PDA

View Full Version : can we sticky the download location?

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Can we please sticky a post with the download location for the current vixen 3 files.

I've now gone to look for it 3 or 4 times, and every time i go to try and find it, i end up thumbing thru dozens of pages of threads trying to find the link that i can never remember. This time i've spent over 20 minutes and still can't find it!

RavingLunatic
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
bookmark this site:

http://www.vixenlights.com/download/alpha/

imbluenote
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
there is also a

http://www.vixenlights.com/download/build/

which should we be pulling from?

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I just found it a few minutes ago. The problem is that when I'm looking to download it, I'm at a different computer, so bookmarking does no good. It just seems like it be logical for the download location to be stuck at the top of the release info section.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n_gifford
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
This thread makes me appreciate Google Chrome, and all of my bookmarks across ALL of my devices....

ErnieHorning
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
The problem is that when I'm looking to download it, I'm at a different computer, so bookmarking does no good.Maybe it's just me but I carry a USB memory stick with me all the time. Just drag a shorcut onto it. You run it like you would a shorcut on your desktop. It works on any internet connected computer then.

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I carry one too but I don't trust it for reference, just for temp storage. It seems like they die in my pocket every few months and I start again with another blank one. There's lots of ways I "could" store it, but that's not the point. It should be easy to just find. Even google can't find it easily. The only search term I could use for google to find it was using the full version number, ("vixen 3.0.3.1")and if you're looking to download it, you likely don't know that.
Seriously though, is it that hard to sticky it. This is the de facto reference location for this software, isn't it a pretty basic thing to tell people where to get it?

mrlightmadness
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
google chrome! keeps up with all your book marks on multiple devices and my phone to!!

sallz0r
01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm in the process of seeing if I can become a admin for this subforum, since I've fallen into a defacto administration/support role for the software. So if that happens, I'll clean up a bunch of stuff, including a sticky for release information.

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
That is actually good news. I'm surprised you're not already an admin. You're very active and always right on top of all the questions

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM
If you need any help with writing documentation or cleanup let me know. That's actually something I'm quite experienced at.

sallz0r
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh, seriously, that's *exactly* what we need -- between actual development work, and then the admin/support work, I have no time for documentation at all. What sort of stuff would you be interested in, or what sort of documentation are you talking about? One thing I'd like to do is some introductory stuff -- I'm going to make a screencast video tutorial for a quick setup/introduction, but it would be great to have actual documentation as well. either a full manual (maybe hosted on a wiki-style site?), or a document that is a "getting started" sort of thing.

I know one of the big barriers to people getting started with Vixen 3 is the complexity and change when they first try to start it, and I'd like to address that if possible.

jchuchla
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Well my biggest limitation is I don't myself have a good grasp of the software. (Remember i'm the guy who cant even find it when i want to play) And secondly it's hard at this point to document the moving target that the project seems to be (at least from my point of view).
I think a manual and a well written wiki are pretty much one and the same thing. That's probably what this thing needs.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sallz0r
01-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Well my biggest limitation is I don't myself have a good grasp of the software. (Remember i'm the guy who cant even find it when i want to play) And secondly it's hard at this point to document the moving target that the project seems to be (at least from my point of view).
I think a manual and a well written wiki are pretty much one and the same thing. That's probably what this thing needs.

Yup, I agree. Give me a week or two, I'll try and get stuff a bit more organized (sticky posts on the forum, download links, and I'll see if I can get a wiki set up), and then we can have a chat about how to go about the documenting? If you have any thoughts in the meantime, feel free to ping me too. :-) (If you want, send me a PM and we can swap email addresses, and discuss stuff there..... or in a new thread if you want to keep it public, etc....)

sallz0r
01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Sticky post is done! It's here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?24922-Vixen-3-Current-Status-and-Download-Links)..... but I'm in the process of updating the VixenLights website as well, so it's still a work-in-progress.

I hope to do a new release this weekend, and will update it all then.

Lionking_Tx
01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Sticky post is done! It's here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?24922-Vixen-3-Current-Status-and-Download-Links)..... but I'm in the process of updating the VixenLights website as well, so it's still a work-in-progress.

I hope to do a new release this weekend, and will update it all then.

An update to Vixenlights ? Wow.... never thought I will see that in my lifetime :)
OK, sarcasm/off - Thanx Michael, you are truly bringing the spirit back

jeffro
01-09-2013, 02:04 PM
This thread makes me appreciate Google Chrome, and all of my bookmarks across ALL of my devices....

Ditto.

macebobo
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM

If you use Firefox, it has built in sync - never lose a bookmark again (or history or password or...)

ErnieHorning
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Sticky post is done!Yup, verified. My keyboard is now sticky. :er:

JerryPlak
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Yup, verified. My keyboard is now sticky. :er:

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

budude
01-11-2013, 04:00 PM
:w00t::w00t::w00t:

tmi, tmi...