6 mini's where is the "natural" break, 25, 50 or other?

With today's fully sealed full wave strings, there is no easy cut point. 3 Wires in and 3 wires out of each of the 'blobs'. If you cut a string, you will have to create a new rectifier (blob) for the piece without one. You might actually be better off to explore using 'Pixel' strings or strips. They can be cut to almost any length you want.

MichiganLights
01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Are full wave different than 1/2 wave?

I'm looking at a Philips 60 count string. I believe these are 1/2 wave they flicker slightly. There is a two wire section at the mid point. If I understand correctly I can cut the string here. :huh: Is this true?

Are full wave strings wired differently?

XmasLightGuy
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Yep...Phillips strings are indeed are half-wave, and should be able to be cut in the center...right where you see that 2-wire section

Some full-wave strings have half the diode-bridge(rectifier) built into each (beginning/end plug, others have a full diode-bridge within a 'blob' after the beginning plug...either way, cut the string and it won't work, or the 2nd part would no longer be full-wave